• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Homefryes' BATatorium

Started by homefryes, December 07, 2008, 02:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homefryes

Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy! I think I'm really onto something now!

• I've made it a prop
  • I've removed the lot's base texture in the Reader (after doing a little research on how to do that)
  • I've put it on a lot that flattens the ground -- totally unnoticeable when the grid is turned off -- so there will be no floating feet
  • I've added a few "weed" props
... and voila!

-- Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Andreas

Now that looks tremendously better than those huge foundations you had before. :) I'm not sure if there's a better way (i. e. using custom foundations etc.), as my BATting knowledge is of a more theoretical nature, but I figure that you would do that in RL (at least to a certain extent) as well when erecting new powerlines.
Andreas

WillG_75

metarvo

Oh, yes!  :thumbsup:  You did it, Don.  That tower is looking better and better all the time.  Slopes have been an ongoing problem in my project, too, so I'm taking a good look at every possible solution.  I have some ideas now.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Nexis4Jersey

Interesting High voltage towers :thumbsup:, will these replace the maxis power lines?  ()what()

homefryes

Thank you, all, so much! I'm quite pleased with this result.  :satisfied:

Nexis4Jersey, I'm sorry, but these will not be a replacement for the in-game towers. They are an optional addendum to my utility poles project (see link in my sig) that satisfy a need I have for a specific area in my MD (also linked below, though I'm not at this point yet).

Off to work on the rest of the lots.

-- Don

SimGoober

By George, I think he's got it!
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

homefryes

I'm pleased to present my latest (and quite possibly "final") version. I'm not quite sure I'm doing the transparent bases 100% correct, because I have found issues if I place any of these next to each other, a road or anything else. If placed next to something, the base ends up a black hole. Is this normal? I've never had this issue with the transparent wooded lots. But in any case, as long as I have blank lots surrounding these (trees are okay), they work just fine.

Clockwise from upper-left: orth-to-orth, diag-to-diag, orth-to-diag-left, orth-to-diag-right

Example river crossing

North slope

North end

South slope

Nifty shadow ;)

-- Don

Pat

Hey Don I think you and metarvo should get together and do a Reutility of SC4 hmm?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

metarvo

Quote from: homefryes on March 29, 2009, 08:44:37 AM
If placed next to something, the base ends up a black hole. Is this normal?

Is it the Water Bug, which is known to have the symptoms you're describing?  If it is, the problem can be temporarily solved by going into the Zones Data View and then going back to the normal view.  This may not even be the problem, but it never hurts to try the easy solutions first.  I hope this helps you, Don.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

homefryes

Pat: LOL!  :D
Metarvo, I do believe that's the problem, from what I've been able to find in searches. Knowing there's a work-around is good enough for me, thanks!

I guess, then, if anyone is interested in having this or trying it out, here's a download linkie.

Keep in mind, I designed this mainly as a supplement to my utility poles (link in my sig below); certainly users can use this however they wish. But if you haven't yet gotten my utility poles, let me know via PM or reply here if you are interested in them.

-- Don

Andreas

You can avoid the Water Graphics Bug by removing the lot texture(s) completely - the problem is caused by an overlay texture that is placed on a lot without base texture. If you delete the base texture in the Reader, make sure to right-click and select "ReIndex LotConfig", otherwise, said bug might be triggered as well.
Andreas

homefryes

Hmm, Andreas, that's strange, because I don't have any overlay textures on the lots either. Just one base texture.

-- Don

homefryes

Hello -

As I posted elsewhere, I am slowly emerging from my (much too long) hiatus, and although I've no progress on my MD to share at this point, I did want to let you know I've fired up the BAT once again.

Cambridge Townhomes
Firstly, I'm happy to announce that BarbyW (after nudging me multiple times) is preparing to release a set of townhouses and lots that I first conceived over two years ago! The townhome/condominium buildings are based on a former builder here in the US called Cambridge Homes. The company has since been bought out by another builder, but when Cambridge was building their communities, they would usually give the streets British names. My buildings have the following features:
• eight different colors (designed from real colors found on a vinyl siding website)
• right- and left-hand models
• 15°, 30° and 45° rotations to allow for multiple townhome communities.
Here is a link to a web page I put together 2 years ago which shows off the colors and the buildings, and here are a few Lot Editor (LE) pics, as I currently do not have any in-game pics to share.

Various lots — clockwise from left: showcasing the front; showcasing the end unit (which, from the street, looks like a stand-alone house); showcasing the back.

Various lots — two 4-building lots and one 7-building lot

Various lots — 5-, 6- and 8-building lots

Be on the lookout for these to be released on the LEX soon!

Residentials-turned-commercial (R2C)
Now, for my current project. I had also created some other buildings a year or two ago. I like to call them residentials-turned-commercial, or R2C for short. (I suppose there's a better name that includes "conversions" or something, but I like R2C!) The thought behind these properties is that in practically every village, town, borough, city, etc., you come across a commercial building that was once a residence, in particular large (and sometimes fancy) Victorian houses; many common uses are law offices, small medical and/or dental buildings, insurance offices, funeral homes, etc. Initially, I had only BATted and lotted three properties. Sadly, in a momentary memory lapse, I deleted them off of my old hard drive! UGH!

So, after putting some finishing touches on the Cambridge lots and shipping them off to BarbyW, I decided I'd see if I could recreate my R2C's once again. I started by finding the same great authentic Victorian floor plans that I found before, and also found some others I liked as well. I am planning to do more buildings this time around.

This first building, Ulrich Dental Associates, is one I'd not done before:

Ulrich Dental Associates — LE image in center with BAT preview images on the left and right)

The second building, Hanni & Hanni Law Offices, is a recreation of one I lost:

Hanni & Hanni Law Offices in BAT — a left-side view in the center shows the colors used on the lower level, while the left and right images are BAT preview images of the front

I am currently working on the third, Marilyn's Music Institute, which is also one I had lost:

Marilyn's Music Institute (unfinished) in BAT — the front view is on the left and the left side view is on the right

More to come.....
-- Don

BarbyW

The Cambridge Townhomes have been posted for the scrutineers to cast their eyes over. As I know these grow I just need confirmation that the installer and Readme are correct. These should be on a LEX near you within the week.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

rushman5

....And they are a beautiful and non-distracting addition to my plugins folder!!!  Good work

ponnie

Good work indeed!  :thumbsup:.

I also like your R2C preview. Interesting. Since there are not so many low stage office buildings around, these will fill that gap perfectly.

homefryes

Hi,

Barby, thanks for nudging me (repeatedly) to get the townhomes completed!
rushman5, thanks for the compliment on the Cambridge project.
ponnie, I appreciate the positive feedback.

One of the things I anticipate happening with these R2C lots (in game) is that you'll probably end up with a ton of them at first. One of the tactics I employ in those situations is to pick one of each that is in a location you like and is unlikely to ever get bulldozed for a future project and make it "historical." This will keep it from being overtaken automatically. Always plan ahead and know that things are going to disappear over time as development progresses, whether it be because you need that space for something else or because the game builds new things on its own. Over time you can have this progressive city with these (and others at your choosing) nice historical-looking buildings that stand the test of time; very true-to-life.

Here's an update on my progress.

Marilyn's Music Institute: featuring a rounded porch on the front and two shades of green on the exterior with white trim.

Marilyn's Music Institute (front day/night and side views)

Thompson-Marcy Funeral Home: white stucco exterior with black shutters and white brick patio, porch and fireplaces. The parlors open up to a grand brick patio which is partially covered and also features a pergola and black wrought iron fence.

Thompson-Marcy Funeral Home (front day/night, side and back views)

Since putting these screen shots together, I have already cranked out two more buildings, Humphrey Insurance Agency and Fritz's Italian Ristorante, and am working on Avis' Antiques! I'll share them soon.

-- Don

Battlecat

Those are beautiful buildings you've got there!  They'll be great for small town businesses but they'd also make great farm homes from the look of them!