• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fafalone

I can't seem to find the information about making custom flups textures... I have a general idea what to do, but have a couple questions:

There's already a custom set with 6 textures, and the default install only mentions these 6 spaces. So is it not possible to have multiple expansions? How do they get linked to the flups; would the exemplar TGI's in the expansion have to be the same as in the SFBT set if its only possible to have one set, or what ids would a new set need to use?

Chrisim

Sorry for my short reply due to RL: a FLUPs tutorial is in preparation, probably ready for next weekend

fafalone

Cool.. looking forward to it. I plan on finally making a set for the airport ramps, taxiways, and maybe roads.

Wilfried

Is or will there be any possibility, to make a avenue-roundabout/one-way underpass? Like this here:

Jonathan

I don't think that piece will possible (well it might but would require some jiggling around that may make such a piece unstable) as the ramp would be going in the same direction as the roundabout.

Wilfried

So, this could be done with subway transition lots as a workaround. But can the FLUP models be used as such?

z

The implication of what Jonathan is saying is that because the upper and lower roadways would be going in the same direction, traffic could jump levels unpredictably.  So this wouldn't work with FLUPs.

Wilfried

It would work, you only need to do the ramps as transit-enabled lots which then would convert road traffic into subway, and vice versa.

My question here is if it's possible to use the FLUP models to achieve this.

z

I misunderstood your question.  You could certainly build TE lots using the FLUPs models to do this, but I believe that ramps with the function that you want already exist on the STEX.  You may need to do some minor tweaking to make them one-way, though.

dragonshardz

Actually, if he use the Big Dig lots available on the LEX, he won't need to do any tweaking.

OwlGreene

Ok!  Now that my lifelong wish of driving subways has been fulfilled via the newest FLUPs in the NAM, I'm ready to try to conquer subway stations.  I determined that if you place a passenger rail station along underground rail tracks, a magic "ramp" allows the passengers to use the station.  But what if I put a GLR station along the underground tram tracks?  Will this create a "subway" station?  And if so, does anyone know any links to a GLR station that doesn't have tracks?  Someone enlighten me!!!  As of now, I just have the tracks emerge from underground to a surface station, then go back underground. 
     Second, is it possible for the hillside GLR-to-subway piece to be reworked so it may do the same thing, just from GLR to underground tram?  I'm sure there isn't too much demand, but there are cities whose subways emerge, yet continue in an open cut (like some of the outlying London Tube stations)?  If not the hillside piece, then perhaps just a tunnel entrance flush with the ground.  Whoever created the FLUPs had the idea, because the piece exists as street-to-underground road.  For me, this is the only missing piece in the game. 

OwlGreene

While I'm at it, there's one more burning question.  The newest puzzle pieces for the Underground Rail are the best, and they're very thorough.  Can those pieces be created for Underground Tram as well?  The versitility of these pieces are far more practical as tram pieces, being that most cities which use trams/subways have a very broad spectrum of construction in reality.

Andreas

Well, for trams, you can simply use the subway tool. ;) There are several lots that allow tram/subway conversions.
Andreas

OwlGreene

I know I can easily convert to subway, but I can't UDI through a bonafide subway, and I only build these cities to drive through them.  That one puzzle piece would save the world for me, and I'm sure a few other players who enjoy the UDI function.  Also, can a GLR station be plopped next to the GLR FLUP tunnel to simulate a subway station????

kassarc16

We need a station pack for that purpose, both GLR and URAIL. Can the GLR pieces interact with the URAIL, BTW? Allowing EL to run on those tracks too?

OwlGreene

On my computer the GLR train disappears once it reaches the URail tracks.  That saddened me.  Before downloading NAM May 2010, the GLR would indeed drive on heavy rail tracks.  If the GLR would/could use the URail tracks, that'd make it so much easier to build the subways.  Right now I'm restricted to straight lines.  The puzzle pieces say something about them being used for curves and junctions?????  How?????

Chrisim

There is a difference between the Underground Rail and the FLUPs. U-Rail supports rail, but not GLR/tram and light rail. FLUPs supports GLR/tram and light rail, but not normal rail. Of course, we thought about combining it in one system, but there are technical limitations.
OwlGreene, have you seen the tutorial on FLUPs? It answers some of your questions. Here is the link.

Monorail Master

I'm not sure if this question fits under this topic, but move if needed.

Ok, for the U-Rail, what happened to the U-Rail under Ground Highway puzzle piece? That piece is really needed and would become very reliefing. I mean really, who'd wants to convert it from U-Rail to EL-Heavy Rail, cross a highway, and then convert it back to U-Rail? Thus wasting about $50,000 In-game money!!!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

TEG24601

Any plans for FLUPs under RHW or even just for RHW-2/4 to go under other networks?

TEG

vinlabsc3k

Quote from: Monorail Master on May 19, 2010, 03:47:29 PM
I'm not sure if this question fits under this topic, but move if needed.

Ok, for the U-Rail, what happened to the U-Rail under Ground Highway puzzle piece? That piece is really needed and would become very reliefing. I mean really, who'd wants to convert it from U-Rail to EL-Heavy Rail, cross a highway, and then convert it back to U-Rail? Thus wasting about $50,000 In-game money!!!

Monorail Master, I've used the FLUPs under Ground Highway to make trains go underground and it works for me with the paths and UDI  ;D. I don't know if it's a my unexpected "good" bug :-[ or it works really for everyone :-\, but u try it.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!