• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelyboy911

With regards to those toll booths: They look superb, but would it be possible to have a version with signs in Kilometres per Hour, rather than miles. I'm being picky, I know, but lots of (sensible) countries use the metric system. I would suggest using 90 kph as the slowed down speed. 100 (in NZ) is the standard open road speed limit.

Heres something I had a go at making:

Its just a texture, obviously, If it's of a good enough standard to be included in RHW someone will have to path it, or teach me how.

To explain this intersection: Two busy roads, intersect, one is busier than the other, so is given priority. The turning lanes allow easy left turns (In New Zealand, for N. America and Europe right turns), with space to decelerate into/accellerate out of the turn. At some stage (soon) turning lanes will be added into the median of the main road, in a configuration like I showed earlier. I will also get onto those roundabouts - If you think this texture is good enough.

Edit: I think there might be a slight alignment issue on the vertical road.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

darraghf

Actually if you were going to have the slow-down speed as 90kph, you can expect accidents. Here in Ireland, the speed gradually decreases from either 120 or 100 to 80, then to 50 and then the lowest speed of 30kph, then after the toll booth the speed limit is back to normal after lane merges.
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

joelyboy911

Well, his one says slow down to 65 mph, so I would guess that this is even faster than 90 kph, in fact its 104, so... But you are totally right of course. At the end of the day, however - it makes no real difference, the toll booth looks cool either way. In fact there are nearly no toll booths in NZ. The most prominent is one which you are meant to pay in advance, and then cameras see your number plate and someone (or maybe its a computer?) checks whether you have paid or not. I can't remember if they installed a coin pay at the side of the road or not, but I remember that you were able to pay by calling or text messaging... This is the same government which at the same time is telling people not to do those things while driving.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

riiga

Very good texture joelyboy911&apls

I'll probably make a Euro version, if that is OK?

- riiga

joelyboy911

Thank you very much. Of course it's OK!

But there was an issue with the vertical road being off centre, so I will just go and get the fixed one.

EDIT: Here it is:

And the RHD Version.

I could implement something similar for at-grade crossings of RHW-2 and RHW-4, as well. And If you are ever doing RHW-3 - Count me in for textures - We here in NZ have heaps of these along SH1, in short sections known as passing lanes.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

riiga

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 16, 2009, 04:12:07 AM
... And If you are ever doing RHW-3 - Count me in for textures - We here in NZ have heaps of these along SH1, in short sections known as passing lanes.

RHW-3, also know as 2+1 road is very common where I live. I'd love to have RHW-3 with passing lanes and intersections!

joelyboy911

I can't wait. (I can of course.... figure of speech) I am also eager to see how you make this as Euro texture. I used that mod for a long time, and only recently switched back - I'm not totally sold on either.

***EDIT***

Am I still using an outdated RHW? I see your RHW-2s with these solid double lines?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

u.mueller

Blue Lightning: That's good news on the toll booths!

joelyboy911: Nice textures. I daresay that RHW2 roundabouts could be put to good use in the city I am currently building.

I did not read the entire thread, as it is quite long, but I saw something about diagonal style 'B' exit/entry ramps somewhere. Now, that is exactly the puzzle piece I need for a specific entry ramp on the RHW I am building. However I cannot seem to find it. Has it not yet been released? ()what()

EDIT: Found the culprit here [linkie].

Anyways, I quite enjoy using the RHW. It is so much more flexible than the standard Maxis highway!

joelyboy911

Thanks u.mueller. I also intend BATting some centre lots for them with signs etc, if they are ever made into puzzle pieces.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

io_bg

Quote from: u.mueller on July 16, 2009, 07:00:29 AMI saw something about diagonal style 'B' exit/entry ramps somewhere. Now, that is exactly the puzzle piece I need for a specific entry ramp on the RHW I am building. However I cannot seem to find it. Has it not yet been released? ()what()

EDIT: Found the culprit here [linkie]
I have the same problem with that B ramp!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tarkus

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 16, 2009, 04:51:07 AM
Am I still using an outdated RHW? I see your RHW-2s with these solid double lines?

I've been creating a new texture set that will more than likely be included in RHW Version 4.  I've attached the new RHW-2 texture below in 256x256 (Hi-Def) PNG format.

Those textures you've done thus far look fantastic, joelyboy911!  I think my RUL 0x00000014 experience will help out with those. ;)  I'd be careful about stop lines, though--they tend to introduce some complications with mirroring if they are built into the texture.  I've been thinking that modeling the stop lines and using T21 exemplars may be the best way to implement those.  I actually did an experiment with that technique awhile ago, and it worked--just haven't had time to mess with it much since:

-Alex

kings_niners

as far as getting rid of the loop connectors is concerned, has that also been implemented with the larger rhw 6-8, etc. or is it merely with the rhw-4?

joelyboy911

OK, It looks like the roundabout can stay mostly as-is, but I guess the entry points will have to be re-done. The intersection with slip lanes will need to be totally redone, I think.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Ramona Brie

RHW-6C might be the only network that (somewhat even) works without a loop connector. (The middle tile is bidirectional, which means traffic can use it normally.)

Tarkus

Quote from: kings_niners on July 16, 2009, 06:46:01 PM
as far as getting rid of the loop connectors is concerned, has that also been implemented with the larger rhw 6-8, etc. or is it merely with the rhw-4?

Currently, only the piece for the RHW-4 is done, but it'll get implemented on all the one-way RHWs (MIS Ramp, RHW-6S, RHW-6C, RHW-8, RHW-10, ERHW-4, EMIS) when everything is said and done.  While as Tracker points out that the RHW-6C middle tile is bi-directionally pathed, I still intend to include an RHW-6C piece, so as to relieve the "stress" put on the middle tile.

The RHW-3 will not need one when it is added, as all the pathing is contained on one tile.

-Alex

kings_niners

awesome, thanks for clarifying that for me alex.

riiga

I've now finished my European version of joelyboy911's RHW-2 intersection.

Here's the RHD version:

and here's the LHD one:

Your feedback is appreciated! :)

- riiga

sithlrd98

riiga

I had a go at creating textures for the RHW-3, based on this road just outside my hometown:

Here's the result:

2 tiles (with space for a barrier)

and 1 tile (no barrier)

- riiga