• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Official Terry Pratchett Thread

Started by Diggis, May 25, 2008, 12:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsOn

QuoteTo look at him, you'd see a man who might well, if he fell over a cliff, have to stop and ask directions on the way down. - Thud

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

wes.janson

Quote from: Diggis on May 25, 2008, 12:48:01 PM
I don't think it's possible to be bored when Terry Pratchett is involved.  I was very saddened to learn of the onset of Alzheimer's.  :'(

And not only is death the only character to appear in all the books (although didn't realise he wasn't in wee free men, only read it once) but his is by far the best character.  The books where he is a main character are some of the best.  Loved Reaper Man.  It's what got me started.

This is the rumour as to why they are making the Wee Free Men into a feature length instead of countless other better choices (IMHO).. They worry that the anthromorphic personification of Death will scare children.

I absolutely ADORE Prachett. My little 3 year old boy gets read a little bit every night before he goes to bed and he actually begs me to play either the Hogswatch movie or the newer Colour of Magic when it's his video time.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

BarbyW

Quote"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure
sign of a diseased mind."
        -- Something that Terry feels strongly about, because a similar
           quote also appears in "Reaper Man"
           (Terry Pratchett, Eric)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

catty

After DEATH, I think my two favourites are Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg

Quotefrom Maskerade

The wind howled. The storm crackled on the mountains. Lightning prodded the crags like an old man trying to get an elusive blackberry pip out of his false teeth.
Among the hissing furze bushes a fire blazed, the flames driven this way and that by the gusts.
An eldritch voice shrieked: "When shall we...two...meet again?"
Thunder rolled.
A rather more ordinary voice said: "What'd you go and shout that for? You made me drop my toast in the fire."
Nanny Ogg sat down again.
"Sorry, Esme. I was just doing it for...you know...old time's sake...Doesn't roll off the tongue, though."
"I'd just got it nice and brown, too."
"Sorry."
"Anyway, you didn't have to shout."
"Sorry."
"I mean, I ain't deaf. You could've just asked me in a normal voice. And I'd have said, 'Next Wednesday.'"
"Sorry, Esme."
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

callagrafx

Quote from: wes.janson on May 26, 2008, 07:18:56 PM
This is the rumour as to why they are making the Wee Free Men into a feature length instead of countless other better choices (IMHO).. They worry that the anthromorphic personification of Death will scare children.

I absolutely ADORE Prachett. My little 3 year old boy gets read a little bit every night before he goes to bed and he actually begs me to play either the Hogswatch movie or the newer Colour of Magic when it's his video time.

The main reason The Wee Free Men has been chosen is because this is the book Terry Gilliam wants to make...There have been talks previously, most notably Good Omens (which is one of the best reads ever) with Johnny Depp as Crowley but neither Terry or Neil Gaiman have any faith in Hollywood, especially as they'd want to set it in the US, not middle England.  Terry Pratchett's relationship with Hollywood is strained, which is why Sky have made the last two features.  However, these do not have the feel of a feature...I'm not sure what it is but it's like a large scale Dr Who production.  I really enjoyed Hogfather as they kept close to the book and the casting was inspired, however The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic didn't work for me because David Jason was just not Rincewind. Rincewind has always been described (and illustrated) as young, skinny and bedraggled.  The role was perfect for Rhys Ifans (omitting the Welsh accent) but as Jason was stumping up a lot of the cash, he obviously had to have the title role.

If they decide to make some more, I'd really like to see Night Watch made into a feature...Alan Rickman would make a hysterical Vimes.  :thumbsup:

Night Watch has the honour of being the most inspired cover for a book...

Original:

Kidby version:

Although since then a lot of his covers are parodies..

The Last Hero (parody of Scream)

Monstrous Regiment (Flag raising on Iwo Jima)
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on May 27, 2008, 12:48:28 AM
<snip> notably Good Omens (which is one of the best reads ever) with Johnny Depp as Crowley<snip>

<snip> because David Jason was just not Rincewind. Rincewind has always been described (and illustrated) as young, skinny and bedraggled. <snip>

<snip> If they decide to make some more, I'd really like to see Night Watch made into a feature...Alan Rickman would make a hysterical Vimes.  :thumbsup: <snip>

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

There was apparently also talk of Holywood doing Mort, although they weren't sure the American's would get Death so wanted to cut him out.  ()what()

BarbyW

Terry on the USA (apologies in advance to our friends across the pond)
QuotePeople whose concept of ancient history is the first series of Star Trek
may be treated with patience, because it's usually not their fault they
were reduced to getting their education from school.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

HandsOn

From Nightwatch to Thud - the entire Vimes/Carrot/Angua series ought to be made into movies. Although I would cast J. Irons as Lord V, with Rickman being more an Otto for me (just to get him out the Potter frame of acting)

QuoteGive a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Discworld

QuoteThe duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo. - Wyred Sisters

mightygoose

monstrous regiment would amke an interesting feature, especially casting the majority of the characters and their secret.....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

HandsOn

QuoteIt was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.  - Jingo

This should produce some "interesting" results:
Who would you cast, irrespective of movie/tv film, and without reorting to too much special effects, in the following roles

• Cpt. Vimes
  • Carrot
  • Angua
  • Nobbs
  • Lord V.
  • Granny Weatherwax
  • Nanny Oog
  • The Librarian
  • Ponder Stibbons
  • Rincewind
  • Susan
  • Moist von Lipwig

Let's see who get's the most  nominations..

Edit: Err..if the name of the nominated actor isn't on the tip ove everyone's tongue, maybe a link/pic could be, err, included..?

Diggis

I'll think on the others and get back to you but there really is only one candidate in my mind for the Librarian and thats Andy Serkis.  Poor guy never could get himself on screen, but I'm a huge fan and think he would play the part to perfection.

And I'm sorry, but he has to be special effects.

Shadow Assassin

Clint Eastwood would have been perfect to play the role of Sam Vimes, but since it's er, kind of too late for that. :P

I actually did quite like Michelle Dockery playing Susan, though... she really did fit the character quite well. :P

QuoteThere was apparently also talk of Holywood doing Mort, although they weren't sure the American's would get Death so wanted to cut him out.

That's just dumb. Isn't Death, like, one of the most important characters in that book? :P

Speaking of Holy Wood, wonder how Moving Pictures would be received as a er, movie? :P

And Diggis, I agree. He did do a good job playing Gollum. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 27, 2008, 06:29:59 AM
Clint Eastwood would have been perfect to play the role of Sam Vimes, but since it's er, kind of too late for that. :P

That's just dumb. Isn't Death, like, one of the most important characters in that book? :P

I was thinking the same thing about Clint.  Always been whats in my head.

As for that comment about Mort it came out of one of the books I think, but as my collection is in a box in NZ I can't check which one.  One of the addon pieces, maybe the Deaths Domain Map, or the omnibus preable, but I found this on the net which is pretty much it: http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/TV_and_film_adaptations

Shadow Assassin

I was thinking the same thing about Clint.  Always been whats in my head.

There is a certain familiarity there, isn't there? :P

...and in the Art of Discworld, Paul Kidby actually did say that he was thinking Clint Eastwood as he drew Sam Vimes as he imagined.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

callagrafx

Clint Eastwood was the inspiration for Judge Dredd (the original 2000AD comic) and was drawn to resemble him...Not sure he'd make a good Vimes though.  Vimes is a self confessed (excuse my french) bastard...If John Thaw were still alive he'd be a good choice.  Mr Eastwood just cannot do comedy, and it would have to be a black comedy for sure.

Totally agree with Shaun that Andy Serkis would make the perfect librarian.

I think the best Vetinari would be Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder).
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on May 27, 2008, 07:46:10 AM
I think the best Vetinari would be Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder).

I think he would play the part well, but not sure he has the right look.  Not quite smart enough.  He's always looked a little scruffy.

Rickman would make a better Vetinari possibly.

wes.janson

Rickman as Vimes? Ooooh... I never would have thought of that, but once you point it out, it is obvious.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

callagrafx

Quote from: Diggis on May 27, 2008, 07:57:33 AM
I think he would play the part well, but not sure he has the right look.  Not quite smart enough.  He's always looked a little scruffy.

I dunno, slick his hair back and pale his face and the image is spot on...more importantly he has the best comic timing and can deliver lines in such a way that, even if the content isn't funny, the delivery is. 

Add a goatee and there we have him...

However, that's prompted the perfect Nobby Nobbs...Tony Robinson (aka Baldrick).

HandsOn

Quote from: callagrafx on May 27, 2008, 08:28:25 AM
I dunno, slick his hair back and pale his face and the image is spot on...more importantly he has the best comic timing and can deliver lines in such a way that, even if the content isn't funny, the delivery is. 

Add a goatee and there we have him...
However, that's prompted the perfect Nobby Nobbs...Tony Robinson (aka Baldrick).
You mean like this..?

And yes, TR would be perfect for Nobbs - if he were a tad younger..

Diggis

K, point taken.  And Tony Robinson voiced the first computer game and was perfect.

And how about Mark Addy (Full Monty, Shaun of the Dead) as Colon.  Possibly a bit young, maybe Colon from Night Watch.