• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Imageshack (and other image hosting sites) Troubles

Started by allan_kuan1992, August 29, 2008, 09:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

As of right now, it appears Imageshack is down, because a number of images, including two of my own, are down.

I guess they don't tell the reason why it might be... but i think i remember a case where one hosting site got lost a few years ago. Which makes me afraid. >.<

- Allan Kuan

blade2k5

I'm not having any problems with Imageshack.....all 706 images I've uploaded are still there and viewable.  Maybe it was a glitch in their system...hope you have better luck next time you log in over there :thumbsup: 

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Shadow Assassin

Quotebut i think i remember a case where one hosting site got lost a few years ago.

If you're referring to ImgCity, that was because Imageshack threatened to shut them down for infringing on their copyrights (in fact, if I remember, ImgCity's copyright notice was taken straight from Imageshack's website).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

paroch

I'm having trouble uploading images to ImageShack at the moment.  I try to upload, the image uploads about 80% and then starts again, gets to 80% and starts again etc.etc.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I have 1,401 images on there and am not aware of any size restrictions - so am not sure what the issue is - just interested to know if I'm alone on this??

Thanks

Paul

Fabian93

Actually there are size restriction:
allowed: jpg jpeg png gif bmp tif tiff pdf < 1.53 megabytes.

upgrade to 3.00 megabytes per image (if you click on that, you can buy an account or something, but for normal users it's 1,53

paroch

Thanks Fabian - the images I am trying to upload are approx 200kb, so well within the individual size limit.

CasperVg

I have noticed the same issue here, using the Imageshack Toolbar. For now, I'm using Photobucket or xs.to.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

JBSimio

I stopped using Imageshack quite a while ago myself.  I kept having problems with images temporarily disappearing for no apparent reason... very slow uploading times... slow page loads... etc etc etc.  I've often noticed in the forums that if I have a problem seeing other people's images, I'll click on the properties of the image and inevitably find that they're hosted at Imageshack.  Not sure if this is all just me or what... they're just things I've noticed over time.  I've been using Photobucket nearly a year now with no troubles at all.

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

paroch

Casper, Jon,

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.  Funnily enough I never usually have problems but I'll try out Photobucket and see how I get on.

Regards

Paul

homefryes

Quote from: JBSimio on December 16, 2008, 12:05:26 PMI've often noticed in the forums that if I have a problem seeing other people's images, I'll click on the properties of the image and inevitably find that they're hosted at Imageshack.
It's not just you. I get disgusted >:( when I click a thumbnail in a forum and it's linked to Imageshack; here's a detail of what happens:
  • click the thumbnail; a new window opens (which is fine, no issues there)
  • click the image in this new window to view full-size; another new window pops up, but it's not the image, it's a stupid pop-up quiz thing (absolute garbage), so I close that window ???
  • click the image in the previous window a second time and I finally get the new window with the image (which I can view full-size).
It's all VERY annoying and time consuming. I'm glad someone started this thread because it's been a complaint for a while now, but I've never wanted to :angrymore: about it in someone's thread because that would be rude! But maybe (hopefully) enough people will see this and consider using a different host for pictures.

*thanks I feel better!*

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Swamper77

I get around ImageShack's pop-up ads in two ways. For the forums, I generally post the direct link to the image so the full image shows up in the forums. Most of my images are 800x600, so they don't break the layout of the pages. I also use a pop-up blocker, which prevents those annoying pop-ups from appearing. It's a plugin I downloaded for FireFox and has worked rather well so far.

I also use PhotoBucket for my pictures. The pictures of my automata works are hosted on PhotoBucket. PhotoBucket does not employ the pop-up ads like ImageShack. They use banner ads like the ones you see in the forums.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

homefryes

Yeah, I have pop-up blockers on all my computers (work, home PC, home laptop), and Imageshack's stupid quiz (or whatever) pop-ups still gets through. I use Photobucket as well, and embed the full-sized image in my posts, which works like a charm!

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Pat

I noticed as of late as myself I've been having problems with the shack as well gaaaaaah.... I go to upload pics using the niffty toolbar uploader that all you got to do is right click on your pic and then upload to Imageshack!! Well much like Paul it goes so far then cancels out, I am to under the size limit's... I just started a new account cause my old account pics as well where disappering...

So photobucket might be an option where there is hardly no problems et all hmmm....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie