• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[WIP/REL] SCAG Turboprops Department.

Started by joelyboy911, August 13, 2009, 02:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Think long term: Which regional planes would you like to see?

BAe ATP
Saab 340 & Saab 200
Embraer ERJ-145 Family
Bombardier C-Series
Dornier 328 and 328Jet
Other (Specify in a post)

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group Turboprops Department.

Welcome to the homepage and catalogue of the SCAG Turboprops Department, which is also known as joelyboy911's regional aircraft BAT workshop. This thread will from now 'til forever be the place where I will show all of my regional aircraft (mostly focusing on turboprops, but possibly some regional jets as well).

History
SCAG Turboprops began with a desire to BAT aircraft, which sprung from a lack of Air New Zealand planes being produced by the other major aircraft BATters. I just wanted to see some of that Blue and Teal in my airports, and Tabi's jets filled a space for a while, and then I was even more encouraged by the New Zealand longhaul jets being made by the aircraft BAT teams here at SimCity 4 Devotion. I started with the ATR-72s which progressed into a project also encompassing its smaller variant the ATR-42. The BAT project was my first time using gmax, or any 3d modelling program for that matter, and if you look closely at the models in the prop pack, you can see where I went wrong. Anyway, I joined the SimCity Aviation Group, and the SCAG Turboprop department was born.

Current Projects
The ATR-72 Project is still ongoing, but nearly complete. All plane lotting has been finished, and now the lots just need to be modded. The existence of the Turboprop department was sealed in place with the commencement of BATting two new turboprop airliner models: The DeHavilland Canada Dash-8, and BAe Jetstream. The Dash-8s are being rendered at this stage, and the completion of the Jetstreams is scheduled for shortly after.

Involvement
Joelyboy911 (me) is the lead BATter and texture/livery artist of the Turboprops department. Driftmaster07 has been heavily involved as a LOTter, as he has lotted the Standard definition versions of the ATR-72 and ATR-42 planes. Adroman is set to become involved with the project as well, in the fields of lotting and texture/livery creation. Pilotdaryl will be a contributor also, when he completes the Air Canada Jazz livery set (a hefty project) for the Dash-8s.

Projects

Current:
  • ATR-72 and ATR-42
  • DHC Dash-8
  • BAe Jetstream 41 and Jetstream 31
  • Saab 340 and Saab2000
  • Fairchild Metroliner

Planned
  • BAe 146 (a.k.a. Avro Regional Jet)
  • Fokker 50 and Fokker 27
    Requests or Suggestions are welcome

Endless possibilities, with SCAG Turboprops.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

beutelschlurf

moin joelyboy911,

great stuff, mate!  :thumbsup: ... can't wait to see it textured!
... are you guys planing to do older models as well like a gazelle or even some propeller-driven airliner  :-[
hehe ... apart from this you doing a great job ... !

cheers
b_schlurf

RG59061

Awesome!

And thank you for making the BAE-146 Avro RJ! I am very excited for that lovely inter-city RJ!

The Bombardier Q-series is looking to be off on the right direction and will look really good once done!

Can't wait to see more!

RG
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

pilotdaryl

Oooo British and Canadian-manufactured planes - very interesting. :thumbsup:

[Delta ²k5]

Loving it! We need small regional planes like those &apls

joelyboy911

Quote from: pilotdaryl on August 13, 2009, 05:45:55 PM
Oooo British and Canadian-manufactured planes - very interesting. :thumbsup:

Yes, I can't actually think of any particular American planes that I want to BAT, maybe some from Beech.

Quote from: [Delta ²k5] on August 14, 2009, 12:22:45 AM
Loving it! We need small regional planes like those &apls

Thanks. I only plan to BAT these small types to begin with - plus, I think most of the major widebody types have been accounted for, haven't they? I would like to see the A340 though. I personally also want some of the older 737's namely the -300 and -400 series, so I may have to BAT those myself.

Quote from: RG59061 on August 13, 2009, 09:31:54 AM
Awesome!

And thank you for making the BAE-146 Avro RJ! I am very excited for that lovely inter-city RJ!

The Bombardier Q-series is looking to be off on the right direction and will look really good once done!

Can't wait to see more!

RG

You are welcome too - It is my favourite quad-jet regional jet too.  :P Actually it has been in the back of my mind since I started BATting the ATRs, then Kumba suggested it, then I found a good top-bottom-side drawing of it, which really helps (I had one for the dash-8 but not the J41 - I think it shows a bit).

Quote from: beutelschlurf on August 13, 2009, 06:19:22 AM
moin joelyboy911,

great stuff, mate!  :thumbsup: ... can't wait to see it textured!
... are you guys planing to do older models as well like a gazelle or even some propeller-driven airliner  :-[
hehe ... apart from this you doing a great job ... !

cheers
b_schlurf

Thanks. I don't have any plans for those old types personally, maybe I will do them someday. The mapping for the textures should be able to begin sometime fairly soon on the dash-8's, i'm not sure there are many things I need to modify. Then, I can make the liveries (my favourite bit).
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

joelyboy911

Well, this is a double post - no activity here for a while, hopefully this will get things going.

As you can see, I haven't added the reflectivity settings to the Jetstream yet. Other than that, every (constructive) criticism is welcome. In fact I really want any feedback, these planes need to be perfect (or somewhere near to it).

Also, you can start requesting liveries now. I must be a little strict here, in saying that I won't take your request unless it is a real airline operating (or formerly operated) one of these planes (custom airlines' liveries may come later). Pictures or links thereof will give you a 1000x greater chance of having your request filled.

Next up, I will be presenting the story of ZK-NES, which incidentally is a summarised history of airlines that tried to compete with Air New Zealand on the regional routes. For a preview, search that registration on Airliners.net.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Leodido

Omnia, my first MD. Check it out!

thomil

Great Job, looking forward to it (In fact, setting ramp spaces aside on all my SC4 airports in anticipation). Just one thing. The ends of the Dash-8 Cockpit windows are supposed to be straight, not rounded like in your pictures. They resemble the cockpit sections of the Canadair Challenger /CRJ series. Apart from that I'd take them, as well as the jetstreams, in a heartbeat.  :thumbsup:

RG59061

May I make a request for the Horizon Airlines livery on the Bombardier Q Series Turboprops?

They have a lovely, clean, elegant livery and it looks very nice on the Bombardiers.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Horizon-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/1546311/L/&sid=01e4c41122f54ebf2854fac7f39f64ca

Thank you.
RG

pilotdaryl

Wow!!! Those look almost real - esp. in the curves near the front section!  The nightlights look almost real too! ;D  You might want to smoothen out the nose just above the cockpit windows on the Jetstream though.

joelyboy911

Quote from: Leodido on August 19, 2009, 03:03:32 AM
very nice work, these planes looks splendid!

Thanks!

Quote from: thomil on August 19, 2009, 03:20:45 AM
Great Job, looking forward to it (In fact, setting ramp spaces aside on all my SC4 airports in anticipation). Just one thing. The ends of the Dash-8 Cockpit windows are supposed to be straight, not rounded like in your pictures. They resemble the cockpit sections of the Canadair Challenger /CRJ series. Apart from that I'd take them, as well as the jetstreams, in a heartbeat.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, and I see the problem you are pointing out. I'll try to have it fixed up for next time.

Quote from: RG59061 on August 19, 2009, 09:58:07 AM
May I make a request for the Horizon Airlines livery on the Bombardier Q Series Turboprops?

They have a lovely, clean, elegant livery and it looks very nice on the Bombardiers.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Horizon-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/1546311/L/&sid=01e4c41122f54ebf2854fac7f39f64ca

Thank you.
RG

OK, Horizon Air on the list. I think it was probably always going to be a popular one anyway. Thanks for stopping by.

Quote from: pilotdaryl on August 19, 2009, 10:01:05 AM
Wow!!! Those look almost real - esp. in the curves near the front section!  The nightlights look almost real too! ;D  You might want to smoothen out the nose just above the cockpit windows on the Jetstream though.

Thanks. Yeah, I did have some trouble with that, I'll try to fix it.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

joelyboy911

Thanks Alex, your use of all caps is highly encouraging. Now, for todays pictures:

This is ZK-NES, a plane used by the three airlines that thought they could compete with Air New Zealand Link into the regional airports.

Ansett operated its New Zealand subsidiary from 1987 to 2000, until Air New Zealands attempt at purchasing Ansett Australia (which ended up bankrupting both airlines - Air NZ was saved by a government bail-out) meant the two had to split apart. Its demise came when a company called News Corporation sold the airline to Tasman Pacific Airlines, which turned it into a Qantas franchise.

This was a short lived airline. It went into liquidation in 2001, and the fleet was sold off. Much of it still remains in New Zealand, being operated by charter airlines such as Air National and Vincent Aviation. Other planes have been sold overseas and some have been scrapped. ZK-NES went to Origin Pacific.

Origin Pacific operated from 2001 to 2006. At first, it code-shared with Qantas on some routes, which were a major part of its income. In 2004, Qantas its-self was fully established under its own power using the brand Jetconnect, and it cut off the code-share agreement. This, as well as repetitive government bail-outs of Air New Zealand, coupled with an inablility to find investors and debts being called, meant that the airline was bankrupt in 2006. Since then, all the airports in the land have been monopolised by Air New Zealand. (Except Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Rotorua and soon to be Hamilton, these now see International and/or domestic jet services from JetStar (A new Qantas subsidiary) and/or Pacific Blue (A Virgin Blue subsidiary).

I hope you enjoyed this history of Airlines in New Zealand. And you will probably notice (now that I point it out) that I made the Qantas and Ansett ones very generic. Thus, you can use them even if your region is not in New Zealand, as the Qantas one can be substituted for QantasLink (Eastern Australia Airlines) and Ansett can be substituted for Ansett Australia (though they did not operate the type as far as I know). Origin Pacific can be used if your region is somewhere near the Origin of the Pacific ocean, I guess.

And, to keep the Americans' attention :P, here is US Airways, operated by Mesa Airlines, which oddly enough also operates United's dash-8's

If I haven't lost your attention already, I need to know if there are any more of the dash-8-100 and dash-8-200 that you want. They are the small ones, and aside from Air Canada Jazz, I don't plan on doing any others unless someone asks for it.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

portlandexpos04

Quote from: joelyboy911 on August 22, 2009, 09:37:41 PM

If I haven't lost your attention already, I need to know if there are any more of the dash-8-100 and dash-8-200 that you want. They are the small ones, and aside from Air Canada Jazz, I don't plan on doing any others unless someone asks for it.

For Horizon Air, are you going to be doing both the -400 and -200?  That would be cool if you did.   :thumbsup:

joelyboy911

Quote from: portlandexpos04 on August 23, 2009, 02:37:16 PM
For Horizon Air, are you going to be doing both the -400 and -200?  That would be cool if you did.   :thumbsup:

I probably could arrange something like that for you.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

[Delta ²k5]

Nice :) these planes are looking very good by now! I see, you've fixed the cockpit windows... It's looking way better than before! :thumbsup:

I also wanna make some kind of... request :D :

(klick on the picture for large version)

Lufthansa Regional (Augsburg Airways) Dash 8 Q300

Lufthansa Regional (Augsburg Airways) Dash 8 Q400

joelyboy911

Alright, I'll do both. Probably looking at a European themed update next time, think of Germany, Hungary, Scandinavia, Britain, Austria and Greece. This should give some big clues. Mostly i'm going to finish the dash-8s, then move on to the Jetstreams.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

RG59061

Two that I would really like as well, and they are the 400 series, are for Continental Express (Colgan Air) and Frontier Airlines (Lynx Aviation).

As for the 100 and 200 series...Continental Connection (CommutAir) operates the 200 Series and Olympic flies the 100 still. You already have the other critical ones I'd like in the 100 & 200 series...with United Express and US Airways Express...so aside from the two length Continentals and Frontier...I'd be happy.

British Airways did operate the Dash-8 100 as well...so I'm not sure if you already have that on the list...along with FlyBe...but they operate the larger 400 series.

The AirCanada Jazz that you already have planned will be a nice addition too. If it could be done in multiple colors...that would be even better.

Other wise, the Dash-8 looks to be incredibly comprehensive! I'm very excited for this one! Can't wait to see what you do with the Avro RJ as well!

Keep up the great work!
RG

joelyboy911

There are a lot of airlines which fly or have flown dash 8s in more than one of the sizes, and I don't want to have loads of doubleups. For instance, I already intended doing Continental, and Olympic in the -400 model, and British Airways in the 300 model. Flybe will definitely be done.

I will make Frontier for you as well.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian