• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Scenic Routes Around the World #42 - FIFA World Cup Special

Started by eugenelavery, February 05, 2012, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbvc

Evillions8

Congrats to Best Sellers!  &apls

The island is very nice though, I'd like to build my hut there. :P

RickD

Welcome to Bestsellers. Can't wait to see what comes next.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

kelis

Congratulations for to be in Best Sellers section !!

You MD has a lot of fantastic pictures  :o Looking forward to the future updates  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

rooker1

A big Congrat from myself and The SC4D Staff for making it to The Best Sellers section, a very well deserved move!!

Congrats!! &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Ol.S / Benoit

Congratz for Best Sellers. :)
Amazing work o that city, so much details and stuff... keep it up !
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

eugenelavery

Replies:

nbvc: Thanks!
Evillions8: I am very pleased to have been promoted to the Best Sellers category.
RickD: I promise that this MD will only continue to get better.
kelis: Thanks, I love your work too!
rooker1: Thanks for your support!
Ol.S / Benoit: I will do my best to continue to set high standards.

eugenelavery

The Emirate of Dhahran is the wealthiest member of the Zouérat Islamic Federation with an economy based around oil, real estate, and tourism.  Dhahran, which is essentially a city-state, lies on the Arabian Gulf and has long been a city of historical importance due to trading routes, pearl diving, and more recently, oil.  The earliest settlement known as Dhahran was established in 1833 by Sheikh Maktoum bin Buti al Maktoum who convinced about 800 people to follow him from Saudi Arabia and establish a new settlement.  In the 20th century, Dhahran was mostly under British Governance until independence was granted in 1969.  The discovery of oil in the 1960s quickly transformed Dhahran from a sleepy fishing village to the modern Emirate it is today.  The growth of the Emirate has accelerated at an unprecedented pace over the last 20 years as Dhahran has diversified its economy due to the limited supply of oil.  It is often said that a third of the world's construction cranes can be found in Dhahran!

Dhahran General Information

Flag

Official Name: Emirate of Dhahran
Short Name: Dhahran
Demonym: Emirati
Ruler: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Crown Prince: Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Currency: Zouérat Dirham
Official Language: Arabic
Official Religion: Islam
Population: 2,250,000
Nationality: Indian (35%), Emirati (17%), Pakistani (13%), Bangladeshi (8%), Filipino (2.5%), European (2.5%), Sri Lankan (1%), American (1%), Other (20%)
Internet TLD:.dh

Climate
Dhahran has a very hot arid climate.  Summers are very hot and humid, with temperatures averaging above 40 degrees Celsius.  Winters are warm with an average temperature of 23 degrees Celsius.  Rainfall is sparse, Dhahran averages about 250mm of rain per year.

Politics
Dhahran is a Constitutional Monarchy which has been ruled by the Al Maktoum family since 1833.  The Emir, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has absolute power over the Emirate.

A couple of preview shots of what is to come. 

rooker1

Interesting update and facts.

Please remember to put your replies and updates together as movement throught the MD sections is based on post count.

Robin ;)
Call me Robin, please.

eugenelavery

Replies:

rooker1: Thanks for visiting!

The Emirate of Dhahran has experienced remarkable growth over the last two decades and it is often claimed that Dhahran is the fastest growing city in the history of the planet.  One neighbourhood that has been at the forefront of this growth is Jumeirah which up until recently was mostly empty desert and uninhabited beaches.  Today, Jumeirah is a fashionable residential neighbourhood where many of the wealthy foreign workers reside, and also a popular tourist hub with numerous hotels and resorts lining the coast.

Burj Al Arab is perhaps the worlds most famous hotel and certainly the most luxurious.  At 321 metres it is the fourth tallest hotel in the world and its completion in 1999 officially announed Dhahran to the world.  The revolutionary 'sail' design and construction on an artificial island was implemented upon orders of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum who wanted the hotel to be iconic.

Upon entering Burj Al Arab, guests are immediately struck by the large atrium which runs the full height of the hotel.

The Burj Al Arab is unique in that every room is a luxury suite, the largest being 780 square metres, the smallest being 169 square metres.  Prices of the suites vary from $1,000 per night to $27,000 per night.  The Royal Suite is perhaps the most luxurious of them all.

Wild Wadi waterpark is situated on Jumeirah Beach across from Burj Al Arab and is one of the most popular destinations for tourists looking to relieve themselves of the intense heat of Dhahran.  Wild Wadi contains numerous swimming pools and boasts the largest water slide outside of North America.

Next to Wild Wadi Water Park is Jumeirah Beach Hotel and Apartments.  Built in 1997, Jumeirah Beach Hotel was the first major resort hotel in Dhahran and its wavy design is inspired by the sea and nicely compliments the sail shaped Burj Al Arab.  Previously this stretch of Jumeirah Beach was home to floating oil storage tanks and ship wrecking yards so the transformation of the beach is nothing short of remarkable and further shows the growth of the Emirate.  The hotel also contains a separate conference center located right in front of the main hotel buildings.

That is all for today, we will continue our tour of the Jumeirah district next time.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ricky112233

Well it looks like I haven't commented on your amazing MD yet, I guess I've been just lurking, haha ;D

Anyway, I absolutely love your MD, I especially like the Mahibadhoos !
Please, please PLEASE teach me on how to recreate the Maldives or something similar.. :)

Absolutely love your work--goood job! :thumbsup:

-Ricky :)
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--

noahclem

Great work  &apls  The tower is great and I love those curvy buildings! Great lotting!

Evillions8

Quote from: Ricky112233 on August 09, 2012, 12:11:13 PM
Well it looks like I haven't commented on your amazing MD yet, I guess I've been just lurking, haha ;D

Anyway, I absolutely love your MD, I especially like the Mahibadhoos !
Please, please PLEASE teach me on how to recreate the Maldives or something similar.. :)

Absolutely love your work--goood job! :thumbsup:

-Ricky :)

Just look at the Maldives and create custom lots similar to the country's largest city, Male.   :P  Just download all the BATs you think you need for your custom lots.

As for the update, great update!  As I said at ST, the custom lotting really brings out the BATs and effectively creates that high-class feeling.

nbvc

Great work.  :thumbsup: Where did you find the curvy building with the green roof?

apeguy

Amazing work, This is one of the best Dubai-based cities I've seen! Well Done! ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

eugenelavery

Replies:

RickD: Thanks, I am certainly trying best to recreate Dubai essentially.
Ricky112233: I hope you will do more commenting and less lurking!  If you want any particular advice about recreating the Maldives, just send me a PM.
noahclem: I love lotting!
Evillions8: Thanks for visiting!
nbvc:  The curvy building is infact a dmscopio/davidluart BAT.  Unfortunately his website is no longer active.  If you really want the file you could send me a PM perhaps.
apeguy:  Thanks for visiting, your comments mean a lot.

The neighbourhood of Jumeirah has seen rapid residential growth over the last ten years.  Its close proximity to beaches, shopping, and industry have made it very popular with expat workers.  Enjoy the suburban monotony of Jumeirah in the mosaic below.

In our next visit to Dhahran we will visit The Mall of the Emirates and the Al Quoz Industrial Area.

eugenelavery

Replies:

No comments.

The Mall of the Emirates, located in Al Barsha district next to Sheikh Al Maktoum Road (the major highway of Dhahran), is the second largest shopping mall in the Emirate.  It contains 220,000 m2 of retail space with 520 stores and 8 anchor stores which include Carrefour, Centrepoint, Debenhams, Harvey Nichols, Jashanmal, Marks & Spencer, Virgin Megastore, and VOX Cinemas.

Shoppers from all over the world travel to Dhahran to enjoy the Mall of the Emirates, and because of this, the mall also contains three five-star hotels.  To the left you can see the Westin, and to the right you can see the Pullman Hotel.

The third hotel, The Kempinski Hotel, is located infront of Ski Dhahran.

Emerging out of the hostile desert, Ski Dhahran brings the slopes of Europe to the Middle East and is yet another example of Dhahran defying its location.

With all of the attractions the Mall of the Emirates has to offer, the Al Barsha district has become a very fashionable place to live with new apartment buildings and condos rising up from the desert floor, including some very sizeable skyscrapers.

Even as night falls, the Mall and the wider Al Barsha district is still full of activity.

I hope you have enjoyed today's retail therapy, our next visit will be to the less glamourous Al Quoz Industrial District.

nbvc

Ricky112233

Ditto that, very two nice updates indeed! And, I most certainly will send you a message if I'll have questions!

Once again, good job! :thumbsup:

-Ricky
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--