• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Wow david awsome biiiiiiiiiiig map i love the details on the lake... i hope you feel better there david

OK so i done it again lol and welcome to page 86!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

TheTeaCat

Amazing the details you gotten on the map.

I spent ages looking around it  &apls &apls 2cuppa's worth of time  :D

It a shame your feeling poorly but I wish you a speedy recovery :thumbsup: I'd send you some chicken noodle soup but i don't do soup  $%Grinno$% so will this
do instead?

till next time
regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dragonshardz

well david i'm back from cyberspace limbo. next time please don't hit that red button!

anyway, your awesomeness amazes me. looking foward to more.

kalanc69

I am constantly in awe of your creativeness...I hope that someday I can create as wonderful maps as you do! Thanks for the inspiration and guidance!!

thundercrack83

Love the water features map, David! Hope you're feeling better, my friend!

Jmouse

Ah, the slings and arrows of RL. May you rest comfortably and recover quickly.

Until next time...
Joan

Sober

Love the water features map. More than 100 hours is just pure dedication, and to think ... this is just for the map!  &apls

BigSlark

The maps are amazing, David. The amount of effort that you put into 3RR continues to amaze me. I hope you feel better soon, I've been sick myself lately. It always happens to me when it goes from "scorching" to "hot" around this time of year.

Cheers,
Kevin

threestooges

That map is stunning. It looks as though your time has been well spent (including the time under the weather... hope you are feeling better). It will be interesting to see what other iterations of the map you have in store.

dedgren

Here's promise kept No. 1.  It's a little late (I said the 3rd was firm- I was close).

A while back, our friend jestarr demonstrated great knowledge of arcane things Marx [linkie]...

Well, here's a piece on one of the region's major industries.

In 1889, J. E. Starr opened a hardware store, The Starr Company, at 935 North Main in Pineshore.

Within a few years, Starr and his business had branched out into steel fabrication and machining, and there began a close relationship with the 3RR Transportation Bureau, now the region's Department of Transportation.  The rapidly growing region needed bridges as its expanding road network ran up against 3RR's many rivers and streams, and The Starr Company stepped forward.

The first bridges, built just before the turn of the 20th Century, were simple structures, although several are still in use today.  The company quickly expanded its capabilities to include larger Pratt trusses.

These bridges were fabricated at The Starr Company's Liberty Street plant on the Pineshore waterfront.

By the 1920s, the company had constructed the much larger works that it currently operates from in East Pineshore.

J. E. Starr passed on in 1928 and his six sons took over the business.  Over the ensuing years, the company more than bore out its unofficial motto- "Like it here?  We built it for you!"  In 1970, the name was shortened to Starr Co., the Liberty Street facility was closed and abandoned and the business offices were moved from Pineshore to their current location on 418 North Avenue adjacent to the East Pineshore works.

The company has kept up with the times by entering into strategic alliances with Japanese and other Far Eastern steelmakers, and it has continued to be the major supplier to the region's road contractors.

The current program to rebuild and expand 3RR's freeway system, much of which was originally constructed in the late 1960s, have led to boom times for the Starr Co.

The company also meets other transportation needs, such as manufacturing these road guides [linkie] for high snowdrift areas on the region's prairie highways [linkie].

There are current plans, as a result, to build completely new offices and a state-of-the-art steelworks on land between East Pineshore and Black Earth.

Ground is expected to be broken in 2009, with relocation complete and operations underway by 2011.

So, Starr Co., a great regional enterprise that honors a great SC4D member.  Thanks, jestarr, for being a 3RR Regular*!

David

*  A 3RR Regular, of course, is anyone who has commented at least once...

...we have strict standards...

...here at 3RR or over at 3RR-ST.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

kalanc69

Ok, this goes out to anyone that can help me! I am just starting to push myself into creatively designing regions rather than just  plunking down zones and building a really big city. To this end I am finding myself completely and utterly void of any ideas of where to begin  %confuso. I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest some websites that would have information that might help me get started (ie: Which trees are found in which locations generally, ideal outlays for streets and zones, ect.) I have plenty of time to read, I just need to get pointed in the right direction. It is my desire to someday in the near future begin an MD and maybe someday become 1/4th as good as ole Dedgren here...Thanks in advance for your replies, and I will be eagerly awaiting to begin my voyage!

Pat

David a fantastic update indeed wow a great tribute to Jestarr  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

David, I've never known of anyone who bestows an honor with quite so much dignity and grace. Congratulations to Jestarr to whom I owe my entire plopable I-M collection.
And glad to know you feel well enough to fire up the 'puter!

Until next time...
Joan

Ryan B.

Looks like I'll need to contact the Starr Co. in order to hand out interchange construction contracts.   :P

thundercrack83

Wow, congratulations, jestarr! The Starr Co. looks amazing! Excellent work, as always, David! And by the way, congrats on 1700 comments, too!

dedgren

Heh!  Between my beloved aunt in Hackensack and me, I think we've accounted for most of the posts on 3RR.

Just kidding...  I do think my total posting to 3RR is upwards of 200 out of that- let's say seven or eight updates a week on average.  I had no idea!

It's been a great conversation with you folks- here, and everywhere else on the forums.

Remember this?

Well, the next step in mapping is to draw the initial official 3RR road map, which will allow our Transportation Czar Ryan (burgsabre87) to do his thing with the signs and whatnot.  So, I'm. as Matt (threestooges) speculated, working on some new layers.

...Map Lab door softly creaks open...

Here's the basic place I'm starting.

Before I could get down to business, I had to align all the urban area dots with a 16x16 pixel grid so that the roads and highways would fall properly.  Next, I created three new vector layers: Highways (green and black- not on this map yet), Primary Roads (red) and Secondary Roads (blue- of course [linkie]).  Using the "snap to grid" feature of PSP8, I then began laying down segments, using road junctions and urban dots as end points.  I'm assigning each segment a unique number so that I can find it and edit it later.  Note, on the above map, how I'm trying to get the rights-of-way to conform to the engineering considerations presented by the landscape.

Here's the same work to this point on a flat background.

Aside from completing all the roads and highways, I'll be adding route numbers (there you go, Ryan), smoothing the abrupt curves (each segment is an editable vector line), moving around place and other names so everything fits and doing exact distances (each 16 pixel grid is just about one-sixth of a mile/one-quarter of a kilometer.

By the time I'm done, it'll look pretty much like what Standard Oil used to give you for free.

Anyway, off to work.  Sore throat's better- thanks for the wishes, all of you.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Jmouse

Oh boy, that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, and it isn't a freight train after all.

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Congrats, Jestarr! Also congrats on more than 1700 replies at this MD and for your 1000th post, david!
And great pictures of your maps! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

And more congratulations for you 1000th post, David! I can't wait to see the map come together, and to see the road signs start being made! Excellent work, as always, my friend!

jestarr

Well, well, well...  I'm greatly honored!  That's a great "history" story.  Thanks David.  Great maps by the way. :thumbsup: