• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Fantastic work on the cobblestone texture, it's reminiscent of Vortext's work  :). How many of the station textures are custom-made? I love the little details like the grime surrounding the drain for example.

Moreover, that's a wonderfully detailed little scene you've put together, any chance we will see more of your cities sometime?

Simmer2

Thank you Themistokles, mattb325 and mgb204.

Robin, I donwloaded a freely available massive 2048x2048 pic of the cobblestones and I adapted it to my lot with 384x384px repetitions and carefully  stitched the seams with the clone tool. Then I created a 1280x640 grass overlay and worked some magic with opacity and the fade eraser.

The train track is custom made by me as well (Rivit's tool is amazing) with an added little shadow trick for a fake 3d look and the oil stains for that aged look.
The rest, such as the road and parking lot pieces, I cut and painted over from other textures.

Completely custom made. If you want my original untouched RRW 10 tile long texture set let me know.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Swordmaster

Very nice :thumbsup:

Where is that yellow work train from? Haven't seen that one before!

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 31, 2016, 10:53:32 AM
Very nice :thumbsup:

Where is that yellow work train from? Haven't seen that one before!

Cheers
Willy

Hi Willy.
I believe you will find that and more in this little known neat HD pack  ;) http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26342-train-prop-pack-vol1/
Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Gugu3

Very nice!Being an italian myself I can just say it loks lovely &apls

reddonquixote

Beautiful work, it's a very quaint little station :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

Simmer2

Thanks Gugu3 and reddonquixote

Small update on the Hump Yard... ;D
Still working on the massive base texture but I made some prototype pieces and it works, so far.
Keep in mind that nothing is final.
Enjoy.

Alan_Waters

Two blocks from my house there is a yard ...
Your work is very natural!  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Gugu3

Even though it's not the final version i have to say it looks beautiful already

Simmer2

Thank you Alan_Waters and Gugu3

Should not be too long now  ;)

Simmer2/Nick

Swordmaster

Not sure on all the trees here, but all the rest of it looks great!

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

I watched a Mighty Machines special about a hump yard with my kids once... it's kind of mesmerizing watching the cars roll down the hump and get sorted... Nice work Simmer!

romualdillo

Your last works are stunning! The station lot looks fantastic, truly "Italian". Keep the good work! &apls

Simmer2

Thank you Willy, Simcoug and romualdillo

Update.
I'm about 75% done with the Hump Yard base textures and after re-doing the Base of OP, extension and ramp textures I have finalized 4 out of the 7 total pieces.

I have some time while at work and decided to look for some pics online for my next major project.
I'm planning on creating a realistic fully decked Intermodal Terminal such as this.
The Union Pacific Joliet Intermodal Terminal, as an example.

I already made a draft on some specs and noticed that some terminals have the center decks either with rails embedded in concrete such as this.

Or use a combination of both ballast and ties recessed into concrete such as this.

I can easily make either one but would like your input on the matter. Once I dive into the project I will make one of them as standard for future textures/lots projects.

The outer multi-switch rail lines will of course be just standard custom made RRW textures.

Simmer2/Nick

noahclem

Great continued progress Nick and exciting new project  &apls  The slopes you've placed your hump yard on are a bit extreme though ;)

matias93

I would definitely prefer concrete for large freight terminals, because of the even leveling that would allow movable cranes to run over it grabbing containers; ballasts would be preferable in smaller terminals without containers, where the height difference permits to load and unload directly from the wagons.

I think MGB's newest warehouse lots would be useful as reference

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Simmer2

Quote from: noahclem on February 04, 2016, 04:11:04 PM
Great continued progress Nick and exciting new project  &apls  The slopes you've placed your hump yard on are a bit extreme though ;)

Hi Noah. You are absolutely right  :thumbsup: The reason why I made that example at 15m is to emphasize the difference in levels. The ramp lot is 9 tiles long.
The Ramp, Base of operation and extension lots are made to be put on almost any slope, but I think 0 to 15m is the most practical, personally I prefer 7.5m.

Quote from: matias93 on February 04, 2016, 04:18:35 PM
I would definitely prefer concrete for large freight terminals, because of the even leveling that would allow movable cranes to run over it grabbing containers; ballasts would be preferable in smaller terminals without containers, where the height difference permits to load and unload directly from the wagons.

Hi Matias93
Concrete is a must for these terminals for exactly the reason you mentioned , the cranes.
If you notice the last pic, the rails, ballast and ties are recessed but the decks are made of level concrete. These terminals are made with either method but I'm trying to pick one that will be used as a standard.
Yes mgb204 lots are a beauty, he is a master! I designed those concrete embedded rail tracks for him  ;)

Simmer2

c.p.

The St Paola train station is really beautiful :thumbsup:

The hump yard lot is great, but the strip of dirt road seems odd to me (not knowing much about hump yards).

mgb204

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 04, 2016, 06:04:18 PM
Quote from: matias93 on February 04, 2016, 04:18:35 PM

Hi Matias93
Concrete is a must for these terminals for exactly the reason you mentioned , the cranes.
If you notice the last pic, the rails, ballast and ties are recessed but the decks are made of level concrete. These terminals are made with either method but I'm trying to pick one that will be used as a standard.
Yes mgb204 lots are a beauty, he is a master! I designed those concrete embedded rail tracks for him  ;)

Simmer2

The initial release of the RDP is a bit sparse on the texture front, in essence I only focussed on getting the basics into place to support the depots. But if you fancy making these the same way, sans-ballast, how about working on this together? For every RRW texture you make, I'll make the regular rail variants. That way you can link such lots to the textures in RDP and whatever rail style users had would work with your lots?

I did have some plans for a more comprehensive set of textures, since the concept of a user-switchable set of textures is better for end user-compatibility.