• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

FrankU

The models are beautiful.
Just a question....
Could you make stacks of containers? Just two, three or four on top of each other. Arranging them in families and then those families in rows can make the container port storage areas filled with a multiude of container stacks all made with one lot, each plop (or grow) looking different.
So not the grouped stacks that JeStarr made, but just simple single stacks.

Thanks in advance.

Vizoria

More diagonal and FA props are always welcome!

tigerbuilder

Very nice work. The rail cars are a little long, but they look awesome. I can't figure out your "trick" yet from those images....hmmm

Cheers, tiger

Indiana Joe

Been over a year since you started all this Nick and you've managed to make progressively more awesome things the whole time.  Love the detail on those shipping containers.  &apls

If you were to become the recipient of a custom member label in the near future, I think it should be something like "Mad Railroad Scientist."  This lab has been the birthplace of many high quality industrial and rail related complexes that have more than filled the void for RRW-supportive content.  :thumbsup:  &apls

Matt

Simmer2

@Sciurus Thank you!

@kbieniu7 Thanks!

@FrankU Hi Frank, if you mean pre-rendered stacks, that is a colossal job. Once done there will be about 20 labels and trying to cover every possible permutation on 2 or 3 stacks would take 1000's of renders.
That is why I made them with a super tight LOD. Everyone can stack them to their hearts content.
Of course they will all be in families. 90's, 45's and 22.5's. I will however create modular lots with pre-stacked individual containers so that every time you plop a lot it will change configuration. If you have more suggestions do not hesitate to voice them. Thank you!

@Vizoria ...also in HD  ;D

@tigerbuilder They are actually a bit shorter than the ones Jestarr's made. Ah the trick....I will explain once done :thumbsup:

@Indiana Joe Hey Matt! Always a pleasure hearing from you. And.. :D.. on the CML. Thank you very much for the kind words!

And now, something everyone should like (one hopes)!

Models applied!!

________________________________________________________________________________

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tyberius06

Oh dear!
That's fantastic!  &apls &apls
I can see how I'm gonna be playing with these  :D
Thanks very much
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

vinlabsc3k

The last works are incredible!! :thumbsup:
One thing is strange: the container carriage haven't the straps to avoid
the overturning of the upper container, is intentional or did you forget them? ()what()
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

_Michael

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on January 25, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
the overturning of the upper container, is intentional or did you forget them? ()what()

Looking at pictures online, these types of trains don't squally have any straps.

Looking great Simmer!

MushyMushy

Looking good!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on January 25, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
the overturning of the upper container, is intentional or did you forget them? ()what()[/size][/font]

Shipping containers are actually designed so they can lock on to each other (like LEGOs), which is how they can be safely stacked with no extra supports or restraints at railyards, seaports, and on container ships. These railroad cars are no different, and I'd assume the car has the same components to allow the bottom container to attach to it, and then the second one can be locked onto that one. I can confirm there are no straps involved though - my city unfortunately has an at-grade freight line (a busy one at that) running right through it so I get to stare at these things far more than I'd like.  :D

FrankU

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 25, 2017, 09:16:48 AM

@FrankU Hi Frank, if you mean pre-rendered stacks, that is a colossal job. Once done there will be about 20 labels and trying to cover every possible permutation on 2 or 3 stacks would take 1000's of renders.
That is why I made them with a super tight LOD. Everyone can stack them to their hearts content.
Of course they will all be in families. 90's, 45's and 22.5's. I will however create modular lots with pre-stacked individual containers so that every time you plop a lot it will change configuration. If you have more suggestions do not hesitate to voice them. Thank you!

Hi Nick,
Yes, I meant pre-rendered stacks. Of course we so not need all permutations.... If we had about 5 or 6 stacks of each heigth it should be enough to make lots with them without repetitive effect.
After a bit of thinking I even concluded that a group of 2-stacks should be enough.

What I try to achieve is that I can make one lot that contains prop families so that every time I plop the lot I see different stacks of containers. Not only in color, but also in heigth. I now think that it is enough to make 2-stacks. Because it is easy to combine a single container prop family with a 2-stack prop family and an empty prop I will have variations of 0,1 and 2 containers on the spot. That should do the trick.
And I think really that about 6 2-stack props will give enough variation.

Greetings,
Frank

Simmer2

@Sciurus Thanks again!

@Tyberius06 You will get to play with them soon!

@vinlabsc3k Hi, I tend to do my homework before modelling, you do not need straps to secure stacked containers.
These are several types of twist locks used to secure them, some are manual and some are automatic (spring loaded)
Here are 2 pics of them and 1 pic with actual application on container.

@_Michael You stand correct, thank you.

@MushyMushy You are also correct :)

@ FrankU Ok then, I will make 6x2 stacked container renders with mixed logos. I'm assuming 90's should suffice?

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

FrankU

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 26, 2017, 08:57:12 AM

@ FrankU Ok then, I will make 6x2 stacked container renders with mixed logos. I'm assuming 90's should suffice?

Ah yes, that is fine. Thank you!

Simmer2

Ok, getting closer to the end here.

@FrankU I made 10 sets of dual stacked containers. By the way, they look great when loading the TTX cars as well :)

Here are several pics. There are now 15 different labels, all of them have also been made in 22.5 and 45 degrees.

There is also something new (in the last 2 pics). Can you spot it? (I may include it on one of my upcoming lots once I have created all the pieces necessary)

Simmer2/Nick

Tyberius06

Nice-nice.  &apls &apls
I don't remember those rusty wheelstops, and the rail track textures look quite new to me (the shorter ones) if those are textures and not props.

Anyway, very nice!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Alan_Waters

Kitsune

wow that is model train quality !
~ NAM Team Member

Simmer2

Yup, the tracks and ballast are actually props plus the bumper of course.

The locomotive is vester's

Nick

Indiana Joe

Back in the infancy of RRW, Willy considered making 3D rail models.  Decided it was too much work.  I'm glad you've made some, Nick, even if they never go past proof-of-concept.  Looks great.  It's clear to see the advantage of how much detail you can pack into such a small size, and it doesn't look flat like a texture.

Keep up the experiments  :thumbsup: