• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

Alex,

There's a plugin that's interfering with RHW, it causes only the regular ANT to be drawn with the RHW tool. I'm in the process of figuring out what it is, so far it works with the BSC, c.p./cycledogg, and SimGoober folders.

Will keep everyone updated so that the bug can be tracked down.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Hi Kevin-

Thanks for letting me know about that issue.  I'm actually messing around with a couple more plugins right now to see if I can get it to not work.  I just tried it out with the HSRP, and it appears to work fine, at least when the HSRP files all have a z- added in front of their names..

We'll get to the bottom of it. ;)

-Alex

BigSlark

So far 10 out of about 40 folders added. Its going to be a long night for me...

I'd daresay that the final list of 3RR collaboration plugins would be welcome about now...

Tarkus

Hi again Kevin-

I just tested the HSRP without the z- appendage, and it worked fine as well.  I did have a couple more thoughts, though. 

Are you using wouanagaine's DatPacker and running the PluginsCompressed folder it produced?  If so, there may be a compressed NAM v20 without the RHW hiding in there, which would revert everything back. 

Also, are you using cogeo's Fenced GLR pieces?

I'll see what I can do here on my end to speed up the process.

The file that's causing the conflict is obviously something that needs to use RUL 0x10000002 to function, so in all likelihood, it will be a fairly advanced transit-related plugin.

-Alex

(Edit: 100th post)

BigSlark

Alex,

I completely deleted my plugins_compressed when I add new stuff to it, so that's not the problem. I don't use cogeo's Fenced GLR yet, he hasn't released the version with the fence I want.

My Japanese plugins are back in the folder and working fine. Still moving along, about 1/3 of the way there.

Don't stay awake for me, even though it is two hours earlier in the Pacific Northwest. Will post an update when I figure out more.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Hi Kevin-

Don't worry, you're not keeping me up. :D  Thanks for narrowing it down . . . it sounds like there may be some sort of loose NAM file that's outside the NAM Plugin folder, likely in a plug-in folder that is later in the alphabetical order.  As far as I know, the only other files out there that contain the RUL 0x10000002 are the main NetworkAddonMod.DAT file, and the previous version of the RHW (filename RHW_v012_public.DAT).  I've actually had this happen, too, when I was shuffling a bunch of new modifications I was working on around and accidentally dropped some stuff in the wrong folder.

-Alex

BigSlark

Alex,

All right, the conflict exists somewhere within my 59.9 MB "Unfoldered Plugins" folder, which is where essential files, meta mods (like industry quadrupler and city fixes and the like), and the stuff that's really, really old lives. And by really old, I mean dating back to 2003 and 2004, when SC4 and RH were release.

So its back to testing.

I'll keep you posted.

Also, I intend to delete all of my posts, save for the resolution, just to keep the thread clean. Do you agree?

Cheers,
Kevin

EDIT: I hope someone else is reading this besides Alex and myself, even if it is just to laugh at my unorganized plugins folder.

Tarkus

Hi Kevin-

My guess is that you'll probably find a NAM v20 DAT file in the unfoldered part.  If there's anything older than that (including the RHW v12 DAT), then it would have impaired your NAM v20 functionality as well.  That reminds me that I should clean up my unfoldered ones as well.    :D

No need to delete your previous posts unless you really want to, as this process we're going through is one of the most common ones that people installing new transit mods face, so it could be helpful for posterity. ;)

Best of luck finding the culprit, and let me know when you do.  Hope I didn't keep you up too late.  ;)

-Alex

BigSlark

I have found the location of the offending file!

Before I say more, I would like anyone who undertakes a similar task to ignore that you have a blank map to experiment with transit networks.

For example, I now know how to make an entire suburban neighborhood out of roundabouts, which looks pretty, but probably doesn't affect the commute much (if at all).

That being said, Alex had it right, its a transit file. Now the question is, "which one?"

As you can see, these files are varied in their ages, from the PZ12x6_Seaport_P2_aa63f3c1.SC4Lot dating from October 2003 to the EL-pier, which dates from October 2006.

Now I have to figure out which one it is.

Back to the salt, err, SC4 Mines for me!

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Kevin-

Thanks for the image of the Plugins folder.  I'd lean toward Transit_supp_1_2_1 myself--that one looks the most suspicious.

-Alex

Edit: I pulled up that file over at ST, and it appears it is an old, pre-NAM Transit fix that redlotus did back in 2004.

BigSlark

As Archimedes said, "Eureka!"

It turns out that Transit_supp_1_2_1 was the culprit behind not only the RHW problems, but also funny happenings with turning lanes and roundabouts.

Apparently, its an early mod for diagonal one way road intersections and to fix strange behavior between adjacent rail lines, or at least thats what I gathered from the RUL comments and FSH files.

Thanks for the support, Alex. If you'd like to see the file, let me know.

Now I'm going to bed, to do more RHW'ing tomorrow!

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

No problemo, Kevin.  You're more than welcome.  ;)  Glad I was able to help you get that sorted out.  I managed to find that file over at ST, downloaded it, and opened it up in the Reader.  And to show everyone else, the culprit was right at the top of the heap--a 3-year old version of RUL 0x10000002.

I think I'm going to get some sleep as well. :sleeping:  Have a good night, and have fun RHW-ing :thumbsup:.

And I will have an FAQ up shortly with troubleshooting for common installation problems, and some technical info on the mod.

-Alex

HabLeUrG

I have a request:
If is possible to include the default maxis bridge with that highway texture? if it will be awesome  ;D

BigSlark

HabLeUrG, no soy seguro que significas. ¿Significas los puentes de RHW sobre el agua?

Me disculpo si mi gramática es mala.

-Kevin

HabLeUrG

No estoy seguro, pero te dejo una edición
Here is what im talking about, hope you understand  :P
From here:

To here:

see what I mean
(the image is edited, dont think... hehe)

BigSlark

Ah, I understand now. Just wanted to make sure I was answering the right question.

Well, if someone wants to add the RUL's to enable draggable bridges, then it will happen. Someone was working on it but had some issues with it in the past. It seems that jeronji is the current master of the bridge, hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the issue.

Sorry this is not very helpful, its just the facts I know.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

HabLeUrG, that's a brilliant idea! :thumbsup:  I know that qurlix had been working on making bridges for the RHW but ran into some issues--I believe he had some sort of fancy override setup going with it, but I haven't seen his code, so I don't know.  But that solution you posted could work quite nicely. 

I'd still like to figure out the overrides, since I'll need to use them for making bridges for the future, wider RHWs (6+ lanes), and I think I may talk to jeronij about things too, since he is indeed the master of the bridge.  Bridge coding is one area I haven't gotten into much yet, but I'm more than willing to look into it. ;)

-Alex

dedgren

You folks are just phenomenal sorting this stuff out.  Is there a double-secret reference manual somewhere?- I am usually pretty good with puzzle sort of stuff, and I've never been able to make heads or tails of the whole transit thing trying to figure it out on my own.

This. Is. Great. Work!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

jeronij

I had a quick look to the level road bridge, and it seems it should be possible to clone it and add these textures....i repeat "it should be".... because I am not sure until I try to make it seriously  ::)

Btw, the real bridge master is Smoncrie (MIA actually) and I am a humble apprentice who starts to run away when I ear the word "overrides"  $%Grinno$%
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Tarkus

Thanks, David.  That means a lot hearing that from an accomplished SC4 player as yourself. ;)  As far as a double-secret manual, actually for a lot of this stuff, there is no manual, unfortunately.  A lot of it I had to figure out myself, and some of it I've gleaned from what people like Swamper77, qurlix and memo have told me.  And one of the few resources out there, redlotus' Interchange Tutorial, took me about a few months to really decipher--it's not an easy read by any stretch :D.  I'd like to at some point actually produce some sort of manual for getting people started, to perhaps ease the feeling of being overwhelmed that many experience.

And jeronij, that's good news!  As I mentioned in HabLeUrG's RHW Bridge thread, there may be a way to implement the bridges without having to mess around with overrides at this stage.  Eventually, though, if anyone ever wants to tackle the challenge of making bridges for the wider RHWs, that will probably need to be investigated.

Well, I figured I may as well bring an overview of some of the things that will be coming to the RHW Project in the future.  Some of this you may have seen before at that "other site", but I figured I'd bring it over in a comprehensive overview.

The first of these is the RHWMIS (Rural Highway Modular Interchange System).  Basically, the RHWMIS is a "toolkit" for the construction of completely customized interchanges.  The ramps have been broken up into smaller pieces, often just 1x1 or 1x2, which can be assembled in a nearly infinite variety of ways, and can even be used to create interchanges up to real-world scale.

A few RHWMIS pieces:

Interchanges produced by the RHWMIS (the textures and other "cosmetic" aspects will be improved ;)):

(Note that buildings can be placed between the ramps and the highway)

In addition to the this, the RHW is being produced in a variety of wider versions beyond the currently available 4-lane (2-per-direction) version:

Further, as a result of collaboration with blahdy, creator of the Boston Central Artery/Tunnel (Big Dig) and Charles River Crossing Project (CRCP), the RHW will also be going underground--literally:

Plus, the RHW will also eventually be available in a Double-Decker version:

Further updates on these projects will be posted here as they occur. ;)

-Alex