• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Places, Faces... pictures (on a semi-daily basis) by SimFox

Started by SimFox, January 31, 2008, 05:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

I'll try to share here with you god folk, some of the things I've seen and found interesting in one way or another, may be any of it will pick someone's else eye...
There is no particular order. Just one a day...

So here we go:

For the love of things tall
Shanghai, Pearl of the Orient Tower

iamgoingtoeatyou

That's such a great picture, you can the Oriental Pearl Tower right on the phone's screen :P Nice one!

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

SimFox

Yeah  :D such a Freudian Slip!

Ok, next one:

The River
Barcelona, La Rambla

SimFox

R E D
barcelonaMACBA

SimFox

Potzdamer Platz
Berlin Potsdammer Platz
(redundancy effect)

SimFox

Krio

SimFox

Yes, of course...
BTW, I said so in the title of this thread...

Shadow Assassin

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Krio

I see no sentence which says "I took pics myself" or similar  &mmm
but I ask same what SA is, are you a professional photographer? If you are, do you work for newspaper / magazine?

callagrafx

Quote from: Krio on February 04, 2008, 08:24:57 AM
I see no sentence which says "I took pics myself" or similar  &mmm

Missed the thread title did we?

SF, are you using an SLR with circular polariser by any chance?  I ask as the scraper in Berlin has no reflection on the windows, but you can see through them...That and the vibrant colours from Helsinki are indicative of its use.  Also the depth of field suggests SLR (normal digi cameras do not have this ability as the aperture is fixed).  Would be interested in your shooting equipment...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Krio

Quote from: callagrafx on February 04, 2008, 09:24:52 AM
Missed the thread title did we?

Again, not said cleary that his own pictures. Because that could mean that he has collected some pics and now shows them..

SimFox

Krio, sorry if I've confused you..
As for my photography it is largely a hobby (of about 4 years now), although few of my pictures were used in various magazines and books (even as a covers...)

Callagrafx:
Yep you are right on all counts. Small sencor of compact digital cameras make impossible any meaningful DOF other then in macro mode. Also you are right on polarizer filter on both Berlin and Helsinki shots.
I have Nikon D70 and Nikon D300 (for a few months) bodies and Nikkor AF-S 18-70 f3,5-4,5 DX, Nikkor AF-S 18-200 f3,5-5,6 DX VR II, Sigma EX APO 70-200 f2,8 HSM. Pluss filters, Flash al all the trinkets that normally accompany SLRs...

Major reason for getting dSLR  is to photograph people, live... As only SLRs have focusing system fast and precise enough for such a task...

callagrafx

Quote from: SimFox on February 04, 2008, 03:42:07 PM
Major reason for getting dSLR  is to photograph people, live... As only SLRs have focusing system fast and precise enough for such a task...

Yeah, I know what you mean...shutter lag on digital is a real PITA, which is why I got me a D40x...It's a great little camera although the lack of a lens motor in the body, while making it nice and compact, limits my choice of lenses to Nikkor only...The other benefit I found with the SLR was the RAW format, NEF, is excellent with no loss in clarity that the Canon range suffers from.

SimFox

Well RAW is always better be it on Canon Nikon or anything else... It is what your camera is actually records, well almost. Being black and white data it suffers no White Balance problem, relieving your from another concern at the time of actual shooting. Also it allows you significant latitude in terms of exposure. But this is where a little hidden issue actually is. In Nikons NEF (nikon raw) isn't same on all cameras, in chipper models (up to D200/300 level) is actually lossily compressed this affects, to a degree amount of manipulation you can do with it in a converter. Still, NO jpg will ever be as good as RAW image in terms of editability and potential final quality in every respect. ' for one, photograph ONLY in RAW. Although there are some professional photographers who do so in JPGs. When I ask when why, they simply say - out of habit...
About Lenses on Nikon D40x, actually you shouldn't be limited to Nikkors... What you need is a lens with own motor. This means that for instance all Sigmas with HSM (HyperSonicMotor) and, naturally Nikon mount, would work on it. At the same time all Nikkor non-AF-S lenses wouldn't...
My biggest grievance with this camera would be... wait... it's size... I think it is too small. I mean it is too big to slip it into the pocket and be allowed into clubs, concerts etc. but too small to handle comfortably. Or may be it is that I'm accustomed to the larger bodies...

OK, 'noth with the talks..
Here is todays picture:

AA
(armedArt)

Paris@Louvre

callagrafx

Unfortunately it's not that simple with the lenses...the HSM will fit the D40x but AF is not supported, I guess it's not just about the motor, but then I'm not overly worried as the 55-200 lens I have was designed specifically for the D40 and up range, so the optics are suited to the CCD with very little or no abberation.  I'd agree with the size to an extent, but one thing I've found with it is even with the heavy zoom, it's perfectly balanced so camera shake is drastically reduced.

On to the pic...I like the composition, especially the captured look of menace  :thumbsup:

SimFox

D40 and 40X are missing focus drive motor, so they need lenses with such a motor.
AF-S of Nikkor lenses isn't a focusing system, just a motor, all the focusing information is still processed in the camera and sent to the lens electronically
HSM is a motor in Sigma lenses. So all Sigma HSM lenses would work fine with D40/40x.
Same could be said about lenses from Tamron, Kenko etc. As long as they have got their own motor they will work.
So don't let all the rubbish talk of camera salesmen to confuse you. Nikkor lenses are more expensive and no always for a good reason...

callagrafx

Quote from: SimFox on February 05, 2008, 06:18:19 AM
So don't let all the rubbish talk of camera salesmen to confuse you. Nikkor lenses are more expensive and no always for a good reason...

Got it from the horses mouth...

From the Nikon site:

QuoteNikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported,
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus,
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus,
4) Other AF Nikkor (Excluding lenses for F3AF)/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II,
5): Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster.
(IX Nikkor lenses can not be used).
From Sigma:
QuoteAuto Focus of HSM Lens for some Nikon Cameras does not work.
The AF control system for some Nikon Cameras does not work with HSM lenses. Sigma's HSM lenses have full compatibility with F5, F4 series, F100, F90/N90, F90X/N90S, F80/N80 F70/N70, u/F65/N65,Pronea 600 and Pronea S. With other Nikon cameras, Sigma's HSM version lenses can be only used in manual focusing mode.

This, unfortunately, is the trade off for a lightweight compact SLR...As I said though, as the lenses I have are both superb, I've no complaints...And I picked up the 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX new from ebay for £110

SimFox

Well this is a very interesting and , what more important, invested horse. I mean Nikon of course. Naturally it mentions nothing of any competition, creating sort of impression that only Nikkor lenses will work...

As far as Sigma notice. Funny how it mentions ONLY film bodies. If that to be believed then no Sigma lens should work with ANY digital Nikon Body as none is mentioned. So it is either old info, or very particular dealing exclusively with the type.
I'm curios as for the exact source, though, cause ...

Quote1/5/2007

Nikon D40 Compatible Lenses

The New Nikon D40 is the first Nikon body without a built in auto focus motor. This means that the any lens used with the D40 will need the auto focus motor built into the lens. These lenses are called AFS lenses. Sigma has a large line of compatible AFS type lenses. Most of these lenses have the HSM motor in them with the Exception of the 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG OS (optically stabilized).

The following lenses are fully compatible with the Nikon D40:

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC

12-24mm F4.5-5.6

17-35mm F2.8-4 DG

50-500mm F4-6.3 DG

APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

70-200mm F2.8 DG MACRO

80-400mm F4.5-5.6

100-300mm F4 DG

120-300mm F2.8 DG

300-800mm F5.6 DG

14mm F2.8 EX

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

150mm F2.8 EX DG

180mm F3.5 EX DG

300mm EX DG

500mm EX DG

800mm f5.6 EX DG
Source:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3289

Curiously Some HSM lenses are not mentioned. Also dispite the claim  very few in the list are in fact the HSM. I have some reason to believe that it is no full list.
I can test this Saturday if my Sigma EX APO 70-200 f2,8 HSM will work with D40. It is NOT on the Sigma list, it will be interesting to see will it work or not.