• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

OMG soo very OMG WOW!!! I now have a collection of drool from all the wonderful stuff going on here David.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Yes, I'd have to say the pucker factor of that track checker is probably off the scale.

I have it on good authority that they both were going in the same direction, and everyone came out just fine.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CaptCity

Well, this is the second time I've had to pick myself up off the floor after seeing a series of 3RR images (usually I'm gripping the arm rests so tightly while perusing that I can't move  ;)), so I figure that means I'd better post my complements on the quality of work going on here. The single rail shots are magnificent, fantastic, wonderful... Well, mere words can't express it. Thanks to all for your efforts, and thanks also for transporting this game into something I can look forward to playing for years to come.
Oh yes, David, I don't know where you are in the testing of the FAR/FARR, but I got a bit more free time now and if you need further testing done, I'll gladly offer my services (sounds like begging doesn't it  ;)). If not, I'll wait patiently and anxiously for release. Again, thanks for all you do for this community.  :thumbsup:

Pat

I would sure hope soo that both the track checker was going faster in front of that freight train lol  ;)  btw David you might find this very handy [linkie]

EDITI did, Pat- thank you very much.  A few days ago, I never paid any attention to the track checker- now I am rid of it altogether. -DE

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Absolutely beautiful work, Matt. The rock texture on the end supports is an especially nice touch. Your bridges have an old-fashioned country look to them that I really appreciate.

Later...
Joan

DFire870

Ooh, the single track railroad looks great David! I've been waiting a loong time for someone to make this, especially since the area I live in has plenty of the single tracks.

On another note, I was really bored the other day so I started looking around on Google Maps, and I found a town that you might be interested in: Three Rivers, Texas. :P It's a small town halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi off of Interstate 37. I haven't been there, but I've passed by it because I lived in Corpus for about 5 years.

-- John

EDITBeen through there, John.  I was stationed briefly at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio in the early 70s before I-37 was completed all the way to Corpus Christi.  We drove to Padre Island along that route several times, and my map atlas from that date shows I would have driven right through Three Rivers.  I'll have to look through my pics to see if there were any I took there.  Thanks for reminding me about this. -DE
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

emilin

Best. Looking. Rail. Bridge. Ever. Full stop.

&apls &apls &apls

EDITYep. -DE

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Andreas

Quote from: Swamper77 on October 13, 2008, 09:21:42 PM
Actually, the signal models were released on the STEX, not the LEX. As for the actual mod that I have, it will most likely never be released. I modified the files and repackaged them into DAT files so it would be against the LEX Rules to upload them. It would only work on orthogonal sections anyways, as there aren't any diagonal models.

Well, there are still some (ok, not some, but more than 150) unreleased SFBT rail signals, which also include diagonal and offset props... ;)

EDIT: LOL, Andreas.  How can I read that...  ...150 unreleased SFBT rail signals...  ...and not have the phrase "the usual Teutonic thoroughness and attention to detail" come to mind? -DE
Andreas

bat

Fantastic work there on these rail-textures, that bridge is also looking beautiful! Nice stuff!

Looking forward to more...

btw my 6050th post here!!!

metarvo

When I saw this bridge in Matt's thread, I knew it would end up over here.  Now that it has, I'm glad, because this is the first time that I have seen the bridge connect to STR.  You have done a fine job on this bridge, Matt. :thumbsup:  David, I find it hard to believe that you didn't have much to do with the STR's comeback.  At the very least, you are testing it and showing it to us, right?  That's a very valuable service right there. :)

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

gardenwong

after I saw the FARR and the STR, I think it is time to try to develop this type of track :)

EDITHi, gardenwong, welcome to 3RR!  The trackage you are describing in your diagram is on the list for the "Phase II" RAM set.  There's a few issues- all the tracks fit nicely across on one gridsquare but the ballast spills over onto each of the adjacent "side" squares.  We're thinking about it, though, and about what we might be able to do to get around the issues that situation raises. -DE
俺がã,¬ãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ ã wwwwww

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Geronimo

Again fantastic work on those tracks, and the bridge is awesome!      (btw..the track-checker picture =  :D  )    &apls
Cant wait to see what you guys come up with next!!!
See, now you got me totally addicted, thanks a bunch  :P

EDITGeir- I missed welcoming you to 3RR the other day when I saw your first post.  Glad to see you settling in. -DE

CarmineHilton

I'm amazed by what you're creating here! This will be another great addition to the game :)
Any hints on when it might get released? ;)

xo Carmine

EDITIn that it's planned to be a component of the NAM, Carmine, nobody knows...  Well, all right- somebody knows, but he or she's not tellin'. -DE

dedgren

The "before breakfast" treat.

This is becoming a daily thing.

I have started looking around for railroad signals and associated stuff thinking that a set of railroad ploppables could be made out of the best of them.

One thing I think that everyone has in mind when they think of rail are signal bridges.  These things.

All rights reserved in original copyright holder

There is a quite old one on the STEX by ardecila.  As the exception to just about everything else ardecila ever did, I don't care for the way the BATting is done in that it just doesn't bring to mind the RL object it seeks to model.

Dark_Jedi06 has made this (which I've made ploppable).

Once again, I'm not real keen on the BATting job.

n.b.I am the first to admit, and will once again, that I cannot BAT.  I have tried and failed miserably- several times.  This inability is probably the bane of my SC4 existence.  So, whenever I am critical of another person's BAT effort, it should be incorporated by reference that my hat is off to her or him for being able to do something that I lack the skill to.  I'll always try to explain why, and I apologize humbly in advance to the extent I've stepped on anyone's toes. -DE

The concrete piers are too bright and too uniform for my taste.  The overall structure is way too "heavy" for its relatively small size- all the girders and struts are too "thick" in cross section.  To the extent that there would be "decking" across the top, it would likely be several planks of wood and not a uniform gray color.  The (silver?) ladders should be a better match with the rest of the structure.  The signals themselves are all but invisible.

Beyond that, once I made the Dark_Jedi06's signal bridge ploppable, I found that it wasn't offset, so it cannot be used as a ploppable prop in any event.  That's not a fault, mind you- the DL comes with a transit-enabled lot and it works perfectly fine on such.  It simply cannot be adapted for 3RR purposes.

Our specs would require, beyond this, that there would be ortho, diagonal, FARR18 and FARR72 variants and that the BATted signall bridge be offset 10 meters on its long axis at the base.  If there's anyone who would like to give a signal bridge along that line a try, well- that would just be great, and I know of a place where it would be showcased.

Here's a list of all the railroad signal and associated stuff DLs I could find.  They are all on the STEX.

Oh, please don't forget- if you are a Wide Curves/FAR/FARR beta tester and you would like your input taken into account (we are, ummm.... facing an impending deadline), please post your report and pics here by close of business this Friday, the 17th.  Thanks so much.

Later.

David

149025 - 150,000 page views tomorrow!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

Wow, everyone!  The progress in this thread is absolutely stunning!

I bet the driver in the track checker had the throttle open as far as it could go.  :P

TheTeaCat

Stunning work on the transition from STR to Dual track and the breakfast teaser &apls &apls

And the pic of Matt's bridge is just splendid :D

This just gets better and better everyday.

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

David I soo agree with what Derry said that it just gets better every day!!!  :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

I've been thinking about the STR a little bit this afternoon, David.

Is a splitter piece like this:

...possible (forgive the crude sketch)?

I was thinking something along the lines of what can be done with one-way roads and avenues, only with a puzzle piece that allows two STRs to branch off a single splitter piece that connects to the regular rails.

Of course, this is all way above my pay grade, since I have no idea about the amount of work that goes into all of this. If this isn't plausible or even possible, I do apologize. I just thought it would be an interesting addition.

You and all those involved are doing an incredible job with this, and I simply cannot thank you enough!

Dustin

inspecter