• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Looking good, looking good! ;)

I really like what you did with the street bridge! Very innovative in true David-style. I always learn something new here and that's why I love coming here!  :thumbsup:

Edit: Welcome to page 28!  &apls This MD is growing at a tremendous pace! Well done! ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

dedgren

I really shouldn't do this- I have told many other folks with MDs/CJs to pace themselves- don't worry about getting content up just because you have it ready.  It's a good feeling to have an update or two "in the can" ready to go, so to speak.

That said, every so often a comment or two really catches my attention.  This time, they were ones pertaining to needing some extraordinary degree of patience or time to do what I'm doing.  It never seems to me to take that long or be that hard, but then I've never paid much attention, as I'm too busy enjoying playing the game.

If you remember, I left my "doodle" quad at this point as to Pratt Island itself

and I had plopped seasonal trees on one smaller offshore island (one of McKee's Rocks, if you're following the map).

So I decided to do a little experiment.  At precisely 10:30 this morning, I set out to plop seasonal trees on the entire quad and detail shorelines and shallow waters to my satisfaction and see how long it would take.  I estimated two hours or so.  I didn't plan to work any faster than normal- just continuously and without getting distracted by sideshows.

As I didn't want to go to the lengths of using a "chess clock" arrangement to deduct the time needed to take in process pics, there are none.  After I stopped, though, I took the following.  They satisfy me- you be the judge as to whether you would have been happy or not.

Total time spent...

...wait for it...

...one hour and thirty-six minutes from start to hitting the "Save" button for the last time.

n.b.:  I save the game every ten minutes or so.  I haven't had a crash to desktop since last summer, if that recently.

Now, was the fact that this was a "buncha" water quad cheating as far as skewing the results?  I'd say no, as it takes more time to detail shorelines than to plop trees.

One hour and thirty-six minutes.  That's a nice SC4 evening session, right there.  Plus, it doesn't seem like work once you get the routine down.  I just make as many passes as there are discrete things I want to place in the land/water scape.

So again, there you have it.

Driving to Fairbanks again tomorrow- the next installment of the seasonal trees tutorial goes up from the road, hopefully along with some wintertime pics of Mount McKinley.

Have a great weekend!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Rayden

Nice work David, as usual. You're a master on landscaping. Have a pleasant journey to Fairbanks tomorrow. Looking forward to see those pics of McKinley's. You might have to show me that for real one of these days ;)

petercintn

Very nice.  Those seasonal trees are really looking sweet.  Drive safe.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Zaphod

hah neat

You know I normally dont think of fall colors when I think of alaska, but rather evergreen trees. But I imagine you guys have all sorts of orange leaves come fall, right?
War Kittens !?

bat

beautiful pictures! wonderful using of trees! :thumbsup: &apls

MY 950th post!!!

thundercrack83

David,

First let me say that the entire landscaping of Pratt Island looks absolutely outstanding. Now that I've said that, I must also point out that the fact that it only took you 1 hour and 36 minutes to do makes me want to hit you with sticks. Just kidding! Though I am quite amazed at how you are able to produce such great work by doing what you call, "doodling." Great work!

Take care,

Dustin

kimcar

&apls Very good work . I just love what i saw . Great use of naturel elements . Keep it up .  :thumbsup:

joelevan

Just wanted to say, "Hello!" to everyone here. I have not technically been a lurker, but I kind of feel like it as I have spent the last 3 days catching up on this MD. Well done! I followed a couple of CJs on ST in the past, but not Three Rivers. This is GREAT! Keep it up. I can't wait for the next update.

Joel

emilin

Pacing yourself is overrated - in life and SC4. ;D

First off: &apls

Then a thought: Personally I think that the Olympic beach mod is the among the best things ever to increase realism with the terrain. It's highly useful and mixes well with any terrain (I chose to use it together with the painted desert terrain, instead of the default Moab beache mod and it looks perfectly natural together with the red sandy terrain too). It looks like you are using the Columbus beach mod (the second best mod in my opinion), and it fits the terrain prefectly and looks very nice. I was just wondering if you had tried the Olympic beaches instead? I'm not suggesting you change the entire terrain - Columbus seems like the perfect choice for 3RR - just the beaches. It might be a little too "swampy" though, but I don't think it will.

The problem with beaches in SC4 (as with so much else) is scale, in my opinion. They are too big, and when they are accentuated they make the landscape look like a miniature model rather then real nature. The advantage that the Olympic beaches has over all the other available mods is that it blends with the "above" level of terrain.

Just a thought.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

NikNik

Hello david,

wow I have not responded in a long time now. I lurked around for most of the time.
Impressive work in only 1.36 hours. Although someone as experienced as you are with some clear thoughts on what he wants to do can work quickly I guess.

You've made some impressive close ups. I ike them a lot.

I am switching lurk-mode on again. See ya.

Nik-Nik

Badsim

You're the only guy I know being able to captivate me  with  just a road and a few trees ... incredible . This is the signature of the highests .... ()stsfd()

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

dedgren

That old master D. Edgreschetti didn't just paint piazzas in Italian cities- oh, no.  He also did landscapes.  Here's one looking northwest from the top of Briggs Hill into the Northern Range.

The RL inspiration for these can be found here [linkie].

More tutorial likely tonight.  An update to the backstory is in the works, too.

Have a great week.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Bravissimo, Signore Edgreschetti! As soon as I finish here, I'm moving over to see the pictures from Mount McKinley. Also, I'll be waiting in eager anticipation for the tutorial and the updated backstory. Take care.

pvarcoe

Even when I'm bagged with work, and have no time left in the day; this is the one stop I've got to make.

And it never dissappoints.

Thanks David!

Phil

M4346

Quote from: thundercrack83 on February 26, 2007, 09:26:50 AM
I'll be waiting in eager anticipation for the tutorial and the updated backstory.

Ditto!  ;D

Have a great day over there on the other side of the world!

Regards,

Marius
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

krbe

David,

Where do you get all the objects that are present on the shores? I have the logs, but not the other ones.

The detailed terrain is almost scary, when you think about how little detail vanilla ships with.

Tarkus

Wow, 1hr 36min . . . that's quick. :D  Excellent as always, David.  Nice pic of the northern range as well.  Hope everything is going well in Fairbanks, and that you have a safe drive back.

Best Regards,
Alex

tkirch

David you always do some amazing things.  Do you find your computer runs any slower with all the Seasonal Trees, that is something I worry about with them?

Todd