• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueTemplar

Hi!

Since I installed NAM the traffic congestion view doesn't work anymore - all I get are some randomly placed splotches of color in green roads.

z

The congestion view is working fine.  The congestion you're seeing around intersections is due to the intersection and turn effect; for the first time, Sims are actually slowing down around heavily trafficked intersections.

BlueTemplar

Oh, so it's normal if I get this kind of view?

I thought the slow down was supposed to happen at the intersections, not before them... by the way, what are the strategies to speed up traffic at the intersections? Do the roundabouts help?

z

Yes, that is normal.  There is some slowdown at the intersections themselves if traffic gets heavy enough, but often, as in your case, there is none at all.  This was necessary in order to make the traffic simulators compatible with the Network Widening Mod, where many of the avenues essentially look like a continuing series of intersections to the game.

If you want to get rid of the intersection effect, the easiest thing to do is to use the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool to dial down the Customers/Traffic Noise Coefficient to 0.2, which is its lowest setting.  This removes the intersection effect from all tiles around the intersection except the intersection itself, which cannot be modified for the compatibility reasons mentioned above.  But this would turn your whole map green again.  Of course, this means that Sims would zip through stop signs and stoplights without even taking their foot off the gas.

Roundabouts are another solution that would work without having to change the Customers/Traffic Noise Coefficient.  However, having traffic slow down at stop lights at stop signs is a normal part of city traffic, and doesn't really require corrective action unless you start getting widespread congestion.

If you don't already have the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool and you want to use it, you can get it as part of the NAM Traffic Subsystem.

k808j

@Tarkus

The trains are slowly reappearing. I guess the simulation had to run a few cycles to get use to the new NAM.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

MOREOPTIONS

Boxes on my Streets,. but they go away when I change the txtr...  have any idea.. Net.. am un able to make bridges with my hwy,. but able to make with RHW.... have studied all presentations on line to see if i am over looking anything,  went as fat to totally un install sc4d andmake a totally fresh install.  am still working on replassing all my other components.  Cam/ so on so forth.... as I am not only installing small parts and testing till it's a sure fix. but now holding to see what can be fixed in the street's and my bridges.... Thank you. God Bless

j-dub

MoreOptions, going as far to uninstall SC4Deluxe was not even necessary. The big brown boxes in any event, NAM related or some other plugin are the result of some dependencies missing. These can be model files, whether their some sort of building or props like trees, lights, cars, etc. However, whatever you are missing goes a step beyond here. In the future, you do not worry about the installation of the game itself, but rather what is your Plugins folder. However, the more you take out of your plugins folder, the more boxes you will get though, as a result of taking stuff out.

Moonraker0

How do you raise the ground 10 meters to make a street tunnel to underground road FLUP?  I accomplished this once by using Smoncrie's ground lifter (which is 15m high) and flattening the terrain with street tiles about two tiles down from the slope's peak, but that isn't working for me on the other side of the hill.  When it seems I have a 10m high hill, placing the street tunnel piece on the hill's slope will just cause the hill to partially flatten out, as in reach a medium height between the top and bottom of the slope.  I used two consecutive ground lifters (total 30m) and then two deeper hole diggers for rail (total 20m down from there).

And by the way, I still don't know how to place el-rail over pedmall in the new NAM...

io_bg

Moonraker0 - use a 10m ground lifter, not 15m one. I'm using these hole digging lots and have no problems with them.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Mike1814

I can't seem to use the NWM. When I try to apply a patch, this appears:

justatest

Wonderful NAM - I love all the new possibilites we have now.
I also like the autoplace feature.

Because of that I tried to replicate the bug with the ferry terminal some seem to have (according to Tarkus because of the FAR autoplace).
However I have no problem placing the car & passenger ferry terminal with the NAM 2010 (and RHW and NWM) installed.
Why is this so?

Tarkus

Quote from: Mike1814 on May 30, 2010, 11:36:30 AM
I can't seem to use the NWM. When I try to apply a patch, this appears:

You've either got some conflicting files around that are messing up your NWM install, or somehow, you ended up deleting the Locale file.  I'd recommend emptying out the Plugins, doing a clean NAM/NWM install and then slowly adding stuff back in, making sure you're not reintroducing the file(s) causing the problems.

-Alex

sunnyhead

Hi all,
I have a new computer. have installed SC4 and Rush hr. and starting it all over again. just installed the latest NAM. only uploaded my old bats, props, lots, region files from the old comp so there's no old NAM or traffic stimulator file. still, i have this small problem, in alternative transport meny I see 2 icons form underground subway and few icons are invisible.
I can't find any old subway plugin file installed by mistake.
I was going through this huge topic  ()sad() and to be honest don't have patience to read everything  :'( , therefore I am posting it here hoping this is not been discussed before. if there is any link or answer to this question please let me know.

z

Are there any files ending in ".sav" in your NAM folder?  If so, you should delete them.  And if those are traffic simulator files, that would get rid of the extra subway icons.

CaptCity

Quote from: justatest on May 30, 2010, 01:02:18 PM
I also like the autoplace feature. Because of that I tried to replicate the bug with the ferry terminal some seem to have (according to Tarkus because of the FAR autoplace). However I have no problem placing the car & passenger ferry terminal with the NAM 2010 (and RHW and NWM) installed.
Why is this so?

Did you try placing the ferry in all four directions?

dare2go

Before I ask a NAM specific question: does this Forum contain an "Advanced Search" where I can search only within the NAM or RHW section - hence don't get results from all forum sections...?

Re. NAM: am I missing something, or is there no piece for "Oneway on Slope with T"?

There is one for roads, but tabbing through the oneway options I seem to get none...

Also: which are the best TRAM stations? ...and where can I find them?

I'm currently using the German ones (I think form Andreas) which are split into lines (red, yellow, blue, green), but I get total problems with passenger overload. Somehow the passenger capacity figures aren't right: all in-avenue stations have 20,000, all stand-alone stations only a capacity of 2,000 - so you have people boarding in an avenue, and creating problems when they wanna get off the train (eg. change lines or to ground rail). Almost from day 1 my 2 stations in front of a train station had over 4,000 passengers using each...
SimCity - proof that the earth is flat

Mike1814

Quote from: Tarkus on May 30, 2010, 02:25:03 PM
You've either got some conflicting files around that are messing up your NWM install, or somehow, you ended up deleting the Locale file.  I'd recommend emptying out the Plugins, doing a clean NAM/NWM install and then slowly adding stuff back in, making sure you're not reintroducing the file(s) causing the problems.

-Alex

I realized I forget about some old NAM Essentials files I left in the plugin folder. All is well now. Hopefully, this NAM will work more properly.

sim-al2

Just use search within the subforum you want to search in. ;) As for that puzzle piece, no I don't think there is. There is a pack of interiem T-RAM stations by Z on the LEX. You should install the optional high-capcity files included in the SFBT download if your stations are being overloaded.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

z

Quote from: dare2go on May 31, 2010, 04:23:28 AM
Also: which are the best TRAM stations? ...and where can I find them?

I'm currently using the German ones (I think form Andreas) which are split into lines (red, yellow, blue, green), but I get total problems with passenger overload. Somehow the passenger capacity figures aren't right: all in-avenue stations have 20,000, all stand-alone stations only a capacity of 2,000 - so you have people boarding in an avenue, and creating problems when they wanna get off the train (eg. change lines or to ground rail). Almost from day 1 my 2 stations in front of a train station had over 4,000 passengers using each...

Sim-al2 is correct; the SFBT stations are very high quality, and their high capacity versions should work well for you.  Also, in addition to the RTMT Interim T-RAM Stations that contain stations for tram-in-road and tram-on-road, there's the Roadtop Mass Transit V3.50 package that contains tram-in-avenue stations, and the RTMT Add-On Pack V3.60, which contains some GLR transitions, as well as important updates to the original Roadtop Mass Transit V3.50.  The Add-On Pack addresses the capacity issues as well, so you don't have to worry about which capacity you choose if you install the Roadtop Mass Transit V3.50.

dare2go

Thanks to z for the detailled reply re. the TRAM stations - very helpful...  &apls

I'm stuck [with a new city I'm playing to learn about all the different NAM features - - - and limitations - as I find out]...

Please have look at the photo and tell me if there are any solutions I might have overlooked for the 3 issues highlighted:

This highway had been (sorta) planned for, but only now is it time to insert it... I first tried to lay a RHW along the sunken bit, but failed completely with adding any on/off ramps to it (couldn't get it to work due to gradient of slope).

Cheers!
SimCity - proof that the earth is flat