• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

The use of the old Puzzle-based road viaducts is most likely the cause here. Being a puzzle piece, you can't drag into them to connect them up. If you must do it that way, build the MIS pieces first, connecting both sides together. Then click with the RHW disconnecter where you plan to place the puzzle piece. This may not work however, the real solution is...

Use the Draggable Road Viaduct on-slopes instead. They are configured to allow you to drag MIS/RHW-4 right through them and create the correct intersection for you. Puzzle pieces are really inflexible, precisely why they are being replaced.

eagle74

It appears that I am using the "old way" to make interchanges.  I did not include the road override networks in the NAM install, so I need to rerun it & try the current methods for interchanges.  Thanks for the help.   

eagle74

If the 15m road viaduct is dragged across the RHW-4 first, then, the same issue occurs:  The RHW flex height will not go all the way to butt up against it. 

If the RHW flex height is put in place first, then, the road viaduct can be put into place as well.  Dragging through the first set of flex heights works fine converting the viaduct to road/MIS intersection.  But, when the second set of flex heights is dragged through it deconstructs the overpass section (two tiles directly over the RHW-4).  Tried it several times with the same result. 

mgb204

Quote from: eagle74 on June 10, 2017, 06:22:53 PM
If the 15m road viaduct is dragged across the RHW-4 first, then, the same issue occurs:  The RHW flex height will not go all the way to butt up against it. 

If the RHW flex height is put in place first, then, the road viaduct can be put into place as well.

Absolutely what I'd expect. Because the flex-height ramps have an overhang when placing it, which must be on a blank tile. So you should always place them first.

QuoteDragging through the first set of flex heights works fine converting the viaduct to road/MIS intersection.  But, when the second set of flex heights is dragged through it deconstructs the overpass section (two tiles directly over the RHW-4).  Tried it several times with the same result.

How compact is your setup? If the on-slopes are right up against the MIS/Road transitions, then right after that you cross RHW-4, mirroring this setup on both sides, that is asking a lot of the code to process. However, these pieces are pretty good stability wise, but for a L2 crossing you are going to want an extra tile between the On-Slopes and the Road/MIS pieces.

If you are used to the PP system, perhaps L2 just seemed like the way to go here? But more and more RHW and other NAM content is using the 7.5m or L1 heights, which is really the default now. The setup you want will work without additional spaces at L1, but I guess the extra stability code hasn't been added for L2 yet. So if it doesn't mess with your plans, I'd consider using a L1 crossing instead, it will be much tighter.

eagle74

When I was making the overpass from pieces L2 was used because of the L2 road over RHW piece (which only comes in L2?). 

OK, I tried the L1 flex ramps with & without a one tile gap with the same result: the overpass deconstructs when the second set of flex heights is dragged through.  The short section of dragged road viaduct over RHW loses its override code & reverts to L0.

mgb204

You may see some instability in the first instance, but a little bit of clicking around should resolve this. I tested this last night before posting, so it definitely works. I couldn't get that result with the L2 though.

The code that makes this work is very complex, when you click randomly with the RHW tool on a part of the setup, the game looks again at all the parts and may change some of the pieces. This clicking is often needed for the game to work out exactly how everything should be.

Also make sure you have the latest (35) version of NAM, since a lot of the code improvements for the drag road viaducts were added in that version. So with an older build, you may again need the extra spaces between pieces.

eagle74

Well, it finally worked on L1 by following your clicking around advice.  Used the same procedure as before & dragging through the last set of flex heights deconstructed the road over RHW as before.  So, I clicked on the flex height where it meets the intersection (probably hit the intersection with it) & the road reverted back to L1 over the RHW.  However, the intersection was converted to road/RHW-2 with traffic signals on the road sides.  Checking Draw Paths, they were messed up with red Xs in the intersection.  So, I clicked on the road viaduct with the road tool where it meets the intersection & the traffic signals disappeared.  Paths look OK, but the intersection still does not look like a road/MIS.  I really appreciate all the help from all.

And yes, I am running NAM35.  First download last week when I started playing again.  Great job by all!

mgb204

I've uploaded a short tutorial based around using the new Flex Pieces. It should be online in an hour or so here. Hopefully that will show you how it should work, although it sounds to me like you got it now.

SimCity V6

There seems to be some talk here about viaducts here, and I'm so sorry to barge in with the current request, but does anyone know if the draggable FLEX on-slope road viaducts work and how? The only ones that seem to pop up are the regular ramp transitions, and I might have selected everything. Do those need to be rotated or placed in a different way? So sorry for such a simple question anyway, thought this was crucial to what I'm building now.

mgb204

Indeed they do work. The point of the draggable versions is that after placing either a ramp or on-slope piece, you can simply drag the network as usual, only it will be elevated. See the tutorial in my last post (online now), which shows how to use them.

eagle74

Thanks for the video.  The L2 is definitely not stable without the extra tile space.

SimCity V6

Quote from: mgb204 on June 11, 2017, 08:04:58 PM
Indeed they do work. The point of the draggable versions is that after placing either a ramp or on-slope piece, you can simply drag the network as usual, only it will be elevated. See the tutorial in my last post (online now), which shows how to use them.

So with this... do I just drag the road/avenue/OWR networks through RHW FlexTrans on-slope pieces, or were you dragging the RHW-2 network through in the video? How would it work with avenues, anyhow? I'm confused about the pieces. I'm meaning that only the ground-to-elevated ramp (not on-slope) ramps show up in the draggable road viaducts menu. I'll test the rest in-game, but I'm hoping I get the best solution here.

mgb204

Quote from: SimCity V6 on June 12, 2017, 05:39:20 PM
So with this... do I just drag the road/avenue/OWR networks through RHW FlexTrans on-slope pieces, or were you dragging the RHW-2 network through in the video? How would it work with avenues, anyhow?

Although the on-slope shows a preview with RHW-2, you use the network you want the viaduct to be, either Road, OWR or AVE (requires two on-slopes next to each other). If you drag RHW-2, I've a feeling it simply wouldn't do anything, since it's not interchangeable with the RHW variant. Likewise you can't use the RHW ones for making Road/OWR/Ave viaducts.

QuoteI'm meaning that only the ground-to-elevated ramp (not on-slope) ramps show up in the draggable road viaducts menu.

That's weird to say the least, since you should either have all or nothing. When you tab-through the options you should have 6 Starter pieces (L1 & L2 for each network), 6 Ramp pieces, then at the end 2 on-slope pieces. Note these are not separated by the network choices, since you can use the same on-slope pieces with all three.

If this doesn't help, perhaps you need to consider re-installing the NAM, since they should be there if the other parts are installed.

Kitsune

is the normal mis x rhw4 intersection broken? I swear I use to able to do this, now all that happens is it either deconverts  or it gives the red square impossible.
~ NAM Team Member

Kitsune

could I asky why? It supports every other intersection... and could make for some fun (and oddly realstic as I've encoutered some of these) interchanges.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

RHW can convert to Ave for a segment to allow such connections. At full highway speed, it's not overly common to see full on intersections of that kind, it's way too dangerous.

APSMS

Quote from: Kitsune on June 14, 2017, 06:56:30 PM
could I asky why? It supports every other intersection... and could make for some fun (and oddly realstic as I've encoutered some of these) interchanges.
From what little I understand of RUL code it makes the elevated crossings (eg MIS over RHW-4) a lot more stable if the very unlikely ground level intersection is unsupported, because then it cannot default/deconvert to that setup.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

SimCity V6

Quote from: mgb204 on June 12, 2017, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: SimCity V6 on June 12, 2017, 05:39:20 PM
So with this... do I just drag the road/avenue/OWR networks through RHW FlexTrans on-slope pieces, or were you dragging the RHW-2 network through in the video? How would it work with avenues, anyhow?

Although the on-slope shows a preview with RHW-2, you use the network you want the viaduct to be, either Road, OWR or AVE (requires two on-slopes next to each other). If you drag RHW-2, I've a feeling it simply wouldn't do anything, since it's not interchangeable with the RHW variant. Likewise you can't use the RHW ones for making Road/OWR/Ave viaducts.

QuoteI'm meaning that only the ground-to-elevated ramp (not on-slope) ramps show up in the draggable road viaducts menu.

That's weird to say the least, since you should either have all or nothing. When you tab-through the options you should have 6 Starter pieces (L1 & L2 for each network), 6 Ramp pieces, then at the end 2 on-slope pieces. Note these are not separated by the network choices, since you can use the same on-slope pieces with all three.

If this doesn't help, perhaps you need to consider re-installing the NAM, since they should be there if the other parts are installed.
Oh, yes! That's right!  &idea There are on-slope pieces, but they are in the vein of the RHW FlexTrans on-slopes and only initially show the one "slope" tile that transitions the two heights until you drag through. I still wonder why the other "ramp" piece mentions an on-slope aspect, despite not showing an on-slope design and working in that way.
However, I'm here to mention a major problem with the on-slope. Dragging the network through the on-slope piece breaks the embankment and acts just as if I were to (foolishly) place a ramp piece there, with the viaduct trying to be at ground level for some time. The method has only really worked for me once with a road surrounded by two extra tiles on the side and rather flat terrain. I am still able to drag OWR/Avenue through, however one I've tested with these conditions creates the embankment problem. Contrary to what I've said, I would most likely point the problem to clicking/dragging techniques, but I am still unsure of what is the exact cause at this point in time.

mgb204

No that's working as intended. With the RHW on-slopes you can drag through them. But for the Road/OWR/Ave on-slopes you should never drag through them. As I showed in the video, drag away from the on-slope on either side with the correct network, without going through the tile containing the on-slope. Do that and it will work just fine without altering to the terrain.