• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Render stops at 9%

Started by catty, July 11, 2016, 12:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Its been quite a few years since I used GMAX and the BAT as you can see from the attached picture I'm doing a bus station, but when I go to render it gets to 9% and then stops I've tried twiddling with the settings, etc  ... which hasn't helped   ()sad()

Can someone point me to any easy to understand tutorials I had a look around and the ones I have found have been missing pictures etc so its made it very difficult to work out what I am doing wrong.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

tigerbuilder

Lock ups are usually a scale problem. Double check it...the grid changes when zooming, so it's hard to tell with your pic. Also the LODs, check them too. Huge models will crash the render even with simple models.

Whenever crazy things happen, it often works to copy/paste the model into a newly created scene, so try that if the scale is correct.

Make sure you model around the origin if you want to easily move in LE, pivot and whatnot. Or move it to origin after modeled. It's offset right now.

Trying to help, tigerbuilder

catty

Thanks tigerbuilder for stopping by ... it always helps to have a fresh pair of eyes look at something, this model probably won't ever see the light of day except in my computer as I'm just relearning the basics, my main problem is when I was learning about six years ago there was a lot more tutorials and while I can still find some of them, a few have a problem with missing pictures  :(

Something I tried last night was to use that program that the NAM install includes called the "4gb_patch" as I did wonder as GMAX is a pretty old program how much memory it was actually using, anyway the render did get to 13% before stopping again.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

mgb204

Looking at the screenshot, each square on the grid represents 16x16m is size, i.e. one SC4 tile. That would make this model about 200m in length, hence why you are having trouble. Tigerbuilder is spot on when saying the model is simply too large for gMax to render. You can try to re-scale the model, but if you are this far out, I'd start over. That's because things get messed up when re-scaling by such a large degree.

Make sure you zoom in when opening SC4BAT until the Grid is only 1x1m per square. At this point you should be able to scale the model accurately. But I don't recommend relying on the grid and visual cues to scale a model. Much better to be adjusting the size of objects manually, rather than relying on what you see to be correct.

catty

Thanks for that   :thumbsup:

I'll try shrinking it tonight and see what happens   :)

catty

Thanks tigerbuilder and mgb204

For your posts and yes size was the problem with the bus stop, I've been playing around in gMAX and SC4BAT since then with much better results.

The attached pictures isn't my model, a couple of years ago I bought a rose bush model for Banished as at the time Banished was various shades of green, since then of course Colonial Charter has taken the game to whole new levels with among other things flowering plants and shrubs so I don't need my rose bush anymore   ;D

But it turns out that as part of the purchase I got all the other model formats as well, including a gMAX compatible format, so was able to do this

()stsfd()

NCGAIO

Quote from: catty on July 11, 2016, 12:01:37 PM

Can someone point me to any easy to understand tutorials I had a look around and the ones I have found have been missing pictures etc so its made it very difficult to work out what I am doing wrong.

-catty

This remains with  images intact and already at the beginning would have the information to avoid the mistake with the size.

- BAT Tutorial1: Step by Step

catty

NCGAIO thanks for the link  :thumbsup:  I do have SC4BAT using those settings, but its been a quite a few years since I used gMAX and SC4BAT so a bit of learning curve involved.

And yes I know how big the rose bush is in-game but I wanted to see what it looked like before I had to shrink it down to a more realistic size   :)