• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Reddonquixote's Melbourne BAT Thread

Started by reddonquixote, April 05, 2015, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

Your Skills modeling are from another world !! I love it my friend  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Wow, these are just beautiful! Those details on both are just breathtaking--and somehow different from your previous work, in a good way, which I'm a bit surprised was even possible :D  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up for the beer garden. Now that I think of it, there isn't much for beer gardens in SC4. I'm also excited for 520 Collins street as those middle-sized buildings aren't as common as I wish they were, especially ones that look like this. I'll let you know if I can think of anything to add with 500 Collins street (besides aforementioned beer garden) but it already seems about perfect to me.  +1 for all this outstanding work and amazing level of detail  :thumbsup:

As for how to implement the models, it's hard to say without knowing the actual dimensions a little better. Ideally the primary lot would contain all the models arranged as you've shown them or individual lots would be aligned and overhanging in a way that would make the real layout possible. Depending on the dimensions individual lots meant for purposes other than making the RL layout could have one wall on the edge of the lot and overhang the other side. You're certainly right that these don't have an easy solution.

Finally, glad to hear you're getting a bit more time to yourself again. Tomorrow is the last day of the continuous work streak I mentioned earlier and I hope I'll be able to return to SC4 soon. Have a couple models I look forward to trying ;)

c.p.

Nice job on these.  The texturing and modelling are both great. &apls

romualdillo

Great job!! I don't know if it's true, but I think I see the office furniture through the windows!! I'm astonished!!  :o

belfastsocrates

Your work never fails to impress. The level of detail and the care you take with the buildings is a true credit and the resulting product is some of the finest BATs to grace the game.

Superb work.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

seraf

Beautiful work on those buildings, they look great  &apls

reddonquixote

Romualdillo - At first I was thinking you're imagining things, then I remembered I did indeed put office furniture inside 520 Collins.  :D Well spotted!

Noah - Good point about building sizes, I'll post all the sizes in my next update. There's still 3 more buildings to finish the block off, then I'll try and figure out a viable lot configuration. Thanks very much for my very first rep point  :thumbsup: (hope to see you back on deck soon!)

Kelis, CP, Belfastsocrates, Seraf - Thankyou!

Now for the next building on the block, this time a residential. Its the Oaks on Collins at 480 Collins Street. Oaks on Collins is a 4.5 star hotel, but I also think it has some permanent residences as well.

I'm still working on the textures for the sides of the buildings. My favourite part is the little dumpster station in the back alley, I think it came out really well  ;D

Don't worry about the little man standing in front, he's the manikin I use to help with scale, I forgot to hide him when I did the render  :D

Let me know what you think  ()stsfd()
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

belfastsocrates

Love the balcony details at the rear of the building.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

reddonquixote

Thanks Belfastsocrates  ;D

Here's a few small updates to the front of the Oaks, and I think it's finished. Time to move onto the next one.

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

romualdillo

The level of detail is stunning!! Fantastic work!!  &apls
(I thought I was getting mad, but I think you're madder)  $%Grinno$%

noahclem

I think that might actually be my all-time favorite bat. I kept looking back at the previous update, in part as a pleasant break from correcting non-native English in research papers, and just liked it more and more. And now I feel bad for not saying anything about it before the next post  :facepalm:  The back in particular is just special.

As for the K-point: Glad to fix such an apparent anomaly as 0 reps next to your name ;)  There are many deserving of reputation and we'll never be able to give credit every time it's due but it's nice to fix the most egregious disparities between rep and contributions made :D

reddonquixote

Romualdillo - :laugh: !

Noah - Thanks! :thumbsup:

Here's the next one... 470 Collins Street. Pretty bland really, the back looks more interesting.

noahclem

Bland but beautiful  &apls  Once again I think the rear of the building is the more exciting area and that loading dock area is just neat. I hate to ask, as I don't mean to bother, but does the level of detail in these renders mean you're considering an HD release? Would be amazing if so, and would radically alter what's possible to build in HD :)

c.p.

The detailing of the parking area (and the balconies of the previous building) are really spectacular :o

reddonquixote

Thanks guys  ;D

Noah: Yeah, I'm definitely going to be doing HD for my recreation so they will be included in the uploads. I'm not convinced the really tall skyscrapers will work in HD, but we'll wait and see. I really want to be able to zoom in on the streetscapes rather than the more common birds eye views.

Here's the next one, 464 Collins Street. Its a cute little building, the old Makers Mark building. It was previously a jewelery store but sadly it closed down in 2010 and this discount bookstore moved in. The BAT is pretty small though, I couldn't resist rendering a perspective shot  ;D

I hope you can let me know what you think.

art128

Looks mighty fine! Loving the front.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vester

Nice work.

Maybe add a plane under the building with a Matte/Shadow material on.
It will just catch/show the shadow.

There are some 90 degrees corner, like on the columns at the door and at the back.
They looks a bit too sharp compared with the real world.
Add an Edit Poly modifier to the object a chamfer the corners. I use 0.025 or 0.05 meters.

romualdillo

The front looks great!! Simply wonderful!!  :thumbsup:

noahclem

Looks stunning  &apls  Excellent details on the store front and I love the complexity of the roofline and walls going to the back of the building. Is this planned for a 4x1 tile lot? I'm familiar with the name but I know it better as my favorite bourbon whisky :D  Outstanding news on your HD plans  :bnn:  I'm not sure on the practicality of HD treatment for the higher towers but just can't wait to try it with these smaller and mid-rise buildings!

bombardiere

A really wonderfull old building. I like your eye for details. And uou are a master with the textures. Makes the building come live.

I am not worried about 90 corners. Some detail will be lost in SC4 render anyway, so don't think that matters in the game.

Nice that your are doing 70's office buidlings. Those are ugly as hell, but very common eyesore in most cities. The tallest glass skycrapers tends to be very city specific and more of landmarks, but plan (plainish) office buildings can be used in most modern cities.

I haven't opened your St.paul in SC4, but still again a huge thank for it.

HD is a good news for me too. It may not be for the biggest skycrapers, but I use it in my small buildings.