• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your... railroads and GLR

Started by threestooges, March 25, 2007, 05:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

I know there have been similar (yet different) topics here and elsewhere, but what can I say? I'm a fan of trains. Note: it's not necessary to show both (although you are certainly welcome to if you have them to show)
Here are some of mine:

A daily commuter route: the trains are short and realtively frequent

On one of the longer hauls: a longer train with higher speeds

In a small, but dense, coastal town

As always, comments and questions are welcomed and encouraged. Now let's see some of yours.

bwatterud

Nice threestooges.  Here are some pics from my old region. 

A sunken rail corridor (yes, I know there's a UDI icon, don't say anything %bur2$)

I think this is the only place so far that I've actually used GLR (though I'm starting a new region that will probably us it a lot).  And it comes out on the other side of a canal as an Elevated section, so it isn't really GLR at all.   ::)

BigSlark

These photos are from the rail town of Leakesville in the New Mississippi Region. This yard is situation at a junction between a major north-south and east-west line, at the foot of a high pass.

Heading south out of town you can see that the railroad and old highway wind around ridges while the freeway and HSPR go through them.

This is the south end of the Yard Limits at the junction, this is the location of the town's only freight and passenger stations

The southern end of the yard, with service tracks and maintenance depots in the foreground.

At the northern end of the yard is the round house and an industrial spur.

Stay tuned for GLR, EL-Rail, and some passenger terminals later today!

Masochist

threestooges: That GLR looks fantastic!  I love it when railroads run along side the road.  It looks like a place I wouldn't mind visiting one day!  That's also a very nicely decorated rail bridge.  Nice work!

bwatterud
: Nice sunken rails!...or is that the same line?  I like the second one, just because it looks a bit more orderly and pleasing to the eye (but that's just me).  They both look great, and it looks like you put a lot of thought into both of them.

Ahh...the railroads in my town don't get much love from me, so I don't have any specialized lines or anything...but I'll post up some pictures where the rails are at least part of the main focus:

In the middle of a high-density commerce district (facing north)-

Part of a mosaic (facing east)-

(You can see the full mosaic in the "Show Us Your Downtown" thread here).
(Under Construction)

threestooges

Great pics so far everyone. I really think that rail travel is something that is overlooked in (at least) American society. It's good to see that it is being kept alive.
-Bwatterud: nice pics. The glr shot is very nice. It's a very clean looking track.

-BigSlark: Nice railyard, but I would hate to be a bus driver trying to get across all of those rail crossings (stop, check, drive, stop, check, drive, stop... etc). It's all well done.

-Masochist: That first shot at sunset (or possibly sunrise) is great. It really gives the feel of elevated rail networks I have seen and how they weave in and amond the buildings... a very well done shot.

I hope to see more. Everyone has shown some good stuff so far.

Fred_Ginger

Quote from: threestooges on March 29, 2007, 03:05:51 PM
Great pics so far everyone. I really think that rail travel is something that is overlooked in (at least) American society. It's good to see that it is being kept alive.

You may have hear that there was a huge fire on the Southern Pacific lines last week?  I live about 6 blocks away from the fire site.  American rail is alive, I hear it's "heart" beat as they pound in the supports for the new trestles, night and day

Train Fire
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

threestooges

Wow, I can't believe I didn't hear about that. I remember driving (well, my parents were driving then) alongside those tracks. It's good to hear no one was hurt, but I hope you get some good sleep soon (my school is just up the hill from a construction site and boy do they start early with those pile drivers). Also, when I said rail travel was overlooked, I was referring to the decline in passenger travel from its heyday back before cars took over as the primary form of transportation. Freight is still a major part of American commerce. Someone in the business actually told me that most goods have been on a train for at least some part of their trip to the store (especially with the rise of intermodal trailer containers). Thanks for bringing the fire to my attention, and I hope you would be willing to show some of your pics if you happen to have some.

royal

Last post on March 29th in such a great threat.
I like your railways, especially those bridge over the river or the elevated rail.  :thumbsup:
In most of my cities you can cross the tracks by car only over bridges, cause the high usage of them. It`s too dangerous for the driver and a sim don't want to stay in a traffic jam all the time :D
But I have some railroad crossings in my cities, too. They are on suburb streets, with low traffic capacity and on streets were nobody needs a bridge, like on farmland :

I like the railroad crossing sign, it looks better than this american sign with the large gate. It isn't a TE_Lot as well, but a 21-Network-Lot :)
You see much crossing of this in western Germany, in the east the used other signs :)

Greets,
royal :)
Member of the SimForumBatTeam (SFBT)

Nardo69

Now this is a thread right for me I assume ....  ;D

From the last upadtes of my MD Urland - now back in the classic section:

Have Fun! (and don't forget to make backups!)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

PS: Hi Royal!  ;) I just downloaded the mechanic signals form the tc!

EDIT:

Fresh out of the SFBT Alphatesting:

I was dreaming of making something like this since 2004! Can you guess what I mean?

Its creator royal does know ...  ;)

/EDIT

threestooges

-royal, nice pic, and the T21 thing you are referring to looks promising. Well done.

-nardo: This seems to be a thread perfect for you; and you have not missed your mark at all. You always seem to raise the bar on rail realism in the game (and your tutorial is quite useful too), but the signal arms are a great new touch themselves. Always good to see what you come up with.

Travis

I've got one...

From a soon-to-come MD update.  :)

sebes

Man Nardo, you made me drool again over the keyboard  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

jimmymac

Here is a couple from my MD, these are taken from Bedford. Bedford is soley GLR, no other mass transit exists

Firstly a couple from the business district.

And secondly from the residential district of the same city.

Pat

WOW some real great RR/GLR's...
Stu that is just a wonderful pic of yours...
Travis and Bernhard you 2 guys are just stunning....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Great pictures of the railroads and GLR @ all! :thumbsup:

threestooges

Frankie, that rail bridge is very well done. I've seen canal pieces used for bridges, but the kand buffer you added really adds a nice look/reaism to it. The double and tripled engines look great too.

BigSlark

Frankie,

Great photos, I like what you've done. I STILL want to know what rail side mod you've invented and how do you have MU'ed locomotives? Are those plopped static trains or is there a secret that I've missed out on?

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Very nice looking pictures of your railroad, Frankie! :thumbsup:

Frankie

Quote from: BigSlark on September 02, 2007, 09:34:13 PM
Frankie,

Great photos, I like what you've done. I STILL want to know what rail side mod you've invented and how do you have MU'ed locomotives? Are those plopped static trains or is there a secret that I've missed out on?

Cheers,
Kevin

Well, I plop my railroads (you read right...plop). I don't know how to make stuff appear next to the dragged network so I just made a whole system of lots. I have lots ranging from regular rail, to signals, control boxes, everything. As for the MU'ed locos, I made one lot with the locomotives on it, and put the last engine near the end of the lot, I then made several consists so that they are interchangeable. I'm not using a rail side mod though, they are PEG's mountain theme road sections with railroad overlays. (I might just upload these...)

That outta clear things up  :thumbsup: