• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: noahclem on June 21, 2011, 01:24:52 PM
Just to through my 2 cents in on the DDRHW support columns: I think placing them on the corners of the tiles (instead of the middle) could make a lot of sense and look really nice. That way there can be one continuous column coming down from the top and networks passing under the DDRHW won't result in a missing support column.

I kind of like that idea . . . if nothing else, it sounds like a viable cosmetic mod.

And I've now finished up the RULing on the Avenue/MIS Diagonal + intersections.  Now to sneak in some T-intersections and get the OWR ones working as well.

And one day left on the version number poll . . .

-Alex

ivo_su

Bravo Alex, it seems pretty useful and I am glad that you thought of such a convenient thing. When you are ready  show more  pictures  we will not  get mad  if you  see and  know more.

Ivo

Rady

Hi, it looks like I discovered a little MIS bug:

The connection of two MIS ramps is somewhat hampered, both the graphics and the path are looking strange. Maybe caused by the exit piece beeing to close to the MIS junction? I haven't been able to verify if this is just a graphic glitch or if the traffic flow is broken, too, since so far this RHW junction is not used at all by my sims.

I rebuilt the situation without the exit piece, and there it worked:

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jondor

Quote from: Rady on June 23, 2011, 01:59:18 AM
Hi, it looks like I discovered a little MIS bug:

The connection of two MIS ramps is somewhat hampered, both the graphics and the path are looking strange. Maybe caused by the exit piece beeing to close to the MIS junction? I haven't been able to verify if this is just a graphic glitch or if the traffic flow is broken, too, since so far this RHW junction is not used at all by my sims.

[image]

I rebuilt the situation without the exit piece, and there it worked:

[image]

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

I've run into that as well.  The override there is a little unstable in the current version.  Sometimes if you click on different tiles nearby, it will draw itself correctly.  The problem lies with the underlying RHW-2 tiles, as is they don't give a stable base to hold that override, but there have been a couple ideas to fix that, which will hopefully be included in the next version.

Diagonal T-junctions (which that is) are always a little finicky.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

MandelSoft

I can confirm this bug on my end. I think this has to do with RUL2-code instability of this intersection. But it doesn't really break the intersection. Cars can 'jump' between paths if they are not too far apart (I think 3m max)...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Yeah, the RULs there are a little unstable . . . they're still a little unstable in the current development build.  They'll be getting revisited soon.

And on another note, the version number poll has concluded--thanks to everyone who cast their vote.  And with 57% supporting calling the next release Version 5.0, it appears that's what we'll be calling it! :thumbsup:

This means that the full offering of the Multi-Height RHW system will debut in what will now be known as Version 6.0, and we might have some 5.x-series releases in the meanwhile.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Will its third Secret Weapon be coming out sometime soon either?

westamastaflash

Here's a pic of the highway before it gets to the DDRHW-8 Ft. Duquesne Bridge in Pittsburgh (it actually merges two ddrhw-4's from 2 directions into one ddrhw-8 at the bridge.

Here, the support columns support both levels, and a beam runs between them at each level.

Technically I guess this highway is DDRHW-4 over Road as a road runs parallel underneath it too.

ps2owner

Can you guys make RHW-4 Combined sometime? It is in real life.

(That's highway 189 in Provo Canyon, Utah)

jdenm8

It's already combined, just drag two next to one another. A conventional two-tile RHW is impossible without replacing an existing Two-Tile network.
Work on replacing Maxis Highway with a network more like what was in the Beta (Two Lanes in each direction) using RHW-4 textures was started, but Tarkus stopped working on it.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

westamastaflash

I think ps2owner meant on one tile?

I did a bit of research and it's thoretically OK according to US highway standards.

3.05m x 2 outside shoulders = 6.10 m
3.66m x 4 lanes = 14.64 m
1.22m x 2 inside shoulders = 2.44 m

Total of 23.18m. With the shoulders "overhanging" the standard tile a bit, could a 1-tile 4-lane Rhw be done?

io_bg

Since one SC4 tile is 16 metres, quite a big overhanging part would be needed for a 23 metre wide highway ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ivo_su

Quote from: ivo_su on June 13, 2011, 04:43:40 PM
Were you able  to get the job done  with the creation of paths and are entering Phase I testing of networks pieces splitters, etc.
I know that making paths is a tedious and labor-intensive processes and perhaps work on the RUL. We'll all be happy if you left that stage behind your backs.

God save NAM
Ivo
? ? ? ? ?

I never got a response to this question  ....  :( &cry2 :(
And if it is not too presumptuous, I would like to know what happens to a secret weapon 3. Alex had said that developing such a thing.

Ivo

westamastaflash

Quote from: io_bg on June 24, 2011, 02:18:51 PM
Since one SC4 tile is 16 metres, quite a big overhanging part would be needed for a 23 metre wide highway ;)

3.5 meters on each side? That's only 1/5 of a tile on each side.

MandelSoft

I believe the RHW-6S has an overhang of 4 or 5 meters on one side!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

The current overhang on the V5-Spec RHW-6S is 4.5m (14.76 feet). 

Looking over that actual stretch of US-189 through Provo Canyon, however, that basically just looks to me like an RHW-4 with guardrails down the middle of it.  The width of it is consistent with that.  That's more like a T21 job (which kind of already exists with Xyloxadoria's mod) rather than inventing a whole new network.

Quote from: ivo_su on June 24, 2011, 02:24:44 PM
Were you able  to get the job done  with the creation of paths and are entering Phase I testing of networks pieces splitters, etc.
I know that making paths is a tedious and labor-intensive processes and perhaps work on the RUL. We'll all be happy if you left that stage behind your backs.
. . .
I never got a response to this question  ....  :( &cry2 :(
And if it is not too presumptuous, I would like to know what happens to a secret weapon 3. Alex had said that developing such a thing.

Pathing on the RHW side has actually been going okay . . . I've gotten most of the items that needed to be re-pathed to fit with the new textures done and have fixed up some of the overpasses that still had dummy paths on them.  The Wider RHW diagonals are basically the only major item still in need of paths.

As far as Secret Weapon #3 goes, I've been holding off on showing it to keep folks from getting too antsy about the release.  I've had experience with that during the RHW Version 3.0 days that I'd rather not relive. ::)  (The thread actually had to be locked for about 2 days then.) 

-Alex

j-dub

I don't even know if that mod works anymore, because of the version changes over time. Previously, I used it when it first debuted, but I can not remember what possessed me away from it. Aside from that, I think the picture only demonstrates a different texture shade, which I personally think is only the result of interference, those are clearly yellow lines in the middle, but that picture seems faded, not to mention the shoulder width difference.

Ramona Brie

So it will likely be released along with the official RHW5?

P.S. Tarkus, I have something a little special for you I'm sending via PM here. I think you'll like it.

jdenm8

Quote from: j-dub on June 24, 2011, 03:50:45 PM
I don't even know if that mod works anymore, because of the version changes over time. Previously, I used it when it first debuted, but I can not remember what possessed me away from it. Aside from that, I think the picture only demonstrates a different texture shade, which I personally think is only the result of interference, those are clearly yellow lines in the middle, but that picture seems faded, not to mention the shoulder width difference.

Xylo's mod still works fine, I use it myself, though I've noticed that the vast majority of users have it installed wrong, evident by barrier, then light, then barrier along RHWs.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley