• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

Bipin

I really like what you've done with the concrete textures, I think they'll look great,a s overpasses are often concrete. My only suggestions would be to make the concrete texture more like a brushed texture, one such as this: http://grungetextures.com/sample/226/brushed-concrete-pattern.jpg. As well, contrast markings are usually (well, where I am anyways) painted after the white line, not beside like they are with the yellow lines: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/06jul/images/morena10.jpg. Great work so far!

Gugu3

Is there a possibility of seeing 45 degrees elevated mis curves? :Da piece like that would be useful with increased diagonal stability thanks to p57...

Blue Lightning

We'll get there eventually, hang tight. FLEXFly items take a lot of work and code ;)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

drjumbajookiba

Live Out loud For God

GDO29Anagram

A note to anyone (excluding NAM Team Members) making texture packs for the RHW: Please refrain from doing so until AFTER the release of NAM 31. Whatever you make now will NOT work for NAM 31.

The change of IIDs (hence the name P57; RHW's moving from 0x5b######-something to 0x57######) means that any texture packs made up until NAM 31's release will only work for RHW's Legacy Support. In other words, continue and you'll have to do your texture pack twice.

Plus, we're adding new stuff. How will you know what to texture?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

wschmrdr

Quote from: riiga on June 29, 2012, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: jondor on June 28, 2012, 09:09:27 PM
@riiga:  In order to get RHW-4 paths on a TE lot (or any other override network paths for that matter), you have to specify the path file IID (which has to have a GID of A966883F) in the 16th rep of the LotConfigPropertyLotObject line.  Making a copy of the RHW-4 filler piece path file IID: 0x5eb4b105 and rotating them if necessary is probably the best option. (And obviously giving the copy a new IID.)
Thank you!

The RHW-4 Toll Booth is now released on the STEX. Download it here!
(It has American textures as well, thanks to Blue Lightning)

Do the sims ever take the "TAG" lane in this, or do they always go over to the pay area?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: wschmrdr on July 07, 2012, 04:15:36 PM
Do the sims ever take the "TAG" lane in this, or do they always go over to the pay area?

At best, it's completely random.

All automata is is just merely a visual representation of the actual traffic; They're not the actual traffic. Additionally, there's no way to differentiate between carpooling cars or tagged cars; To the game, cars are just cars.
<INACTIVE>
-----

SC4creator

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 07, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

At best, it's completely random.

All automata is is just merely a visual representation of the actual traffic; They're not the actual traffic. Additionally, there's no way to differentiate between carpooling cars or tagged cars; To the game, cars are just cars.

Is there a way to fix this so that the automa work or is it hardcoded

Tarkus

There is no way to fix it.  It's beyond our control, as are most of the things people complain about with respect to automata behavior.  The automata are simply visual effects, and at their core, they act like total dummies.

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on July 07, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
The automata are simply visual effects, and at their core, they act like total dummies.
-Alex

Well the automata is realistic in one aspect though, they often pop up out of nowhere whenever you are in a hurry just like the dummies who do 10mph below the speed limit on highways in real life  :)

wschmrdr

Quote from: Tarkus on July 07, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
There is no way to fix it.  It's beyond our control, as are most of the things people complain about with respect to automata behavior.  The automata are simply visual effects, and at their core, they act like total dummies.

-Alex

Automata behaviour is understandable, but given it looks like a wider zot (emphasis upon the word looks, as I remember you reporting that the 6S RHW behaves like a 4), do the sims utilise all four zots, or just the inner two?  I have some traffic worries, even on a RHW.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: wschmrdr on July 08, 2012, 05:09:16 AM
Automata behaviour is understandable, but given it looks like a wider zot (emphasis upon the word looks, as I remember you reporting that the 6S RHW behaves like a 4), do the sims utilise all four zots, or just the inner two?  I have some traffic worries, even on a RHW.

Used to be that the RHW-6S had the same capacity as the RHW-4, and at one point, it took twice as much space. This was all before the development of DIPs (Tricks certain non-crossover pathed networks into having increased capacity) and overhangs (Makes it so a network can extend beyond its allotted tile).

Starting with NAM 29 (or was it 28?), the development of DIPs (Distilled Intersection Paths) was introduced to allow RHW-6S, ARD-3, and RD-6 (and others) to have a 25% capacity boost, but it only works with a specific traffic simulator, the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator.

Might you have an outdated simulator?
<INACTIVE>
-----

riiga

The pathing is the same as a straight stretch of RHW-4, so cars will pass in the tag-lane and the innermost standard toll lane.

Twyla

Was playing around with interchanges and had a bit of an epiphany.... a (relatively) simple way to massively expand RHW versatility/functionality (at least in regards to interchanges) with (seemingly) minimal effort.

Only four pieces are required:
~ L1 and L3 EMIS FlexFly Curves (derived from current L2 version)
~ L0-L1 EMIS On/Off Transitions (similar to current L2 versions)

The inherent beauty of this approach is how much it adds to RHW without deviating from the L0(RHW)/L2(ERHW) standard for mainline routes - or resorting to L4.  Sadly, I'm unsure how to address the odd tile required for the C networks, but it should be fully compatible with all the S and MIS networks.

GDO29Anagram

:-[ :-[ :-[

I'm already lost...

Well,... How would Height Transitions and FlexCurves by themselves increase interchange versatility when one takes a lot of RUL-2 stuff (and copypasta) to even make?

The L0-L2/L2-L0 Height Transitions were remniscent of the time when 15m was the standard for elevated. A 15-meter rise over a 64-meter run ain't too realistic, and if anything, the L0-L3/L3-L0 transitions are even smoother.

Something worth pointing out: Have you ever tried to drag the 6C median (just the median) through the FlexFly anchor? (If that isn't doable, it may become so later on; Been so immersed in P57 stuff that I don't know what the public releases even have anymore...)
<INACTIVE>
-----

chosenreject

I have a question. Are L0 flex curves possible? kind of like flexfly only on the ground and a straight elevated network and be dragged over the top instead of under. I think that those would be pretty useful.

Twyla

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 08, 2012, 05:50:12 PM
:-[ :-[ :-[

I'm already lost...

Well,... How would Height Transitions and FlexCurves by themselves increase interchange versatility when one takes a lot of RUL-2 stuff (and copypasta) to even make?

A traditional Stack Interchange has the carriageways at L0 and L1 while the flyovers are at L2 and L3.  By making L1 and L3 variants of the L2 FlexFly, the same can be accomplished with the current L0/L2 carriageways - postponing/eliminating the need for L1 carriageways in constructing more complex interchanges.  (Scratch that - it'd take 6x6 FlexFly pieces to do the Stack.)

Although the 4x4 dimensions of FlexFly would limit Full Stack Interchanges to 4S/6S, the same pieces can also be used to make more space-efficient (though still realistic) Turbine/Whirlpool, T-Bone, and Windmill 4-way (and 3-way) interchanges.  Given the creativity of some of the interchanges posted in these forums, they could also enable 8-way interchanges which don't require an entire Large City to pull off.

GDO29Anagram

Yeah, about that,...

Much wider Flyovers were proposed because of that, hence the 45-deg versions, thereby bringing just about every width into play.

Though, personally, the 4-Stack ain't the first thing that comes to mind when I wanna interchange two RHWs... The development of the MHS and the FRS is intended to open up even more interchange possibilities, and it ain't limited to just the 4-level stack.

And yes, there are L0 FlexCurves in development.
<INACTIVE>
-----

jondor

The plan is for the next release to contain at least all five L0-L4 90 deg MIS FLEXFly/Curves.  The models are mostly done, the L0 RULs just need a little more work before I can port them to the other four heights, and they will be as stable and complete as the rest of P57.

I also developed a well ordered IID scheme for them that with just a little tweaking can also be applied to the 45 degree curves, making RUL migration for them (almost) a copy-paste-find-replace job.

I'm sort of bouncing between three separate, but related, P57 sub-projects which complicates development a bit, but they're all necessary to make the whole project mesh together nicely.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.