• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Did I hear the word "beta"?

Quote from: dedgrenThis will pretty much keep me tied up through the end of the week, but there's a beta coming along really soon as a result.

Looking forward to it.  ;D

And that 3RREX is a good idea. Too bad I already have everything on it!  :D

EDIT:  ...and rang the "Double-0" bell to boot, dtp! -DE

OP EDIT: Oh! Didn't even notice that! Welcome to page 231. -DTP
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

ben_meissner

Well, well

I've been away from the internet for a few days as I moved, and apparently missed a lot. The new 3RREX is a great idea. Can't wait to see what shows up there.

The FARR curves look fantastic. I see hours days weeks of re-drawing roads in rural areas in the hopefully-not-too-distant future. Perhaps a new region is necessary.

As always, keep up the great work

Ben

metarvo

I'm positive that I will grow to appreciate the 3RREX, David.  I was late to catch on to 3RR, but I did finally catch up.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dedgren

Obviously not having enough to do, Alex (Tarkus) and I are tossing another wide curve into the upcoming release.

It's 2x2 for those tight places.  Look for it on a monitor near you soon.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

jplumbley

Quote from: dedgren on September 03, 2008, 08:31:01 PM
Obviously not having enough to do, Alex (Tarkus) and I are tossing another wide curve into the upcoming release.

It's 2x2 for those tight places.  Look for it on a monitor near you soon.

Later.

David

Sorry to bug you David... May I ask if the bottom left corner is occupied at all?  Or can it be left blank for zoning?  If it can be then you may not need to make this a puzzle piece and it can be made a default texture while dragging the network.

EDITJason, it bugs me when I don't hear from you.  It sounds like Alex (Tarkus) is on this- yes, the lower-left hand corner is open, so it might be feasible to make it draggable (from what I understand, which isn't much).  Wouldn't hurt my feelings. -DE
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Pat

David just nuts that is all I got to say!!!  Just simply put NUTs lol..... Hey a congrats to you DTP for ringing the bell!!

NB:

OI blah that man down below is talking theory ooh no, well that should be rather intresting none the less to see it played out there Alex lol.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

Quote from: jplumbley on September 03, 2008, 08:43:29 PM
Sorry to bug you David... May I ask if the bottom left corner is occupied at all?  Or can it be left blank for zoning?  If it can be then you may not need to make this a puzzle piece and it can be made a default texture while dragging the network.

Well, actually, having looked over the dimensions, it'd only require a couple of RULs to change it into the default draggable Orth-Diag transition, to add the third "2-2" texture in, at least in theory.

-Alex

dedgren

Here's a look at the ongoing retexturing effort.  This is the wide radius 45 degree rail curve.

These are taking 3-4 hours apiece as I get to the larger puzzle pieces (there's usually some T&E at the end).  Happy to do it, though- there's an end in sight.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

Just as you have noted your thoughts on the BAT link, I should say that the same goes for me and texturing. One of these days I'll have to look into it, but I'm always amazed at what you do. I don't have the foggiest idea of how textures get where they need to outside of directly attaching them in the BAT. Great work though. There does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel and... I'm tempted to say it's... wait for it... a train (in a good way).

dedgren

Make that six hours plus.  An hour of that, though, was because I forgot the "darken" step when I could have applied it all at once.

Anyway, the 45 degree wide rail curve that you last saw in PSP the post before last...

...heh!  I've finally tired you folks out...

...is ready for prime time.  For those of you who have been using this curve as part of the NAM since December, 2006- fire up your game- take a look, then compare what you see with the following pics.  The curve has the exact same footprint, but has been completely rebuilt.  Sorry it took over a year and a half.

Here's a close-up.  There's a transition between "game" track and the NAM curve- can you find it?

Awww, we're sounding cocky- that's not right.  This stuff can never be perfect- the game textures would need to be completely redone in order for that to happen- but this is beyond anything I ever had any expectation of.

Tonight it's the 90 degree curve and the "long" FARR transition curve.  It's going to be a long one- that's my guess.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

girlfromverona

Quote from: dedgren on September 04, 2008, 04:02:51 PM
Sorry it took over a year and a half.

It was SOOOOO worth the wait.
You deserve a medal, David! And you totally have a right to sound cocky! This is amazing stuff.  &apls

Andreas

Quote from: dedgren on September 04, 2008, 04:02:51 PM
Here's a close-up.  There's a transition between "game" track and the NAM curve- can you find it?

Found it! ;) But if it's not 100% perfect, it's surely 99.9%. Excellent work, David, this is an awesome improvement of what we have now indeed. I started to use the good old NAM curve pretty late, also doe to the texture/brightness shift (esp. when it comes to my rail texture mod), but these days should be over finally. :)
Andreas

threestooges

There are some small lines that (I think) I can see that suggest the edge of the piece/its existence (similar to placing GLR/AVE on a slope), but that is from actively looking for them following your challenge. Aside from that, they look outstanding and are well worth the wait. I need to finish up some projects so I can start playing the game again... especially with these things approaching beta. I know the perfect test zone when you get to that point. Excellent, excellent work.
-Matt

Shadow Assassin

Found it too. :P

From the further zooms, though, I can see a white line on the edge of the tracks in the centre... that probably is because of the background that you use - make sure the background is at least a very neutral colour that isn't light. Otherwise you'll notice it and it'll really stick out. :P

But hey, other than that, it looks just about perfect!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

Looks good. A nice smooth transistion between the curve and the Maxis rails  :thumbsup:

EDIT: V I see that it works! V
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

dedgren

A last pair of pics of the 45 degree curves "in use."

Wheesh!  That "game" locomotive is bad!

...have you ever noticed that train automata cast no shadows?  I just did..

I'll be working on the FARR "long" curve today- look for results tonight.  Here's a pic of one of the steps.

And another.

And one last.

That's three hours progress starting from the former textures.  Tonight I'll come back and plug all the retextures into the .dat file and we'll take a look.  Off to work.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Shadow Assassin

Brilliant - everything looks great! I'm looking forward to trying your texture update...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

superhands

bat

That looks fantastic, David!
Great work! :thumbsup:

dsrwhat316

Simply amazing! I agree; the in-game trains are hideous compared to all the train skins available now. You're just a big tease, ya know?  :'(

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)