• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

date: July 8th.. yet again a HDD failure. BUT new and far stronger computer now! + something new

hi there foks :)

I updated this first page because i tought it was outdated and needed a little change ;)
(will now be updated on a weekly base)

as you already quessed im constructing powerlines for simcity
mostely european styled(since metarvo is busy with american themed ones)

i already made a small list for some countries im constructing powerlines for
but this is not the complete list (i may add more countries later).

why am i doing all this?
well.. im a huge powerline fan.. they inspire me because of ther size and construction.

i allways disliked the default maxis one they are so unrealistic without deviation(corner)pylons and pylons2substations.
but thats not all i also disliked that you could only choose one type of pylon.
i mean look at RL ther are several pylon types wich includes diffrent voltages and circuits etc.
so  i though i make a change to that!
and that all started when is saw metarvo's work wich was a big reason for me to try it my self.

im pretty amazed how far i am now allready it gives me a promising feeling for the future
but i also have a pretty busy real life as i am following a music related coarse wich is really time consuming.

but i will work on it anyhow i allways have the sundays to work on it :)

enjoy your stay!
Buzzit

-------------------------------------------------
To do list
-------------------------------------------------
currently beeing modeld:

WES100 Rural Windturbine.

- Non active
- Animated

european pylons:

1st pylon set completed:

specifications
country wich this pylon type is used in: France
type: double wired double circuit donau pylon
voltage:  380KV(or 380,000 volts)
Height: 48 meters
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25198

2nd pylon set completed:

specifications:
country wich this pylon type is used in: France, Belgium(french part and german part), Luxembourg and Spain
type: single circuit delta-like pylons
voltage: 20kV(or 20,000 volts)
height: 13 meters
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25321
<< obsolete! check out my 6th improved set!

3rd set completed:

specifications:
country wich this pylon type is used in: the Netherlands
type: single wired double circuit donau Pylon
Height: +/- 30 meters
Voltage: 150KV (or 150,000 volts)
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25243

4th set completed:

specifications:
country wich this pylon type is used in: This type is seen in almost every country except for The Netherlands Belgium Germany and the UK(in terms of wide use)
type: multi wired single circuit delta type pylon
Height: 42 meters
Voltage: 400kV (or 400,000 volts)
link: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25576

5th set:
country wich this pylon type is used in: Germany
type: Double wired double-circuit single-level pylon.
Height: 32 RL (64 sim meters )meters
Voltage: 220kV (or 220,000 volts)
link: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26735-german-themed-220kv-high-voltage-pylons-hd

6th set:
Country wich this set is used in: Various west european countries.
Type : multiple single circuit configurations are in this set.
Height: 12 RL (24 in simcity meters)
Voltage: 20kV (or 20.000 volts)
link: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27551-french-20kv-medium-voltage-poles-hd-20-overhauled-and-wireless/

7th set:
Country wich this set is used in: Pretty much any country has a monopole/tubular pole variant. These are based on Dutch ones though.
Type : Double circuit in a barrel configuration.
Height: ~25/30 meters in real life. (~50  in simcity meters)
Voltage: 20kV (or 20.000 volts)
Link:http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29312-150kv-tubular-pole-set/

-special packs and sets underconstruction:
- powerlines 'underconstruction'(jup actual eye-candy with pylons being constructed)
- substations

otherplans and ideas:
river crossings
portalpylons (pylons that are attached to roads etc)
substations:
normal substations in diffrent sizes

a make your own substation pack
this pack will contain diffrent pieces so that you can construct your own substation!
in any size you want and any form you want.
this pack will also contain additional substationpylons for every type i will model

and thats it for now
it will take months to model this all maybe even years but i will work on it! even if i have to work slowly to complete this

metarvo

It's good to see that you have started a BAT thread, Buzzit.  It looks like you're stepping up to a higher voltage with this last pylon, which looks good.  The inclusion of diagonal and deviation pylons also seems like a good idea, since it breaks the grid a little. 

As far as the time taken is concerned, don't worry about it.  It's not unusual for BATters or anyone else who contributes to SC4 to become busy because of RL constraints.  For instance, I've been too busy to BAT as of late.  BATting doesn't always happen overnight, either.  I should know, because it took me over a year to beat my first BAT into shape.

Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Buzzit

hehe it took me alot of time for this baby but i like it really much
is a pretty common one in france:

its a single circuit 110/220 kv delta pylon

its not exacly the same but im glad with it  aspecially because its my second try on a high voltage pylon  :)

MandelSoft

Looking good, Buzzit! Can you make some German ones too? Those hightension lines have a quite basic shape and are looking pretty good. But maybe you want to finish the french set first  ;)

Oh, and another suggestion: add some concrete blocks at the 'feet' of your model. A solid base for these things is essential  ;D
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 10, 2010, 07:08:55 AM
Looking good, Buzzit! Can you make some German ones too? Those hightension lines have a quite basic shape and are looking pretty good. But maybe you want to finish the french set first  ;)

Oh, and another suggestion: add some concrete blocks at the 'feet' of your model. A solid base for these things is essential  ;D

haha thanks :)!
yeh i love german ones they look simple but great indeed! i will try it sometime but as you already said i first want to complete the french pylon pack!

here's a shot ingame:

now with concrete feet!

MandelSoft

Buzzit

And offcourse for every supsension pylon we've got a deviation variant
BEHOLD:

as you can see the pylons differ slightly in structure but i don't think thats a big point my self lol

To curve the wires was a pain in the ass with the cilinders if theres a better way to do it please tell!

Girafe

I really like your work definitively especially because it's french stuff and you beginning with BAT is really good  ;)

hope to see a very good french pack soon in the LEX   ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Buzzit

Quote from: Girafe on August 10, 2010, 01:44:58 PM
I really like your work definitively especially because it's french stuff and you beginning with BAT is really good  ;)

hope to see a very good french pack soon in the LEX   ;)

haha if everything is going according plan it will!
and hopefully even more european packs!
but i think the Highvoltage ones need to be wired
and im planning to make and end pylon with the big ones just like the i did with the medium voltage ones
and it does exist i only gonna use my models for all of them(and i will make substations when im skilled enough)
also i want these end pylons(even the medium ones) serve as mini powerplants so you wont need any big power plants for every map anymore

i also need to figure out to putt this al into the power branch

anyway:

need to change the deviation pylon so it can corner to the left aswell

metarvo

The French delta pylon you have made is actually starting to resemble something that I have seen occasionally in the States.  ;D  As for the wires, I'm going to have to agree.  They really do add a lot of detail to the sets, in spite of problems that they can cause on slopes.  Another issue to watch out for is wirespan length.  If you want the wired poles to transmit power, then I recommend for the spans to be no more than 4 tiles between poles for the orthogonals, and 3 tiles between poles for the diagonals.  You can make the wirespans longer if you want, but you'll lose the power transmission capability unless zones or lots are placed to fill the gaps.  Of course, you'll probably want to include more than one length choice for those occasions in which a road or other obstacle is where a pylon would go to continue the connection.  To tell you the truth, I thought about doing my 345 kV set without wires at one time, but I instead built a set with wires and one without them that could be used alone or in combination with the others to fill gaps.  This seemed to be the most suitable compromise, even if it did sharply increase the amount of lots in my set.

PIM-X can be used to create a Power Eye Candy lot for those non-power-producing pylons that you want in the Power menu.  If you really want the end pylons to produce power, then you can use PIM-X to make a custom power plant lot of your choice.

Keep up the good work, Buzzit!  :thumbsup:
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

Buzzit

well im wireing them as i speak i don't know how this is gonna en so i am quiet curious about the result

anyways i though it was a good idea to only make the substations/pylons carry power so accually sorta stimulates that the others carry power aswell

Buzzit

a little update

its based on a RL type of pylon but i also used my imagination abit for this subpylon what do you people think?

Buzzit

i also made a new type

on metarvo's bat topic some french poster posted 2 pictures as a request.
i already made one of them(i don't know if im gonna make the other pylon aswell since mrtnrln  already made it but maybe i still want to give it a try aswell lol)
anyways:

here's the result
a  110 kv(think so) double circuit tower

Buzzit

ok so i desided first to make every type of pylon i want and after that i will try wiring them cuz thats imo a more productive way to bat

in total the high voltage pack will contain up to 6(maybe 7) types of pylons ranging from -110kv till 380 kv

i also will drop the medium voltage pylons up to 3 types of supspension pylons 2 types of deviation pylons and 1 type of subpylon(cuz it would be to much work to wire them all and it would also make the electrical menu way to big with everything(if you think diffrent aobut it and you still want all the pylons then say it!! then i will keep this amount)
the plan is to give all the subpylon diffrent power ratings for a more realistic way of delivering power.

i will post a new picture when i done all the pylons i wanted :)

Buzzit

so im finally done with all the supspension pylons for the upcomming french pack

behold!:

i dont think these are the actual in game sizes but i think(i hope) there pretty near a realistic high

im not done yet! i still need to polish some of the models but here's a clear view of how they look like ^^

metarvo

Wow, it looks like you're getting into higher and higher voltages here.  Again, I can see some resemblances between these pylons and those in the U.S., even though yours are French.  In particular, the one on the left reminds me of a double-circuit 345 kV pole type that is sometimes used in my area, particularly for older lines.

MandelSoft

Well, for your 380kV pylon I think you should use six identical insulators, because I've never seen a V-shape insulator for these power pylons before.

Sciurus

Waow, wonderful!! &apls And there are french?! I take! $%Grinno$%

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Buzzit

@mrtnrln
really?
thats odd i though they were more common with V shaped Insulators  haha
here's a picture of it:
http://www.gorge.org/pylons/france/DSCF0007.JPG
though the ones without the v shapes were more rare lol
anyways i hope you don't mind it that i made the model aswell. allthough it doesnt even come near as good as yours, i wasn't sure about you releasing yours so i made one in case you didnt. if you still planning to release then i will scrap that one and find another pylon to model :)

@Sciurus
thanks that you like them!
jup everything what you see now is french on this page for some reason those inspire me the most!
it will take some time i think but they certainly will be released! :)

Fresh Prince of SC4D

&apls Wow Buzzit,

I'm glad to see such advancement for the energy infrastructure of the game. My only negative feedback that I can think of is the width of the steel of the lattice towers. Is that realistic proportions of the towers? Are they that thick ?   ()what()
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....