• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Some American Football fields

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 28, 2007, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimNation

Personally im loving your football fields is about damn time someone made some american football fields...I have more soccor fields then I know what to do with. However I have a suggestion since im really liking all of ur fields and dont wish to see any of them go the way of the dinosaur. Since your making all of them the same size(the actual inzone field) might I suggest you make the Tracks and  bleachers one lot with nothing in the middle and make the actual field modular? You know...you can use wheaver field you want for whatever track/bleacher set...in other words make the actual field just plops but the bleachers and the Track field be the park. That way you can make as many in-fields as you want and you could even make them for different sports as well. They do change the paint on the fields for different sports anyway. I'll even pitch in and make mmls for each of ur fields if you want that way you can have as many different fields as you want inside the lot

Pat

Chris you are simply amazing at the stadiums side of things wow!!!   &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Chrisadams3997

Thanks Robin, it's good to see you in here :)

And you too Pat :thumbsup:, came up while I was typing.

SimNation:  hmm, that one's a toughie.  You're suggesting making the field ploppable 'flora' if I read that correctly, but I see a couple of problems with it.  first off, ploppables randomly rotate, so half the time when you're trying to place a field in the middle of the track lot, it will be turned the wrong way and you'll have to destroy the lot and start over, which is just a hassle and isn't something I would consider to meet the standards for an uploaded lot, as it has to be easy to use for everyone.  Also in that vein, exact control over placement of flora isn't exactly exact, if you get my drift, which means you could accidentally place it off center, resulting in having to destroy the lot and start over.  I think it would take some practice to really the hang of that, and I want people to just be able to select the lot and place it.

Also, a lot of track and fields have the infield grass very much like the field grass, and at any rate different from the surrounding area, which is something I'd like to capture with some of the fields, and would be impossible with this system.  While it's an interesting idea, I just think the it would be sloppy and difficult to work in actual game play.

I am making extensive use of prop families so that lots have a variety of fields, and to keep the number of lots down, while travis is making more individualized lots for them.  Of course at present the fields and tracks are all 'stuck together' you might say, though there hasn't been any extreme changes in how I approach the track and field layout thus far, so it's all just minor cosmetics.  What could be done is to have the track as one prop, with the field part empty, then a separate field prop family placed so different fields could appear with different tracks, but that gives little input from the user on what combination shows up.  I also don't want too much diversity within any lot, because it makes it very hard to get a specific combination if wanted by the user.  The only method to do that is to place the lot and bulldoze it until you get what you want(or go into lot editor and make your own lot with the props you want ;)), and thus I'm trying to keep the number of jmajor possibilities on any lot to 12 or less.

Well, that got long winded in a big hurry, last thing I wanted to show here was a comparison of the fields so far side by side.  They're all still 'rough drafts' in that minor changes to aspects of hue, saturation, and lightness could occur, but nothing major

Here's a comparison between the present fields(all in rough draft stage, slight changes to aspects of hue, saturation, and lightness could change, but not much)

Now I think I've got to go look at some Plaza Mall textures before Filasimo pulls the lash out on me.

Andreas

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on October 02, 2007, 10:26:56 AM
I particularly like this one.

Well, as long as it doesn't look like this one...  ;D

Andreas

rooker1

:D   ???  That's very funny.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Chrisadams3997

lol, I'm just sincerely hoping that was someone's practical joke. :D

SimNation

This is what I meant...have the item marked as field in the picture be interchangeable. That way each one can have multiple ones inside them.By putting them in the actual park menu as well that way they can be MML'd And ppl could make some custom ones with there favorite teams on them if they wanted to. Or put there hs name on it or something. Either way ima do that with urs when you release them if im able to lol depends on if ur props for it gonna be one big one or different ones on one lot.

Chrisadams3997

Bleachers could be placed on a separate lot so that they could be placed interchangeably.  Since the field sits inside of the track, even if I rendered tracks with no field in the middle, the only way to place a different field in the middle would be in lot editor since you couldn't place a lot with the field directly in the middle of a lot for the track.

Kitsune

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on October 02, 2007, 02:42:11 PM
Bleachers could be placed on a separate lot so that they could be placed interchangeably.  Since the field sits inside of the track, even if I rendered tracks with no field in the middle, the only way to place a different field in the middle would be in lot editor since you couldn't place a lot with the field directly in the middle of a lot for the track.

But what about the way the roundabouts are done with the middle tiles being destructible to place a park or something? Couldn't an approach similar to that be used to change the fields?
~ NAM Team Member

skyliner

yea its a dirt track impossible to practice sprinting on those! Hey thats pretty good looks just like our football field! I was wondering are one of the other ones astro turf?

DFire870

Kitsune, I think roundabouts are an exception because they're transit networks. The only real way to do what was suggested would be to have the field be offset from the actual lot itself.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Pat Riot

OMGZ lik it wud b so coool if u culd mak da trak transit enabled  ;D

jk, i had to join in. bombarding you with ideas looked way too fun  :P

Chrisadams3997

Kitsune:  Like Dfire pointed out, that's only for transit lots to my knowledge, and I'm really not convinced getting into such complicated schemes is necessary as these sets will have plenty of diversity as is compared to anything presently available.

Skyliner:  All four of those from this new set are natural grass, though pretty much any of them from my previous set that's pretty well completed(at least on the bat side of things) could be well representative of an astroturf field.  I'll definitely be working out a dirt track texture to set around a couple of these.

Dfire:  Thanks for pointing those things out.  I'd also realized you could offset the fields, though I'm not really entertaining the idea.  That's a lot more renders... and like I said, just don't see it being necessry, or practical since all of these fields will have rendered infields, getting it all to line up properly would be a nightmare.

Pat Riot: lol, now now, let's be nice...

Pat Riot

NO!  :angrymore: your not the boss of me ;D...hehe.... any updates? im intrigued  :o (possibly the biggest vocab word ive ever used online, but also I probably used it wrong  :P)

Chrisadams3997

Nope, been doing some textures for Filasimo's lot for Heblem's Plaza Mall.  I should get around to working on the tracks for the new fields tomorrow.

Chrisadams3997

Here's an early test render on a field and track for Pat Riot's field.  I've really just started working on the textures for it, but I wanted to see how what I'd done so far would look in game compared to the other fields.

thundercrack83

Wow, I like that weathered track and the dying grass on the football field! That looks fantastic!

Chrisadams3997

Thanks, right now most of the infield is still just overlays from satelite images, so I'm still adding in details where things are a little 'fuzzy'.

Filasimo

woah chris the 2nd version on the right looks pretty sick man!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Chrisadams3997

Here's what will probably be the final(or very close to it) texture for this one.

(The top is pretty much the same, didn't think you really needed to see it :))

Edit: And an early preview of one of XiaHouDun's fields.  Still a lot to do here.