• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

the7train: Wow, that looks complicated. I really like the third and last images. I would love to see more closeups once you get some eyecandy in there.

Here's something I've been working on, a terminus of a RHW with an elevated rail junction above it. Again this is complicated and is not quite finished.

the7train

Thanks guys for the comments!  My favorite part of this game by far are transit networks, particularly the NAM and RHW so I tend to get overly caught up in it before actually having many sims to use them  :P   I also use the medium capacity level so it doesn't take as much to fill them up, making the Express lanes actually useful.  Right now I think I have about 30k sims going from the residential city to the main one on the collector express RHW, with another 10-15k using local roads.  I still need to fill in the downtown of the main city, just haven't had much time. 

Hadrean2

I'm relatively new to the RHW, as I've only started using it when 4.0 came out, so this is more of a whacky experiment (although I plan on keeping it)

edit: Sorry about the grid

Pat

Looking real great here everyone!!!

@ Hal that is some work there with the El Rail and with the RHW..

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

k808j

We  ()borg() couldn't think of a better way to connect the ERHW-4's so we came up with this

Any suggestions would be helpful

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Haljackey

Nice job k808j. That's a good way to hook up RHWs for partial connections.

Some new stuff from me:

Fished work on the RHW terminus with the el-rail junction overtop. What do you think?

Here is the view zoomed out:

Beautification of a RHW with a GLR line in the middle. The station seen here has since been removed as I realized pedestrian access has been cut off as part of the reconstruction.  ::)

Another reconstructed cooridor on the same RHW. Distributor lanes redirect interchanging traffic from the mainline.

Here's a road that was recently upgraded to an expressway. As part of the upgrade, slip lanes from the TuLEP were added.

A new BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) / HOV road. Since I had a lot of right of way, I decided to add some ramps. Looks pretty nifty eh?

Interesting setup I got when making an exit from an exit. Didn't know that was possible until I built it.

More TuLEP action. I think the lane markings is a bit excessive here. May plop some open spaces, especially for the 3-way junction.
-I always leave a 1 tile gap for RHW cosmetic markings.)

Working on a RHW/Maxis highway junction. I might just make the whole thing RHW and convert it to the ground highway to the east.

That's it! Hope you enjoyed them.

darraghf

I'm very impressed with the last picture, Hal. There's an interchange just like that in Dublin, except a lot more efficient on space. Still, it looks impressive though. Well done. That's why I miss The Greater Terran Region. *hint, hint*  :P
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

GDO29Anagram

It's been a while since I last posted something here... So,...

First of all,... (Look at the bottom of Haljackey's picture...)

Quote from: Haljackey on July 16, 2010, 10:56:59 PM

A WORM?!! AAAHHH!!! (Falls over and faints) &dd

Hal, you never fail to impress me (And for that matter, everyone else here...), but a worm...? (I'm blaming it on whoever made that building...)

Now for something legitimate to say...

It feels like that interchanges are more than just something that gets you from highway to another. They feel like a form of art; Look at Texas's High-Five Interchange, for example. Sadly, the RHW technology isn't advanced enough yet for multi-level stacks beyond two-level...

Even more sadly is that I live nowhere near any of these things, so I can't get any real life inspiration, so the only thing I can rely on is... This thread (And others) and Wikipedia.

Now, I believe there were only TWO examples of basketweaves I've seen here in all of the forums (Haljackey made one and so did someone else; I don't know who...) Now there's a third... Created by GDO29Anagram. (That would be me...)

Nineteen tiles at its widest. Interchanges a multi-RHW consisting of RHW-6s for the express lanes and RHW-8s for the collector lanes.

BOOM!!! Nightshot!!!

Now for some "not-so" close-ups... Three of them... Two at the ends of the interchange, and one in the middle, where the big mast light is... They're not as close up as I wanted them to be... It's just so huge...

I may have gone overkill with the lights again...

And before you ask about some of the lots in the picture,... Custom-modified lots, made specifically for the overhanging part of the RHW-6s.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Kskrs

Great work everyone! &apls

Here is one of my interchanges! It connects the Outer Loop (I-510) with I-47 (E-W connection).

Woot!

darraghf

Very Nice interchange. It's simple, effective and well decorated. Well done!

Haljackey

Quote from: darraghf on July 17, 2010, 07:33:09 AM

I'm very impressed with the last picture, Hal. There's an interchange just like that in Dublin, except a lot more efficient on space. Still, it looks impressive though. Well done. That's why I miss The Greater Terran Region. *hint, hint*  :P

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 18, 2010, 07:07:34 PM

Hal, you never fail to impress me (And for that matter, everyone else here...), but a worm...? (I'm blaming it on whoever made that building...)

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm sure you want to see a GTR revival, but I don't think it will be coming out of retirement. (You can access the archived, reorganized MD in my signature.) Most of my work will be posted here and the RHW threads so it's not like I'm depriving you of content.  :P

As for that building, I didn't really notice it until you mentioned it. What's so wrong with it? Are you a Apple fan GDO29Anagram?  :D

It feels like that interchanges are more than just something that gets you from highway to another. They feel like a form of art; Look at Texas's High-Five Interchange, for example. Sadly, the RHW technology isn't advanced enough yet for multi-level stacks beyond two-level...

Exactly. Believe it or not, the High Five in Dallas is a tourist site. The artwork on the support coulombs and whatnot make it look like more than just a slab of concrete and asphalt. In SC4, adding some eyecandy can really help bring out the "beauty" of our junctions. The RHW cosmetic pieces can help out too.

Your basketweave is really well done GDO29Anagram! I like how there only is one bridge in each direction. The use of lane shifts and FARHW keep it from being too curvy. In the end it's a very well designed exchange except for the lighting overkill. You'll blind the drivers during the night! :P

Kskrs: That's a very cool elongated trumpet interchange! Nice use of the MIS curves at the side too!

Anyways, I finished work on the exchange I posted earlier. I decided to convert the Maxis highway to RHW and connect it to the ground highway a little east of the junction. Here is the final design:

A closeup. As you can see, cars are already starting to use some of the ramps.

A new interchange was constructed a little south of the mammoth junction. This provides commuters access to the new junction. Volumes are expected to increase as development occurs around the interchange.
-Note the extra space between ramps for northbound traffic.

More slip lanes added to a major transit corridor.

Here's a mess of an intersection I just upgraded. The north/south road was widened to a MAVE-6, direct ramp connections were added to the east/west road via slip lanes, and the bike path was partially converted to a street to aid in local connections.

Finally, a shot for giggles. The bullet train junction is getting starting to get a little congested. Also note the TuLEPs around the stadium.

Bonus! A new video! This shows various connections in the city including the transit corridor and a part of the new RHW/RHW interchange!

http://www.youtube.com/v/4xl0PkR03KY

Link (for HD and info): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xl0PkR03KY

canyonjumper

Awesome video Hal! Interchanges are amazing as well! Was that Road-Ave Transition in the NAM, or unreleased? Cuz it looks so good ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

TJ1

Quote from: Kskrs on July 19, 2010, 11:54:25 AM
Great work everyone! &apls

Here is one of my interchanges! It connects the Outer Loop (I-510) with I-47 (E-W connection).

Excellent trumpet interchange buy the way. You said "Loop I-510" when odd numbered 3DI's are spurs and not loops. Im just messing with you ;D. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

And Haljackey how do post youtube videos and where did you get that road/avenue transition? And is the signage piece mod ever coming out? ()what()

Haljackey

Quote from: canyonjumper on July 20, 2010, 11:46:21 AM

Awesome video Hal! Interchanges are amazing as well! Was that Road-Ave Transition in the NAM, or unreleased? Cuz it looks so good ;D

Quote from: TJ1 on July 20, 2010, 01:07:31 PM

And Haljackey how do post youtube videos and where did you get that road/avenue transition? And is the signage piece mod ever coming out? ()what()

Actually, it's not part of the NAM, or any NAM component. I've had that transition texture for a long time (well over a year)... but I forget where I downloaded it! :'( I thought and thought about where I got it but I was unable to figure it out, sorry!

For getting Youtube videos embedded on site, the best way to figure it out is quote my post for the code.

As for the SPM, talk to Tarkus.  :P

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on July 21, 2010, 01:43:20 PM
Actually, it's not part of the NAM, or any NAM component. I've had that transition texture for a long time (well over a year)... but I forget where I downloaded it! :'( I thought and thought about where I got it but I was unable to figure it out, sorry!

I actually found the thread for it a long time ago, but never bothered downloading the transition texture for myself... Page 3 has the DL link. Whoever requested this, it should help you a lot, but it'll block you from DL-ing the thing until you complete a survey...

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4777
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 21, 2010, 02:07:39 PM
I actually found the thread for it a long time ago, but never bothered downloading the transition texture for myself... Page 3 has the DL link. Whoever requested this, it should help you a lot, but it'll block you from DL-ing the thing until you complete a survey...

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4777

Well since it isn't hosted on an exchange I'll just attach the files to this post to eliminate the need to take those surveys. Credit goes to Videosean and all those who helped him with this mod!

Picture:

I'm pretty sure these are the correct files... Hope you enjoy them!

Just extract them to your plugins folder. They do not need to be in the NAM folder.

darraghf

Quote from: Haljackey on July 22, 2010, 08:04:45 AM
Well since it isn't hosted on an exchange I'll just attach the files to this post to eliminate the need to take those surveys. Credit goes to Videosean and all those who helped him with this mod!

Picture:

I'm pretty sure these are the correct files... Hope you enjoy them!

Just extract them to your plugins folder. They do not need to be in the NAM folder.
Actually, there isn't any survey to be taken.You just have to go to the bottom of the page to the download link.

canyonjumper

Awesome, thanks for the link!
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Tarkus

I should add, those Avenue-Road transition textures will actually be included (with videosean's permission) in the upcoming NAM Cosmetic & Retexture Mod package that Dave (superhands) has been compiling, too. :)

Some great-looking and creative interchanges here as always--I always enjoy seeing folks putting the RHW through its paces! :thumbsup:

-Alex

io_bg

Quote from: Tarkus on July 22, 2010, 02:17:33 PM
I should add, those Avenue-Road transition textures will actually be included (with videosean's permission) in the upcoming NAM Cosmetic & Retexture Mod package that Dave (superhands) has been compiling, too. :)
:shocked2: Can we have a preview of that mod? &blush
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November