• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

The Irish signs are quite simmilar to the British signs (from which I have a pack recently uploaded on the STEX).

Nice interchanges everyone
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

jdenm8: I gotta say it's getting there, but those loop ramps look a bit too large in my opinion. Also, merge space for a slip lane isn't really needed, but I guess since you had the room it looks ok. Your on-ramps are also a little curvy... since the interchange is already quite large, why not have them go diagonally all the way?

Also, that's a parclo B-4, not A-4 :P. The difference is where the loop ramps are positioned in the junction. The A's have the loop ramps serve entering traffic, and the B's serve exiting traffic. Generally, A's are safer as people exiting usually go around the loop ramps at higher speeds, while entering traffic usually accelerates after coming around the loop. There's your fact of the day.  ;)

Some new stuff from me:

I rehabilitated a short municipal expressway to include a weave lane. Don't worry, the speed limit is only 60km/h so you won't see crazy swerves since cars are traveling at about half the speed of freeways.

New ground highway underpass.

I've reconstructed this bullet train junction several times now. It originally looked like a cloverleaf.

I have slowly been upgrading my old networks to incorporate NWM and TuLEPs. Here's a redone area near a bullet train station.

I had to shift this avenue a bit to make way for a larger elevated rail station. Slip lanes along the old alignment increase the capacity of this road as well.

Traffic query shows cars are starting to take advantage of the new RHW/RHW interchange I made a few pages back. This is for the morning commute.

And the new interchange south of the RHW/RHW junction is also getting some use. I incorporated some TuLEPs to the intersections as well.
-Now if I could only get rid of that sidewalk texture that appears next to the RHW-6S. :P

That's it for now. Perhaps I'll get to work on that "perfect parclo" competition soon...   :D

deathtopumpkins

Hal, you can get rid of that sidewalk texture. the right shoulder on the RHW-6S is overhanging, so you only NEED to draw the left tile. And there are also the filler pieces which I don't think have textures.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 26, 2010, 09:42:31 AM
Hal, you can get rid of that sidewalk texture. the right shoulder on the RHW-6S is overhanging, so you only NEED to draw the left tile. And there are also the filler pieces which I don't think have textures.

Ah, I wish it were that simple DTP. Thing is that there has to be an extra tile on either side of the ramps and, in order for the elevated rail to properly drag over a RHW-6S, two tiles must be dragged over it as well. The only way to keep the the RHW-6S textures in place under the elevated rail is to have the outer tile dragged so it doesn't override the network.
-Starter pieces can also work, but that would give me a sidewalk texture on those stubs, as well as on the edges of the ramp pieces. May as well drag the whole thing over to keep the sidewalk consistent... looks better than patchwork. :P

jdenm8

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 25, 2010, 05:41:25 PM
(I stick to diamonds and Half Cloverleafs generally, other types are too confusing in LHD)

If you take into account my driving direction, then it is an A-4 :P

The ramps are like that because while the loops are big, they have to be to merge/exit at the bottom of the artificial hill (cause hills aren't too conductive to exits) and I wanted it to look even. But, on the same token, I want to develop around there (at some stage) and that just means there's more room.

I'm also investigating a way to get those at-grade intersections free-flowing. I have investigated using normal transition ramps on a slope and having the ramps curve into the centre (using FLEXfly of course), but the ramp only goes to a 7.5m high ground level from 0. I'll get a pic to show what I mean later.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

Got myself working on building the Jonkersmond Bypass in Imaginia. Here's the result (click for full resolution  ;D):
Exit 7 - Jonkersmond West (N69):

Interchange 8 - Jonkersmond-Zandhoven (N19):

Exit 9 - Jonkersmond Central South (N9):

Exit 10 - Jonkersmond Central East (N69):

Interchange 11 - Jonkersmond East (B11):

Other interchanges from motorways in the same area:
B11:
Exit 9 - Jonkersmond South:

Interchange 10 - Jeafrey de Jongh Square:

A9:
Exit 0 - Jonkersmond North:

Exit 1 - Jonkersmond Central:

Best,
Maarten

the7train

Quote from: Haljackey on July 24, 2010, 09:51:19 PM
-Make a good looking overpass. Just don't plop in the NAM overpasses/underpasses, make yourself a hill on either side and use those on-slope pieces to build your bridge. Make sure your slope and grades to/from the overpass are smooth and gentle.
I agree Hal, but as jdenm8 alluded to that's not easy to do as we can't curve roads on slopes like that (a fix for this would improve RHW leaps and bounds!).  Therefore the bridges/FLUPs are the best way to create compact loops and are actually pretty realistic in some areas like cities, as shown in one of your interchanges!  Great job integrating the TULEPs as well and using all transit networks!  But I must say I think I like your RHW/RHW Interchange the most.

That said, Anagram I really like your parclo interchange!

Mrtnrln, I really like the realism of your interchanges with the eye candy and great curves!  For the one where the off-ramp goes underground, is that a FLUP?  If so, how did you get it under a diagonal RHW?

Ciuu96

Very nice as always Maarten  :thumbsup:
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Moe31

Hey Marteen! Excellent interchanges! I like their realism!  &apls

Can you tell me where did you find these european textures on the highway?  :)

Highrise99

Great interchanges! &apls
Did you use FAMIS to create those T-interchanges?

MandelSoft

Quote from: the7train on July 27, 2010, 06:54:49 AM
Mrtnrln, I really like the realism of your interchanges with the eye candy and great curves!  For the one where the off-ramp goes underground, is that a FLUP?  If so, how did you get it under a diagonal RHW?
Nope, It's a OWR to Subway Lot made by ill_tonsko. You can find it on the STEX (don't know the link).
Quote from: Moe31 on July 27, 2010, 11:01:48 AM
Hey Marteen! Excellent interchanges! I like their realism!  &apls

Can you tell me where did you find these european textures on the highway?  :)
Made them myself and I released them on the STEX.

Quote from: Highrise99 on July 27, 2010, 11:13:05 AM
Great interchanges! &apls
Did you use FAMIS to create those T-interchanges?
Only A9 Exit 1 used FAMIS. The rest is made with smooth curves and other regular RHW-ramps

el_cozu

could somebody make a 5-way freeway interchange that kinda looks like this one in Monterrey, Mexico?... or at least, how would you resolve this intersection?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: el_cozu on July 27, 2010, 11:22:02 AM
could somebody make a 5-way freeway interchange that kinda looks like this one in Monterrey, Mexico?

A five-way interchange...? That sounds challenging...

Also, your picture looks more like something that's part partial-Y and part SPUI; Never seen a setup like that in my life...

I think I'll try to make a five-way interchange, but I doubt it'll work...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Moe31

Quote from: mrtnrln on July 27, 2010, 11:20:13 AM
Made them myself and I released them on the STEX.

Ok i've got it! Thanks and real good job!  :thumbsup:

jdenm8

Quote from: the7train on July 27, 2010, 06:54:49 AM
I agree Hal, but as jdenm8 alluded to that's not easy to do as we can't curve roads on slopes like that
Well... you can with some of the pieces, but it involves a lot of time, in-game money, ground raisers and swearing.

I've found FAMIS curves to be the most conductive as long as you have a starter at the top or bottoms of the slopes cause, well, starter stubs don't work on slopes and FAMIS curves don't have starter stubs on them.

Exits are what's really impossible. As they have starters attached to them, they must be placed on level ground. DRI doesn't help much really either as it has to be flat in the centre. As long as starter pieces are controlled by intersection overrides, we will never have true flexibility on slopes.

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 27, 2010, 10:54:54 PM
Exits are what's really impossible. As they have starters attached to them, they must be placed on level ground. DRI doesn't help much really either as it has to be flat in the centre. As long as starter pieces are controlled by intersection overrides, we will never have true flexibility on slopes.

The whole "starter" issue has been one that I've thought a lot about over the years.  The situation you've mentioned is a large part of the reason that the "starterless" pieces started appearing in RHW 4.0.  When the starter technology was new in 2007, and the ramps were implemented that way in RHW 2.0, it was kind of the fashionable thing to do, and the convenience of having the starts of the various override networks already in place was seen as a good thing.  However, I think the disadvantages of placement caused by the starters have, over time, come to outweigh that, and the starterless route may actually offer more flexibility, not only on the slope end, but also in terms of space consumption, without negatively impacting realistic scale.

It's likely that many of the other existing pieces, including the ramp interfaces, will get "starterless" treatments, though it's unclear at this point whether or not the "starterless" will supplant the "startered" pieces or if they'll co-exist.  I'm leaning toward co-existence now, though user feedback will ultimately be a factor on that end.

And as always, some fine interchanges here!  I always enjoy seeing people pushing the RHW to its limits. :thumbsup:

-Alex

travismking

co-existence for sure, there are many places where i want to drag, but also some where being able to use puzzle pieces is better

samerton

Brilliant road systems Haljackey and Maarten! I wish I had the imagination to build like that...

TJ1

My first try at a tight compact trumpet interchange, ive updated this since I took this picture

jdenm8

Very nice and smooth.  :thumbsup:

I also like how you've included enough room for acceleration and braking for that tight hairpin. Turns like that do exist (as much as some people refuse to allow that they do) and that's quite realistic.

And, commenting on Tarkus' post, I completely agree. I would prefer to have co-existence though, the convenience of having starters on the areas that are flat is just... great. In conjunction with pieces to allow us to place exits on slopes without the plateau effects at either end of the piece would be... I just can't think of a word to describe the situation that it would have. Fantastic, excellent and perfect all seem to understate it.