• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakley459

Haljackey

lol turtle! Yeah if I drove a car in UDI I doubt I would have lasted more than 30 seconds.  :P

Your junctions look really good. That's one tight trumpet interchange! I also like the use of FARHW and diagonal sections in your second photo. Those ramps have a nice on-slope transition too. Nice work!  :thumbsup:

exi123

I think its my first pcture-post here, hope you like it.

My first (good working) high capacity Highway-cross:

Haljackey

Looks great exi123! I would suggest you straighten your outer ramps if you can to make it more realistic, or at least try to replace those 90 degree curves with two 45 degree bends.

Oh, and you can drag el-rail over RHW. Those subway connections are not needed. The line may need to be built one tile to the south though as dragged networks don't interact well with RHW puzzle pieces left at the ends of starter pieces and transitions.

mightygoose

turtle, those interchanges are lovely and exi123 do listen to Haljackey, he tends to know what he is talking about.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Haljackey

Quote from: mightygoose on November 01, 2010, 05:06:42 PM
do listen to Haljackey, he tends to know what he is talking about.

lol, thanks for the vote of confidence Goose! :P

An oldie from me. Junction created in 2005. Can you believe that was 5 years ago?

sincitybaby

One of many Interchanges within my country.

Kevin1a

@sincitybaby: It doesn't get much more realistic than that, although I would be surprised to see something like a DDI in such a rural setting.  Great job.  Also, if you do build up a city around it, that northbound (assuming north is up) merge lane would look really good with timed release lights.  It just reminds me of that because of the way neither lane merges into the other, they just get mashed together.  Overall an excellent interchange.

noahclem

@ haljackey - great video as always! i remember how thrilled my girlfriend was when i kept playing the youtube video of "i see girls" after watching your last one ;) Also enjoyed the old-school MHW interchange! God bless the NAM team for showing us a better way over the last few years  &apls

@ all - another great group of interchanges  :thumbsup:

sincitybaby

Quote from: Kevin1a on November 03, 2010, 07:21:01 PM
@sincitybaby: It doesn't get much more realistic than that, although I would be surprised to see something like a DDI in such a rural setting.  Great job.  Also, if you do build up a city around it, that northbound (assuming north is up) merge lane would look really good with timed release lights.  It just reminds me of that because of the way neither lane merges into the other, they just get mashed together.  Overall an excellent interchange.

Thanks for your feedback!! It actually is going to be quite a busy interchange, as it is between a major highway and a freeway, when the area is developed.  It is part of an outer beltway of my largest city!  Yes it's too bad that timed release lights aren't available for download! Thanks again, I hope to show the finished area soon!

mightygoose

the only improvement i could see would be to swap the grade separation.... the primary trunk road nevel changes grade for a junction.... always the secondary.

Haljackey

sincitybaby: Fantastic DDI! I like the 2-lane off-ramps, that's something you see a lot of in urban settings.

noahclem: Thanks! Glad you enjoy my videos! They certainly take a while to make so I always appreciate the feedback!

Goose: The problem with having the RHW pass through at-grade is the DDI pieces. You need an extra tile on either side for the OWR stubs, and then another extra tile for the on-slope OWR overpass connections. That makes the junction's footprint larger and DDI's are designed to be as compact as possible. Besides, sincitybaby's slope is very smooth so that goes a long way in realism rather than just using the RHW-4 to el-RHW-4 transitions.

mightygoose

i did not know that about the stubs... thanks for the tip. curiously why have they not made an under carriageway SPUI piece... surely that is most realistic..?

Haljackey

Quote from: mightygoose on November 04, 2010, 04:35:46 PM
curiously why have they not made an under carriageway SPUI piece... surely that is most realistic..?

Umm... because they have?

Simple SPUI from the RHW interchange guide:

mightygoose

sorry i really should read more before i go shooting my mouth off XDXD

Haljackey

Here's a video of an old city of mine that I haven't been able to load for several years. (SC4 always crashed when loading the city tile, but seems to work since I got a new computer.)

Yes I know there are glitches, a lot of glitches. Missing dependencies- check, graphical, brown boxes- check, insane unrealistic design- check. Don't worry about pointing things like this out to me. I'm just happy I got the city to load and was able to record a lot of the highway system. The video gets progressively more unstable until it finally crashes to desktop at the end. To be honest I'm surprised how long the city was stable before it crashed. Video recording puts a large burden on the game's frame rate and performance.

http://www.youtube.com/v/xfpTdRDJZIM&hd=1

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpTdRDJZIM

Most of that city was made in 2005 and was later retrofitted with NAM, plugins and some primitive RHW (Version 1.2, the first public release). As you can see from this video I have improved with city and road design over time lol.

Anyways I hope you enjoy the video! SC4 has come a long way eh?

zakuten

Quote from: mightygoose on November 04, 2010, 02:40:41 AM
the only improvement i could see would be to swap the grade separation.... the primary trunk road nevel changes grade for a junction.... always the secondary.

Off topic a bit here, but in some cases here in super-flat Illinois, there are some cases where the interstate overpasses. I suspect it has to do with the road below already being there, but...
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Ryan B.

Here's a high-capacity direct-ramp SPUI.  It may defeat the compact purpose of a SPUI in a more urban setting, but I wanted to see how a "suburban/rural" SPUI would work.  Here's the result:

Haljackey

I've seen that design before Ryan. Kind of defeats the purpose of the SPUI, but it looks so cool! It sort of looks like a mini-stack interchange when zoomed far away.

AzaToth

I was tinkering if it would be possible to build something that mimics an magic roundabout. I know it's ugly and doesn't fit anything in reality, but it's my first try anyway  :satisfied:.