• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

@McDuell

I'll have to admit that those are some pretty interesting intersections, and your "Whirlpool-Rotary" interchange seems to be worthy for a tutorial... But I want to see if I can make an orthogonal version of that first... Unless you already have one somewhere...

Another thing is this: Your cloverstacks and turbines have inspired me to "cheat" a little bit to create a more symmetrical full diamond... ;) Let's see what I can come up with now...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Nego

@McDuell: Wow! :shocked2: Those are some really nice interchanges! &apls They must have taken a while to build. That's pretty amazing stuff. I'd wouldn't have the time, (or patients), to be able to make something as fantastic as those! Keep up the awesome work! :thumbsup:

psander5

This thread continues to astound and inspire me! RHW is almost perfect it seems! There's now a long list of interchanges that can be made in a satisfyingly realistic way.  I regularly use this thread to get my interchanges from!

One day I'll try using one of those fancy and fantastic turbines or whirlpools in my cities, but for now I'm still inclined to use more simple setups :P

In the RHW Interchange Guide Terring7 recently posted this, and It made me realise that I could make more of a roundabout version if I sunk one of the highways into a tunnel.  This is so simple it has probably been shown here before, but this thread and others like it are now simply too big to quickly check! Here it is:

This is the basic version. I don't really like using the ground to 15m elevated ramps though - they're just too severe - so I made an alternative version using an 8m embankment with a 15m overpass:

A nice smooth slope mod makes the high speed, straight through sections nice and gentle, and the FARHW pieces are a godsend!

I would never be able to come up with this on my own - even though it's not exactly revolutionary (tee he, roundabout pun) - so thanks Terring7 (in this case) and everyone else for continuing to show various types of interchange that allow non-road-geeks like me to work with the RHW in a realistic way  :thumbsup: 

MandelSoft

^^ That would be a three-level roundabout interchange. Looks nice.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Mcduell: Amazing work as always!

Quote from: mrtnrln on January 18, 2011, 07:13:18 AM
That would be a three-level roundabout interchange. Looks nice.

yep, and I'm looking for an author for that section. Nice work!

j-dub

QuoteI don't really like using the ground to 15m elevated ramps though - they're just too severe - so I made an alternative version using an 8m embankment with a 15m overpass

Great minds think alike. I think realistically, people actually do prefer to raise the ground, move dirt around, so the could just lay the girter over the two sections of land, instead of the more complicated route of making a ramp. I have seen real bridge construction too many times myself to come up with this quotation, and more often I see the landforms get redone more.

[Delta ²k5]

One of two identical intersections I made as an airport connection. Click on it for the full version ;)

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

louistsw

;D

Edit: Oops..forget the size
A lazy fox (=^ω^=)

Canidae Inu Republic League
犬科大犬和民共和國聯盟

samerton

@ louistsw: Very nice interchange, but please resize your picture to 800x600.

noahclem

Very interesting intersection louistsw! I'd be curious to see the rest of it. Great job making it look visually appealing as well with the signs, merging lanes, and trees. That line of identical, evenly spaced pine trees (I believe Simfox's work?) looks really good. You see stuff like that in real life and I've thought of doing it in SimCity but I always end up making the trees look more random, using other types of trees and not placing them evenly.

Also, there is no rule I'm aware of on the width of pictures posted here. The maximum guideline is 1024, not 800, and that is not a rule.

More here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7.0

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you jdub and psander on the 15m transitions to elevated being too steep and generally unrealistic--especially when you see a section of highway run completely level for 50 tiles and then suddenly and steeply change level. Even the FLUP transitions look too steep for highway purposes, though they only change height by about half that of the overpass pieces. By the way, nice work on your interchange psander!

Nice junction delta2k5, the zoomed out version makes it a lot easier to understand  :thumbsup:

Death50

Nice looking rinterchanges fellows. I'm all about interchanges being as compact as possible so though those big ones look nice. Just not my cup of tea, they would never fit in my cities! I like to build small interchanges that I can latter upgrade as needed. Sometimes it ends up being a lot of work. But I find it very realstic and lets me make a lot of a one of a kind interchanges because of space and land problems.

Like this one in Bridge Port:

Recently upgraded to meet "interstate standards"

Nego

Both of your interchanges are really nice! louistsw's interchange reminds me of an interchange over by where I live. What I like about Death50's interchange is all of the sims. They make the area look so much more alive! :D Anyway, great job everyone! Keep up the great work! &apls

Haljackey

[Delta ²k5]: Nice airport junction!

louistsw: Oh a double trumpet mashup! We don't see those too often here. Awesome work!

Death50: Very cool three-way junction! I like the flyover/under ramp.

Ryan B.

Here's one I just tinkered around with - it took forever to get the spacing right:

Nego

Nice, Ryan B.! Very simple, yet perfect! Great work! :thumbsup:

Death50

Thank you guys for the nice words.

Nego: I feel the same, seeing the interchanges is one thing. It's to then see the Sims going on their routes on them that is the finishing touch!

Ryan B: Good idea, compact and usefull for an elevated RHW route. One thing I would change are the points where the RHW ramps meet the avenue, to an avenue interchange insted of two indvidual intersections next to each other. Again, good job.  ;)

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Death50

Terring7: When I first saw that my reaction was "Where's the Fries? (next time we'll wash your mouth out with soap)" but it's really creative. Can Sims get on both lines from that station?

Here is another one of mine, this time showing my before and after upgrades.

Expressway 88 & Route 79 very limited junction. Built at the time for space and money reasons. This become a nightmare during rush hour for those heading towards the beach. Also notice that Flx Fly isn't even connected to the freeway. Sims had to go through massive traffic and two traffic singals to get to it.

The upgrade! Now the last area of 88 has been upgraded to "Interstate Standards" and is the Interstate 88 & Route 79 Junction!

Terring7

Yes, they can! This monorail station also contain a subway station.
The Choice is Ours
---