• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risu

mike3775

Thats a great intersection, I love how the highway ramps all blend into the surrounding ground

noahclem

Quote from: jordanfrew1994 on October 20, 2011, 08:53:57 PM
Please go easy on me, it's my first post :D

I don't think anyone's going to give you a hard time for that one  :D

Very nicely done intersection but what really makes it shine are those great MMPs decorating it  &apls  The only suggestion I'd offer is to ditch the tunnels and use over/underpasses--just my two cents.

jordanfrew1994

Thanks eveyone.

@noahclem:  I tried my best to use the overpasses but it had to change height a lot and looked quite eugly.  It was quite a dissapointment having to use the tunnel.  :D

Ramona Brie

How about a SPUI with a rail crossing?

MandelSoft

Level rail crossings are not a good idea, especially on freeways...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jordanfrew1994

It looks awesome, but you're really killing the point of a "freeway".  you'd have to have a signal a few miles back in order to warn drivers to slow down and stop.  It would caus major jams.  But still, looks nice xD

bthersh

His railway crossings are only on the ramps, so it doesn't really affect the "freeway."  We actually have several highways where I grew up in Ohio that the state considers freeways but have level rail crossings - not just across ramps but across the mainline.  Why they bothered to grade separate all the roads and build interchanges but didn't bother to build a rail bridge I have no idea!

Brian

Wiimeiser

It's worse here in Melbourne, they've only grade-separated two level crossings in the last 50 years AFAIK; The one at Springvale road, and the one at the Boronia/Dorset intersection. The only reason they even did the latter was because it crossed in the middle of a four-way arterial road intersection.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Kitsune

I got one better .... Toronto's elevated expressway use to stretch a bit longer then it currently does by about a km.... however that section was poorly built and was never fully completed. They had three options, repair it, tear it down to the railway crossing, or tear down the entire stretch. We now have a busy 6 lane divided road with a railway crossing that sees over 30 trains a week.
~ NAM Team Member

kody_organmaster

One of the interchanges in my city of Portland.

Here is one from Middletown.
--Kody

Ramona Brie

Quote from: mrtnrln on October 21, 2011, 09:58:51 AM
Level rail crossings are not a good idea, especially on freeways...

I'd agree, but there was just no way to build an interchange or reroute the railroad in this case.

In my area the only railroad bridge-type crossings are the Mill Avenue viaduct in Tempe (it's like a 90° FlexCurve setup in SC4), several redone interchanges on Grand Avenue (a road that goes 45° through the grid of northwest Phoenix and parallels a railroad. There were several six-way intersections that are now grade-separated), and 7th St. over the railroad through downtown (that's by Chase Field). Never at a freeway interchange. I may have to rethink how I do that, but at least it's NOT on the mainline freeway.

Swordmaster

Quote from: kody_organmaster on October 22, 2011, 12:22:34 AM
One of the interchanges in my city of Portland.

Here is one from Middletown.

Those are really nice!

jordanfrew1994

Here's another one I've just finished.  It's basically a high speed high capacity cloverleaf with a 6 lane crossing an 8 lane mororway.  In order to substantically reduce weaving, I have taken two of the four loops and extended them with the use of tunnels to the edge of the interchange.  I have tried my best to create smooth curves and realistic slopes in and out of tunnels.  Because it's quite large I will provide several pictures.

This is an overview of it.

This is one of the two tunnels.

A close up of the inner loops.

A close up of the approach to the flyover.

It may look a bit wonky but I promise it's 99% symetrical :D

Give me some feedback! :D

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jordanfrew1994 on October 24, 2011, 02:30:30 PM
Here's another one I've just finished.  It's basically a high speed high capacity cloverleaf with a 6 lane crossing an 8 lane mororway.

Heh,... A little lopsided (but that's because you had to accommodate the tunnel entrances), but I like it. :thumbsup:

Sometimes, people will make super-sized high-capacity versions of very simple interchange designs by replacing the parts that would be the MIS network with RHW-4. One well-known example was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqzraqGUD8">Haljackey's RHW interchange</a> that was made back in RHW 2.0, a time when even ERHW-4 was non-existent.

Now with the introduction of wider elevated RHWs, these super-interchanges are going to become even more epic, and yours is a good example that utilises the elevated 6C.

EDIT: I meant 6S.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jordanfrew1994

Hey thanks.  I could have made it perfect all round but ovcourse that would have taken up even more space lol.  Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to be working.  I'm about to start work on an 8 lane crossing a 6 lane along with a smaller 4 lane coming in at an angle.  Hopefully it goes well :D

Haljackey

Yes that is a epic, organic design jordanfrew1994. Never seen a cloverleaf like that.

It really does remind me of an oldie I made that Ganaram mentioned.

It's kinda a hybrid of what you made.

Bipin

Nice one Haljackey! Other than this one, your interchanges often seem to have the feel of the ones I see down here in SW Ontario. This one has a nice sort of Euro feel to it, different from what you normally do. I like the organic, rural feel it has.

Haljackey

Quote from: Bipin on October 24, 2011, 04:47:35 PM
Nice one Haljackey! Other than this one, your interchanges often seem to have the feel of the ones I see down here in SW Ontario. This one has a nice sort of Euro feel to it, different from what you normally do. I like the organic, rural feel it has.

Well that's because I'm from SW Ontario (London). That oldie was very organic because that's the only way full RHW interchanges could be made with RHW 2.0 and smooth curves. It is by far my largest interchange even to this day.

Oh, and by the way, Nice work kody_organmaster! I really like the second one.

jordanfrew1994

@Halkackey:  Thanks!  That's a really pretty interchange I must say! :P  Could you possibly get close ups? :D