• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

New video from me showing Ave-6 intersections and a variety of other intersection/interchange designs.

http://www.youtube.com/v/EbwNobJXdt0

http://youtu.be/EbwNobJXdt0

mike3775

Your video's always crack me up Haljackey, because you will obey the traffic lights, yet plow into vehicles to get them out of the way  lol

Shark7

Quote from: mike3775 on May 05, 2012, 10:27:05 AM
Your video's always crack me up Haljackey, because you will obey the traffic lights, yet plow into vehicles to get them out of the way  lol

Too bad we can't do that in the real  world...  ;D

Allein

Interchange in Sunnyvale $%Grinno$%

Paul 999

Looks very dangerous because:
picture 1: that compound bow with traffic in to directions whit out separated lanes (2x1 road).
picture 2: the entreat ramp and exit ramp are to close to each other.

oczomajster

Two new intersections by me!

The first one:

The second one:

Enjoy!

Sorry for any mistakes! I'm writing with translator!

exi123

Nice intersections oczomajster, very well done!

mike3775

Quote from: Paul 999 on May 06, 2012, 10:11:47 AM
picture 2: the entreat ramp and exit ramp are to close to each other.

Don't come where I live.  When they widened I-94 from 3 lanes to 4 lanes from the state line to Central Ave in Lake County Indiana(just past I-65), just before I-65 heading eastbound, there is an on ramp from Broadway which merges with I-94 and about 1 mile up is a 2 lane exit for I-65, and you have to literally thread the needle to get over onto I-94 avoiding getting hit by vehicles trying to get over to get onto the ramp for I-65.  Of the entire reconstruction of that highway in those area's, that is the biggest cluster F#$% they did.

kbieniu7

Very nice oczo! Not too big, not too small ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mike3775

oczomajster, why not have two roundabouts in the second picture?  If that intersection gets high amounts of traffic, that stoplight is going to cause backups onto the actual highway

jdenm8

Because if there's high amounts of traffic heading E/W on the surface road, adding another roundabout will more consistently cause more traffic to bank up onto the motorway.

Besides, it's a Removed/Added Lane style interchange, so traffic backing up in that right lane won't make through congestion worse.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

mike3775

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 06, 2012, 07:31:35 PM
Because if there's high amounts of traffic heading E/W on the surface road, adding another roundabout will more consistently cause more traffic to bank up onto the motorway.

Besides, it's a Removed/Added Lane style interchange, so traffic backing up in that right lane won't make through congestion worse.

But thats the thing, a roundy is supposed to keep the traffic flowing better than a traffic signal does.  A stoplight causes traffic to back up, due to the stop, but a roundy is supposed to keep traffic flowing.  In the second picture, if there is huge amounts of traffic, it is possible that signal will have cars backed up to the highway coming from the north.

A city near me put in a roundy to replace 2 stoplights at a highly congested intersection, and they have now found out that it actually made things worse, because they made it to small to handle the amounts of traffic that goes through the area, and are now trying to figure out whether to expand it, or actually remove it and put back in better timed traffic signals.

jdenm8

Roundabouts are cheaper and generally work better, but if there's a high amount of cross traffic, traffic coming from the spurs just can't get in unless someone decides to turn. Breaking up this flow is one of the primary arguments for putting traffic lights on Roundabouts.

I recently had to sit at a Roundabout Interchange while what felt like hundreds of cars went straight through on the perpendicular road while waiting in a 200m long queue on the hard shoulder of a four-lane 90km/h Motorway.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

RickD

I would combine the traffic lights with sensors in the freeway ramp so that the green phase will be longer when traffic is about to back up onto the highway.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

mike3775

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 08, 2012, 08:05:48 AM
Roundabouts are cheaper and generally work better, but if there's a high amount of cross traffic, traffic coming from the spurs just can't get in unless someone decides to turn. Breaking up this flow is one of the primary arguments for putting traffic lights on Roundabouts.

I recently had to sit at a Roundabout Interchange while what felt like hundreds of cars went straight through on the perpendicular road while waiting in a 200m long queue on the hard shoulder of a four-lane 90km/h Motorway.

I see your point as well on that.  I never had to wait on a highway ramp with a roundabout before, but have numerous times with traffic lights.  So I can see why you are indeed correct that a second roundabout in the second picture would be wrong. 

I t will be fun once they officially build a bridge over SR 49 near me @ Vale Park Rd in Valpo Indiana and the plans are to have two roundabouts where the on/off ramps for SR49 join the road though, I see lots of accidents occurring, and according to plans, those roundabouts are going to be way to small, as they only want one lane, and that road gets a lot of truck traffic   

oczomajster

Heh, nice discussion :)

Why not two roundabouts?
I would like to create a little different intersection than usually ;P
I think also that amount of traffic won't be high because the RHW will be a bypass of little town. It isn't a typical highway. I would say that this is the local expressway.

Sorry for any mistakes! I'm writing with translator!

mike3775

Quote from: oczomajster on May 08, 2012, 11:01:25 AM
Heh, nice discussion :)

Why not two roundabouts?
I would like to create a little different intersection than usually ;P
I think also that amount of traffic won't be high because the RHW will be a bypass of little town. It isn't a typical highway. I would say that this is the local expressway.

Its cool Oczo.  I have tried that with the RHW before(bypass), and every time I tried it, it always became blood red with traffic regardless.  But they are nicely done though

eggman121

Here is an interchange that I recently built in my region

Many thanks to Haljackey and his guide on how to build this interchange :thumbsup:

Opkl

Quote from: eggman121 on May 09, 2012, 09:21:42 PM

Many thanks to Haljackey and his guide on how to build this interchange :thumbsup:

What kind of interchange is this? It's very nice.

puzzled5543

Quote from: Opkl on May 10, 2012, 06:43:02 AM
Quote from: eggman121 on May 09, 2012, 09:21:42 PM

<snip>

What kind of interchange is this? It's very nice.

I'd have to say it's a diverging parclo. One with a great design too.