• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

I had to squeeze in an interchange in an area where the RHW had to curve and every type of interchange I wanted to do that was compact didn't look right so I did a diagonal cloverleaf here, which so far is handling the traffic decently, but I may have to upgrade the MIS to RHW-2's

after it was built

after the development in the area(about 30 game years, and I decided to make the one MIS a tad longer due to safety issues right after the curve)

A wider view, the MHW bridge because of the river, and wanting an interchange in that area, I left the split from the other side of the river and used the diagonal RHW-4 ramps the way I did.  (yes I know there is grass missing above the tunnel, for some stupid reason, whenever I do UDI, that is the area no matter which way on the avenue I go, I end up on the RHW abovwe in that area)

dragonshardz

Those are some slick tunnel portals - where did you get them?

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

An interchange recreation that I cooked up for fun. Can't finish it though because of lack of pieces.

(Sorry for PNG)

The real-life analogue is here:
http://goo.gl/maps/YR71

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wiimeiser

Ah, Logan Motorway...
The Goodna Bypass is necessary, for the only way to expand the heavily used Ipswich Motorway would be to make it double decker...
I think make the existing road westbound-only and the new one eastbound-only.

Back on topic, the northern exit should be divided
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

Well, I was building it to its "As Built" specification, which had the Centenary as RHW-2 on both sides. It's also a little simplified so it fits.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Allein

mike3775

Nice compact cloverleaf there, I do see issues with it though if the RHW-10 gets alot of traffic with the curved MIS's.

DAB_City

What's that to the right? Seems a bit over-engineered but it's great :P
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Haljackey

Interesting setups A. Gates and mike3775!

jdenm8: Looks like a tricky interchange to create without improvising. Have you thought about doing that? I had a lot of success recreating this interchange and this one by improvising.

Anyway, I built a pure avenue interchange by using the ave MIS pieces.

Click for full size.

EDIT: With the area developed:

mike3775

Looks good Haljackey.  Nicely done mr interchange master  :)

Sadly I lost that last one I posted, the Res city developed the Pox(I screwed up and re-installed a piece that is suspected of causing it without first modifying it in reader) and I went to load the city today to make changes to it to better handle traffic, going from a 2 lane Avenue to a TLA-7 with a RHW-6C bridge, and a straightening of the RHW-6S and RHW-4's where they would go under the bridge(creating basically s curves), I noticed a crapload of missing props right away and knew the city and thus region was lost. 

But there is always a bright side, I get to redo the interchange the way I wanted to modify it right from the get go this time in that area.  Luckily it was only 45 game years lost this time

McDuell

I have to concur that there are some very interesting pictures and videos here.  :)

Haljackey, I espacially like your before/after development comparisons. Great work also with the interchanges you linked to. Interesting here is the 501-31 junction. I actually built a very similar interchange way back in the RHW 3 era but never saw this particular layout in reality before. Later I modified it when RHW 4 and the smooth MIS curves came out.

jdenm8: Maybe if you widen the whole interchange and split/combine the MIS after crossing the motorway, you could make use of the diagonal bridge functionality. ;)  (One of my interchanges below features such an overpass.)

Included in the next few pictures are some 'grandes complications' which mostly have nothing to do with reality. I did them for pure fun and/or just to test if this or that kind of interchange is feasible at all. After all, the rise of complexity is non-linear with each additional branch. And still, there is no beautification, just pure roadwork.

I'll start easy with a somehow special 4-way interchange  :D :

Here wanted to know if I could (ab-)use the diagonal bridge starters as on-slope pieces. It works insofar as at least the right of the two lanes has connecting paths and is UDI-able. The interchange itself is generally a 4-way with an integrated T-junction on the diagonal freeway.

A close-up of the overpass section:

I named this interchange 'The Yen', mainly because I know of no standard descriptions for full 5-way interchanges. And it does look a bit like the '¥' character.

This next interchange is something I'm quite a bit proud of. Originally, I wanted to try a new design for a 6-way in Cityscape and just started sketching out the first few ramps on paper. Right after finishing the drawing, I thought about modifying it to making it SC4-compatible.

>Here< is a bigger version (2152*1490)

Ok, we can still go further and add another freeway for a full-blown 8-way RHW madness. The next one is one of my most complicated interchanges so far. Of course, it features no weaving at all, and this is also one of the reasons for this complexity. This means also that once you take a wrong turn, you're in it and may well end up heading in a completely different direction at the end of the interchange than you originally intended.  $%Grinno$%

We'll start with the center part:

This is one of the branches:

Four branches plus one center equals one interchange  :D:

(All images are clickable for a resolution of 1600x1000.)

Have fun.  ;D

Edit: Fixed broken link.
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

mike3775

Good god man, if you ever become a highway engineer, please tell me which state employs you so I can avoid your interchanges, I got lost just trying to decipher that one  :)

(incidentally all of them are pretty sweet looking)

Haljackey

Umm...

Mind blown.

McDuell, you never fail to impress. Ever. That last image is pure carnage. I see 22 lanes for those branches. Insane.

How much trial and error did it take to come up with these? I know you're a RHW master but my goodness is this complicated and fantastic.

I have to agree that these designs aren't practical, but the fact that you made them with in SC4 means they can probably be scaled-down/stacked due to the lack of SC4-related limitations in the real world.

I could see that 6-way design existing, and the Yen and 8 lane setups are good examples for a couple collector-express highways interchanging with one-another along with a lot of local connections.

-

And regarding the 501 junction I made in my video, yes it exists. Its actually just a highway/arterial interchange, but it's free-flowing. I turned it into a highway-highway junction to show it's full potential.

Again, great work McDuell. great work.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

GDO29Anagram

&apls

Now I'm wondering how long until we have more than an Octochange...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Indiana Joe

McDuell, the interchange god, laughs at your pathetic highway layouts!  It might be many days before anyone regains enough confidence to post in this thread again.

Fantastic work there!

mike3775

Quote from: Indiana Joe on June 16, 2012, 05:28:37 PM
McDuell, the interchange god, laughs at your pathetic highway layouts!  It might be many days before anyone regains enough confidence to post in this thread again.

Fantastic work there!

I'll post a tough intersection to build

I see this intersection needing to be upgraded once development occurs on those two roads   :P

I agree with Indiana though, its going to be tough topping those interchanges

Tarkus

That.  Is.  Amazing.  An 8-way interchange?! :o  I cannot wait to see what you do with the next RHW release.

-Alex

MandelSoft

Quote from: McDuell on June 16, 2012, 03:14:18 PM
... Ok, we can still go further and add another freeway for a full-blown 8-way RHW madness...
Holy moly!

This must be the works of a madman!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE