• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

I assumed it was there to give space for the FARHW4-FAMIS transition--a nice way to make use of that very attractive piece (the RHW4-MIS transition is way too abrupt for a high-speed network imho).

Outstanding intersection again eggman121. I won't need any tips, though I thank you for the offer  :thumbsup:

pieman101

i made this interchange in one of my cities     
                                                                im sorry that the picture isnt good but oh well
[/img]
Derrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!!!!!  i post cuz i want to

wallasey

Eggman: I have just spent most of this evening replicating a intersection like yours....it didn't quite go to plan!

sunv123

Great job pieman!

There hasn't been much simple in our minds. We need simple. Here's what I call simple. (don't mind the yellow pause thingy, forgot to unpause. :P)

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

jmdude1

nice work sunv123. sometimes simplicity looks so good.

on a side note: if you search on the stex for 'pause thingy' you can get the yellow pause thingy remover. its great! also in the same search, i believe the remove minimize button is listed. its just as great.  :)

pieman101

Quote from: sunv123 on December 18, 2012, 02:06:52 PM
Great job pieman!

There hasn't been much simple in our minds. We need simple. Here's what I call simple. (don't mind the yellow pause thingy, forgot to unpause. :P)

i agree i did go all out with that interchange i think i should try something simpler
Derrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!!!!!  i post cuz i want to

eggman121

Quote from: noahclem on December 18, 2012, 05:02:30 AM
I assumed it was there to give space for the FARHW4-FAMIS transition--a nice way to make use of that very attractive piece (the RHW4-MIS transition is way too abrupt for a high-speed network imho).

My opinion exactly. There is a little bit of slope trickery that prevented me from using the RHW4 to MIS transition anyway.

Quote from: wallasey on December 18, 2012, 01:36:24 PM
Eggman: I have just spent most of this evening replicating a intersection like yours....it didn't quite go to plan!

I assume you are trying to replicate the first interchange I posted on the last page...Correct me if I'm wrong

There is a bit of trickery with that particular interchange, especially with the slopes and the Draggable Ramp Interfaces.
I recommend using a high tolerance slope mod like Ennedi's Mount slope mod for the slopes for this type of interchange if you are not using it already.
That interchange was one of the most technically challenging interchanges I have made so far. Keep at it and I'm sure you will make it in the end...No pun intended :thumbsup:         

Flatron

Just some interchanges inspired by what I've seen in italy(although italian interchanges are usually far more complex....):

1. you pay for the length of your travel on the autostrada in km, so an exit has to incorporate a toll booth.

2. This Interchange connects a toll-free strada statale with the autostrada

3. The 2-lane road connects the airport to the city and the autostrada

4. another interchange design I've so far only seen in italy...

vinlabsc3k

Good intersections Flatron. :thumbsup:

What part of Italy have u visited? ()what()

I use the last one and its variants very often in my cities. ;)

P.S.:
For reference:
Autostrada (A-xx) is Highway (M-xx in England)
Strada Statale (SS-xx) is as old Route 66 in USA or A-xx in England or D-xx in France
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Flatron

@vinlabsc3k: Well, nothing farther south than florence... (2011: Passo dello Stelvio -> Bormio -> Lago d'Iseo -> Levanto&Cinque Terre -> Firenze -> Lago di Garda; 2012: Alto Adige & Lago di Garda) And I am really fascinated by Trieste that we often passed by on the way to croatia. An interchange that really confuses me is the one in Bolzano, where the MeBo meets the A22
You also have many scenic highways like autostrada del sole from florence to bologna.
I guess the tollfree road in the second picture would be a raccordo autostradale or superstrada in real life...

M4346

I've always been intimidated by the RHW system and specifically the vast options for creating realistic interchanges and other such (complicated) phenomena.

But I thought I'd try a RHW interchange for the first time today (yes, after years of playing this game and using the NAM I finally put the MHW and its pre-made interchanges on the shelf!)

I thought I'd try something relatively simple: a SC4 recreation of the Olifantsfontein Interchange on the N1 between Centurion and Johannesburg, which is a half half clover / folded diamond interchange like this one.

The Olifantsfontein Interchange looks like this (courtesy of Google Maps) and can be found here.

Here is my attempt at it in SC4 (click for a slightly larger version):

I quite like the end result and have officially fallen in love with the RHW!  ;D

I'm not entirely happy with the MIS intersections on the Maxis Avenue, so if anyone has suggestions on how to improve that I'd appreciate it!

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

epicblunder

MIS can transition to a one way road just by dragging into it.  OWR can then transition into half of an avenue.  Shoot, you might be able to go from MIS straight to avenue.  But either way you can make those intersections on the avenue into a single avenue x avenue intersection on each side, and there's even puzzle pieces for the slip lanes.

prisonarius

any thoughts?

MandelSoft

Yup:

1. Use a slope mod. This area looks increddibly bumpy!
2. The curves on the highway are too sharp. There are smooth curves available for the MHW, you know.
3. Why is that MHW in a tunnel? Why not only sunken? This looks overly expensive. And why is there an avenue tunnel UNDERNEATH the sunken part?
4. The rest of the scene looks... well, bland... it lacks detail, trees and even buildings.

In brief, a lot of points where you can improve...

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

prisonarius

Quote from: MandelSoft on January 02, 2013, 02:36:00 AM
Yup:

1. Use a slope mod. This area looks increddibly bumpy!
2. The curves on the highway are too sharp. There are smooth curves available for the MHW, you know.
3. Why is that MHW in a tunnel? Why not only sunken? This looks overly expensive. And why is there an avenue tunnel UNDERNEATH the sunken part?
4. The rest of the scene looks... well, bland... it lacks detail, trees and even buildings.

In brief, a lot of points where you can improve...

Best,
Maarten

i am trying to do a screen capture to show traffic volumes and congestion, it originally was just a regular + avenue intersection. There is heavy industry further to the south and south east of the commercial district. I plan to fully develop everything around the intersection, just trying my best for land use efficiency and functional traffic flow. i dont use any mods except hole digger and sometimes a demand mod. 

MandelSoft

Well, a slope mod is highly recommended. This will level out most of the slopes, making them look way less bumpy and more realistic. True, it's harder to build roads on steep hills and such, but hey, you aren't afraid of a challenge! ;)  Real engineers have to cope with this too...

M4346

Quote from: epicblunder on January 01, 2013, 03:49:19 PM
MIS can transition to a one way road just by dragging into it. 

I gave this a shot and I think I prefer it to the original above. Have a look! ;D

I think the MIS-AVE intersection is a lot more realistic now.

At some stage I'll try doing TULEPs and slipways.  ()stsfd()
New Horizons Productions

MandelSoft

Something you can vastly improve is the overpass. Rather than just two onramps, you can use more gentle slopes with on-slope transition pieces, similar to this overpass:

M4346

The interchange it is based on - as captured by the Google Maps screenshots above (in this post) - is actually on a slope.

I'd like to replicate that, but (a) I'm still figuring out the RHW and MIS system and (b) have difficulty with the on-slope MIS pieces, being new to it all and what not! ;D

I want the interchange to be as wide as it is above, so I guess I can just place a very gentle slope and leave the intersections on the level ground?

Thanks for the input / advice / feedback!  :thumbsup:

M
New Horizons Productions

FrankU

Quote from: MandelSoft on January 02, 2013, 06:21:25 AM
Something you can vastly improve is the overpass. Rather than just two onramps, you can use more gentle slopes with on-slope transition pieces, similar to this overpass:

The disadvantage of this construction is that it is not realistic, in my opinion. In real life, at least in Dutch real life, the up and down ramps would be not bridges, but on earthen slopes (how do I say this in correct english?), because slopes made with ground material are much cheaper than made as bridges.