• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toblakai

Hello,

I've been away from Sc4 for a couple of years now. I used to post in the CAM forum in 2007 or something. I got fed up with the game due to bad plugins and a slow computer, but always got back to the game. Now I have a cleaned up plugin folder, a new computer and I decided to come back to posting as well. As a routine thing I updated my NAM and..... AHHH the sheer number of new highways, road types.... :-[. Ok, goodbeye old region with concrete maxis HW's, hello new region.

I immediately started to experiment with the new highways, since I always build those first in a city. Then proceded to this section to help me out, because I was keen on building realistic interchanges. I seriously needed help to reduce my interchange profiles. Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:. It's true pictures can say more than a 1000 words ;D. Here are my first attempts at building interchanges and off-ramps in my new cities:

First of a simple 6S 6S "European" off-ramp with Avenue overpass:

Well this isn't as hard as it looks. (famous last words... :)) 6 and 1/2 hours later I completed a 6s-6s to 8s interchange, rebuilt it from scratch 3 times to reduce the profile to less than 1/4 of my huge city:

This is an end of a 4s highway, close to an off-ramp:

A minimal profile 6s to 4s T-Interchange (took me forever to figure that one out, should have looked at some real world examples)

I'm still debating wether or not to put cosmetic road-top markings on my highways, there are as of yet no pieces to put under my overpasses. I'm sure the hardworking people of the NAM team have those planned for the future, but I'll Leave them bare for now.

Here is my DD-Highway - 6s  interchange. I built it before the above interchange. It ended up as a "mickey mouse". Still liked it enough not to rebuild it.

And some DD highway Off-Ramps:

I hope to post in other sections as well as my region develops. Kudos to the NAM team for all their hard work  &apls and for SC4 devotion for still having my account and being around.

Toblakai

Swordmaster

Not too shabby for someone who's been away from it all. Next step would be to use more smooth curves I would say.

Cheers
Willy

Kitsune

A 3 level 3 way cloverleaf + fly over... with the only weaving not occurring on the main highway. The fly over is for what would be the most heavily traveled ramp, and one of the loops will get a upgrade once L1 flyovers are available.

~ NAM Team Member

Toblakai

Great work Kitsune.

I see what you mean Swordmaster. Kitsune's interchange :thumbsup: has better curves than mine. I find the 45 degree mis ground-level curve to be a pain in the posterior to use. You can't plop it over a dragged portion of ground level 45 degree mis, you have to bulldoze one or two tiles of the curve I believe. Most of the time they are so close to the ramp that it destroys the ramp or the left over mis pieces loses contact with the starter, reverting to RHW-2. Unlike the 45 degree road curve you can't plop a RHW-2 piece in the corner to make it a smoooth curve. The piece also has trouble sliding over the starters of the ramps, making the interchange bigger than it has to be. Can you delete these starters without destroying the ramps?

Of course I have little experience with these new pieces, so I might use the wrong technique. Maybe my next city will need another big interchange and I will try it again, since apparently it can be done...

Toblakai

vinlabsc3k

Quote from: Toblakai on June 02, 2013, 10:25:05 AM
Great work Kitsune.

I see what you mean Swordmaster. Kitsune's interchange :thumbsup: has better curves than mine. I find the 45 degree mis ground-level curve to be a pain in the posterior to use. You can't plop it over a dragged portion of ground level 45 degree mis, you have to bulldoze one or two tiles of the curve I believe. Most of the time they are so close to the ramp that it destroys the ramp or the left over mis pieces loses contact with the starter, reverting to RHW-2. Unlike the 45 degree road curve you can't plop a RHW-2 piece in the corner to make it a smoooth curve. The piece also has trouble sliding over the starters of the ramps, making the interchange bigger than it has to be. Can you delete these starters without destroying the ramps?

Of course I have little experience with these new pieces, so I might use the wrong technique. Maybe my next city will need another big interchange and I will try it again, since apparently it can be done...

Toblakai

1st: Welcome back!! &apls
2nd: The starters are usually diagonal one-way or simple road, if you drag a strip from it you can destroy the starter and no the ramp. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find the right starting point and some ramps don't work but it's the better metod to avoid the starters. ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Toblakai

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there any way to make a smooth curve with the DD-RHW4 pieces? Those dragged 45 degree curves look awkward on a highway.

Toblakai

Swordmaster

No, unfortunately the only elevated smooth curves so far are the FlexFly piece and the Project Symphony material.

vinlabsc3k is right on the starters, it's easy to get rid of most of them by dragging RHW and/or rail across them and then removing it. But I would advise you not to try to build too tight. In real life, interchanges take up a lot of space to minimize speed limits in curves etc. Space is your friend ;)

Cheers
Willy

eggman121

My latest interchange. I'm sure that I have posted variants of this interchange before but this one is built to NAM 31.1 specifications and as such takes up less space.

-eggman121

Haljackey

k808j

Excellent job everyone. We may start experimenting with the RHW and NWM more.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Wiimeiser

Gentlementlemen, what is wrong with this picture?

Also:

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Flatron

Here's one of mine:

It's still under construction and I'll have to sculpt the terrain a little bit. the bridge might be replaced by something more fitting...

kbieniu7

Nice work! You had quite a little space avaible!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Flatron

And that is it with local access ramps and secondary roads added, as well as some forest :D

sim_link

Ooh wow, nice work in such tight space! Love how it came together. ;D

Swordmaster

Nice decorations as well!

Cheers
Willy

Kergelen

Nice work in this difficult terrain.

Links to SC4 websites

Haljackey

Nifty little TuLEP/NWM setup:

weixc812

Just wanna share my creation  ;D

Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here