• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: The Deltan Empire - 30/01/13 Update 32 - Kanalka Bay Bridge

Started by apeguy, January 01, 2012, 01:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allein

Very nice seaport and industrial area &apls

Also great use of the NAM and especialy the RHW :thumbsup:

apeguy

Hello again, it's time for update 21! Today I'll be showing you one of Kanalka City's most iconic streets, Sunset Avenue. Along this road are high-end boutiques, luxury offices, film studios and spacious apartments. The street first became famous in the years before the Alterra War, when many of the city's socialites, business tycoons and fashionistas had their homes and businesses along this road. The street managed to keep its prestiege and attraction as the 20th Century progressed, when the city started to expand rapidly outwards and the M169 Motorway was built right nearby. The Avenue became even more famous when Imposter Studios opened its doors in the late 2060's. But before we cruise down Sunset Avenue, we have the replies:

Quote from: Framly on June 13, 2012, 10:40:48 AM
Great work on this area! I really like how you managed the RHW in your City &apls

Keep it on :thumbsup:

Thanks! ;D I'm pleased you liked my RHW network, we'll soon be looking at it in greater detail.

Quote from: Framly on June 14, 2012, 02:13:02 PM

Where did you find the AVE4 - MIS connection in this picture??
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/8014/kcc142.jpg

Many thanks for your help! :)

As for the piece you're looking for, it's included in the latest RHW release, under Avenue/RHW pieces. ;)

Quote from: WannGLondon on June 14, 2012, 09:04:37 AM
Awesome industrial area and your use of the RHW is so good. Love that port area too. I find ports to be so condusive to the prosperity to many major cities so I always love making them in my cities.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked my port, because there's a lot more of it to see in the next tile across, which you'll get to see in a few weeks time. ;)

Quote from: noahclem on June 14, 2012, 11:29:24 AM
Wow, I've missed a lot! Great updates  &apls  I particularly like the RHW work  :thumbsup:

Thankyou! ;D ;D

Quote from: eldaldo on June 14, 2012, 01:17:41 PM
Wow! that harbor night shot!  also, I really liked the industrial are locks in your last update.  keep up the great work!

I'm pleased you liked that night shot, to be honest I almost didn't include one, but I decided that no update's complete without one. ;D ;D

Quote from: nbvc on June 14, 2012, 09:35:47 PM
Nice update. I like the Creighton dock. :thumbsup:

Thanks! ;D ;D

Quote from: A. Gates on June 17, 2012, 03:29:33 AM
Very nice seaport and industrial area &apls

Also great use of the NAM and especialy the RHW :thumbsup:

Cheers! Like I already mentioned, soon we'll be taking a look at the tile's RHW system in greater detail. :) :)

Now for the pics:

(facing east) We start our tour in the South-West corner of the tile, in the up-and-coming neighborhood of Sunwood Green. This neighborhood was once made up entirely of middle-class suburban housing, which made the area a desireable place to live even before Sunset Boulevard's (The AVE-4, not the TLA-5) rise to fame. Now a lot of the area has been rebuilt with high-end condominiums and apartments, as well as a large variety of luxury shops and boutiques.

(facing east) On the eastern edge of Sunwood Green is the Arthur Bogg Retirement Home. Named after a famous radio campaigner who tried to get the young people of K.C. to respect their elders, stop drinking and taking drugs, and stay in education during the 1970's. His campaign was unfortunately unsuccessful, mainly due to the fact that the ultra-cool youth population didn't want to listen to "some old killjoy with too much time on his hands". Instead, the 1970's saw a slight increase in alcohol and drugs use, and a small increase in crime. It wasn't all for nothing though. The former Holladay Park Plaza building, shut down in 1968, was converted into a retirement home and named in Arthur Bogg's honour. It was Barrierland's tallest and largest retirement home when it opened, and remains so to this day.

(facing west) Along Sunset Avenue are many boutiques as well as offices for film studios and various media-related companies. There are also luxury apartments and townhouses along this street. Some of the top-floor apartments along Sunset Avenue have exclusive access to the roof gardens, perfect for socialites who want the perfect party.

(facing west) Behind the penthouses and boutiques of Sunset Avenue are the apartment rows and townhouses of Berkley Terrace. The townhouses were built in 1940, while the apartments are slightly older, and were built in 1936 and 1939. Many of the city's best-known names in television like on Berkley Terrace.

(facing east) Moving slightly north we come to Imposter Studios. Opened in 2068, Imposter Studios has become The Empire's biggest film producer almost overnight, and is a well-known name in film all over the world. It's founder, Dan Imposter is one of the Empire's biggest celebrities, and is just as famous for directing films as he is for starring in them. Dan Imposter has one of those personalities that everyone really loves and really hates. He's self-loving, selfish and obsessed with money, fame and of course himself -- much like everyone else in the K.C. film industry. The studio is a massive, sprawling complex, with enough studios to film every scene of a film at once, and enough space for big, open-air sets, like the one being shot right now, Cows vs. Mechs 3: Farmer Joe's return. The city set currently under construction is for the opening scene of Imposterman, Dan Imposter's latest film, starring him, and showing everyone how great he would be as a superhero. Nothing like shameless self-promotion to make a good film.

(facing east) Continuing north we arrive at the GooberCorp Centre. GooberCorp is a major company that specializes in Pharmaceuticals, Alcohol, Real Estate and numerous other fields. The Company has its headquarters in Downtown K.C. GooberCorp built this convention centre in 2010 to showcase new products and developments within the company. Every year they host a large trade show, which draws over 2000 people each year. Next to it is the Alligator Building, headquarters of Alligator, a well-known cosmetics company founded in Kanalka City in 1879. It's founder, Tabitha Alsop named the company after the Alligators that inhabited the swamp near to the farm she grew up on. The company experienced rapid growth after the turn of the 20th Century, and the make-up they made was popular nationwide. The building itself, despite its modern, contemporary look, was built in 1932. It is said that the building was designed much like the company it housed - trendsetting, different, cutting-edge. In many ways the building was ahead of its time, and even today it stands out from its surroundings.

(facing north) Near the north end of Sunset Avenue are many high-end offices and numerous mansions, many of which are owned by movie stars and film producers. In the pic you can see the Channel 69 Television Studios, famous for their 24-hour news show, bringing the latest celebrity news from the Entertainment Capital of the world and beyond.

(facing east) Running Parallel with Sunset Avenue is Meridian Road, so called because it runs down the geographical centre of the city, bisecting it North-South. Along the road are a mix of fabulous mansions and smaller houses for middle-class executives and their families, all of which have nice, big gardens and room for at least two cars. The area around Meridian Road and Sunset Avenue has one of the lowest crime rates in the city, but still higher than the national average.

(facing west) Further along Meridian Road are the aptly named Meridian Condominiums. If you want to be near to Sunset Avenue and the celebrities that inhabit it, but can't afford the houses there, then your best chance is here. The apartments may be a little small for what you pay, but the shops, the nightlife and the sights to see in the area more than make up for it. Construction on the complex started in 2016 and ended in 2022 after slight delays.

(facing east) Sunset Park is a small, pleasant green filled with deciduous trees that marks the northern end of Sunset Avenue. Here, two grid networks that were once seperate meet, which is evident in the shift to the east Meridian Road does as it heads north. The Park was opened in 1923, and the size was reduced slightly when Junction 4 of the M169 was built in the late 1960's. Extra trees were added to the park when the concrete soundwalls were added in 1986.

(facing east) Moving beyond Sunset Avenue and Sunset Park is the city's oldest surviving stadium, Bannerman Park. Named after George Bannerman, the 1920's owner and manager of the Kanalka City Destroyers, who led them to national victory in 1926. The stadium was completed in 1943, and was used by the destroyers until 2003, when they moved to the Kingston Stadium. The reason for the move was because the stadium was too small and showing its age, and despite the depression at the time the club had enough money to build the new stadium, and so the move took place at a ceremony that celebrated 60 years at Bannerman Park. Since then the stadium has only been used occasionally by the Deltan Baseball Association to host games between smaller, less popular teams, as well as hosting many of the national secondary school league games, mainly finals. Recently there's been a lot of talks about converting the stadium into a new indoor arena for the city.

(facing west) Across the road from Bannerman Park is Bannerman Close. This small, upscale enclave is today home to some of the city's baseball players, as well as many important figures in the Deltan Baseball Association, whose headquarters are in the top right of the pic. The large mansion in the bottom left of the pic was once the home of George Bannerman, and is still inhabited by the Bannerman family.

(facing north) Still moving north, we come to Central Avenue. We are getting close to the Kempton Yards industrial area now. To the right of the pic is the Kanalka City Young Offender's Prison, where all the youngest gang members and other unruly teenagers come to be rehabilitated. Currently the Prison is burtsing at the seams, and so many of the inmates only get a fraction of the sentence they should. The Prison is mostly ineffective at preventing crime, as many gangs have roots in the Prison Management, mainly to make sure their youngest initiates don't turn straight. Next to the Prison is the Kempton Police Station, which also houses one of Kanalka City's five Riot Squads.

(facing north) Just East of Kempton Police Station is a rare sight in the Empire Today. Small pockets of Oil were first discovered beneath Kanalka City in 1935, and Kempton Oilfield was the first to be built. It taps into the largest known pocket of Oil beneath the city, and until the 2030's there was a steady stream of oil from the site. However, the Oilfield was reduced in size during the late 1960's due to the construction of the M169, and due to the crash in oil demand in the 2010's, many of the derricks were removed. Today, as the Oil supply dwindles, it is likely that in the next few years the oilfield will be cleared. This Oilfield is owned by United Southern Oil, and is one of three similar oilfields in the city.

(facing west) Opposite the Oilfield are five apartment blocks, built in the 1950's to house the workers on the oilfield, most of the foreign. Today, with the mostly autmoated oilfields, the apartments house low-income residents who work in the factory areas as well as the port.

(facing north) To finish off, a night pic of the Alder Office Park. Named after the street that runs next to it east-west, Alder Street.

That does it for this update, as always comments are encouraged, and constructive criticism is appreciated. Next time we'll be Taking a trip down the M169 Motorway, the busiest road in Barrierland, and taking a look at some of the interchange designs. See you then! ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

RickD

Hmm, I liked the first Cows vs. Mechs movie, but the second one was disappointing.   ;D

Great update. I like the oilfield, but the houses there seem a bit too close together. Looks like you could shake hands with your next house neighbor through the window.  ::)

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

rooker1

In pics two and five and can see what looks like a highway with collector lanes.  Very, very well done.  I'd love to see more to see what you have done.
Great updates, great pics, thanks for sharing.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

apeguy

Okay, here's update 22! Due to some computer problems in the last few weeks, Windows had to be reinstalled on my computer, which is why this update has been delayed. This update is about the M169, the motorway that runs through the centre of Kanalka City, and serves the Dowtown and its surrounding areas. The M169 starts near the south coast of K.C., where it deviates from the M105, which continues to follow the coastline west. The M169 is Barrierland's busiest road, and Kanalka City's only nearby road link to the mainland via the Kanalka Bay Bridge, which we'll look at soon enough. The majority of the Motorway was built between in the late 1960's and the 1970's. Now for the replies...

Quote from: RickD on June 20, 2012, 01:38:54 AM
Hmm, I liked the first Cows vs. Mechs movie, but the second one was disappointing.   ;D

Great update. I like the oilfield, but the houses there seem a bit too close together. Looks like you could shake hands with your next house neighbor through the window.  ::)

Hi Raphael, thanks for dropping in. I see what you mean about the prefabs next to the oilfield. To be honest though, I imagine a lot of low-wealth housing projects around the world are built close together like that to save room. I just zoned some mid-density residential and they just grew like that. And don't worry about Cows vs. Mechs 3 being bad, a bigger budget and more exploding mechs will make it the best C.V.M. film yet. ;D ;D

Quote from: rooker1 on June 20, 2012, 04:43:51 AM
In pics two and five and can see what looks like a highway with collector lanes.  Very, very well done.  I'd love to see more to see what you have done.
Great updates, great pics, thanks for sharing.

Well you're in luck, because we're looking at that same highway today. ;D ;D I've also made a couple of last-minute additions, in the form of light towers and dirt lots in the median. It looked a little bare before. Hopefully you'll like it. :) :)

Now for the pics...

(facing north) The first part of the M169 on our Motorway tour is Junction 2. It's a standard Parclo A-4, and connects the Motorway with the Kanalka City Southern Expressway, which continues east through the outskirts of the city centre and terminates in Brockencyde. The proximity of the Ethnictown-Perivale Roundabout on the southbound side and the intersection with Sunset Avenue on the Northbound side causes some major congestion on the Southern Expressway, whereas congestion on the M169 itself is no longer a major problem thanks to the collector-express system, which is in place between Junction 1A and Junction 5, the busiest section of the Motorway.

(facing north) A closer look at the loop on the northbound side. This junction was built in the early 1960's, when the K.C. Section of the M169 was built. The small heap of rock and gravel is the leftover debris from a recent re-alignment of the loop ramps. As you can see someone took the turn a little too sharp, or they were ran off the road by an impatient, aggressive driver, (which there are a lot of in K.C.) or maybe both.

(facing east) Just half a mile north of Junction 2 is one of the motorway's more unique junctions. Junction 3 is a combination of a standard Parclo A-2 on the Northbound side, and a Star Junction on the Southbound side. Originally, the Southbound ramps intersected with the Avenue on either side of the underpass, which connects Ethnictown with Sunset Avenue the west side of the city. Due to severe congestion, the southbound ramps were elevated and extended to the next road across, which had a higher capacity. This allowed motorists quicker access to Ethnictown and the West Side of the Harbour, and kept traffic off the smaller avenue.

(facing west) Another half a mile further north is Junction 4. This interchange is a compact, high-capacity trumpet, and directly serves Ethnictown, Tilford Estates and the West Side Waterfront. Despite its large footprint, there was not much demolition required to make way for Junction 4. Only a couple of small commercial buildings, 1 side road, a small portion of Sunset Park and Car Parks for Bannerman Park Stadium were cleared. The large area of mud and water in the middle was created in 2034, in an effort to make the M169 more environmentally freindly. This water level in this miniature swamp can fluctuate rapidly. There hasn't been much rain in K.C. this week, so the water level is relatively low right now.

(facing west) The ramps connect with the city streets on the southbound side of the Motorway. To the left is the apartments and markets of Ethnictown, while on the right are the large apartment complexes of Tilford Estates.

(facing north) Continuing north we arrive at Junction 5. This is the largest of the interchanges in terms of area. The collector-express system ends at Junction 5, as there wasn't enough space or funds to extend it any further. This is one of the busiest interchanges on the M169, as it's where the K.C. Western Ring Road meets the M169, which is also very busy.

(facing north) Moving slightly north the ramps come into view. The highway to the left is the K.C. Western Ring Road. The smaller ramps give northbound traffic access to the port. At Junction 5 the M169 changes direction, and heads east towards North Point and the old Downtown. The interchange is basically two partial y interchanges built together. The railway line running underneath the interchange is the Kanalka City mainline, which goes full circle around the city before re-joining the Barrierland Mainline.

(facing west) Just beyond Junction 5 is Junction 6. This is nothing more than a simple half-diamond, built mainly to allow southbound (now westbound) access to the port, as well as quick access to the New Downtown. There can be delays on this junction because of the level crossing right next to it, as well as the Junction's proximity to the Downtown area. The Atlas Motors Convention Centre is built just opposite Junction 6, and major events at the centre can cause severe delays at this Junction, especailly since Junction 6 would be the junction that most people coming from the mainland would use to get to and from the centre.

(facing north) Moving east we come to Junction 7. This roundabout interchange is a vital link between the Old Downtown and the industrial areas of North Point, as well as providing a quick route to these areas for commuters. The Junction was opened in 1971, and has been operating at capacity since then. Despite long queues during rush hour, the interchange is mostly adequate, and no major upgrades are needed.

(facing east) On the East side of Junction 7 is an extension, built in 2005. The main reason for the construction of the extension was to releive some of the congestion on the Downtown Streets, by giving motorists going to and from Marina Gardens a quicker route to the M169, as well as a more direct route back to Marina Gardens, thus avoiding the busy Downtown Streets. The extension was also built as a quick route from the motorway to Lincoln Station, which helps to further reduce congestion in the Old Downtown.

(facing south) Beyond Junction 7 the M169 makes its way north and crosses the small inlet at Washington Key. The Bridges were built in 1975, and had a major refit in the 2020's, to ensure the bridges won't need replacing until the 2090's. There are no more interchanges on the M169 in Kanalka City heading north, after the Kanalka Bay bridge there are a few miles of coastal swamps before the M169 reaches Delta City, the Capital of the entire Empire.

(facing south) And to finish off, a night pic of Junction 2.

Well I hope you enjoyed this update, as always comments are encouraged and appreciated, as is constructive criticism. Now you've seen everything on this tile, we'll be moving onto the next tile, the western parts of K.C. But before we move onto the next part of Kanalka City, next week we'll be making a return to Hasbury Key to take a look at the progress that's been done on the South-East Hasbury Project. See you then! ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

art128

Good work with the highway system, really well set! ( psshh, I just spot an accident on picture eight, seems like a truck is going mad in the traffic. :P )
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Framly

Nice work on the RHW ;) I really like your interchanges :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

RickD

Great Highway.  &apls I've been staring at the pictures, thinking something was wrong. Then I realized, you are using the LHD version. Stupid me.  $%Grinno$%
My name is Raphael.

rooker1

WOW, fantastic.  You have some very interesting network setups.
I think I'll be borrowing some ideas. ;)

Call me Robin, please.

WannGLondon

You are a master at incorporating large highways and roads in your city. Great work here. &apls
Call me Warren.

apeguy

I imagine some of you are wondering what's happened to this MD. Basically my desktop computer is starting to show its age, and rather than carry on with a computer that finds it increasingly difficult to run SC4, soon I'll be buying a new one with better specs. From what I've been reading on this site about ideal specs for SC4, I'm going to find a computer with a powerful dual-core processor, 6-8GB of RAM and at least 1TB HD space.  So don't worry, this MD is not dead, I have no intention of stopping the Deltan Empire anytime soon.

I have everything backed up and ready to transfer onto a new computer when I buy one, which should be relatively soon. In the meantime, I've installed SC4 onto a laptop I bought off a freind, and I intend to do a little side project about a small city-state that isn't part of the Deltan Empire, but has close economic links to Deltania. So just to recap, this MD  is not dead. It may still be a couple more weeks before any new updates are posted, but they will come eventually.

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Cidwm

apeguy

So the Deltan Empire finally returns after a longer-than expected wait. The reason for the longer delay is mainly due to the decorating that's been going on in my house, making my computer inaccessible for the last couple of months, and so I've been away from SC4 temporarily. But I guess it's happened to most people here at SC4D at some point, real life just gets in the way.

This update is the first on a new tile, the north-west quarter of Kanalka City, which is west of Kanalka City Centre. Today we'll be visiting the northern ghetto of Kanalka City, where crime and depravity run rife, as well as the port areas that surround it. But first, we have the long-awaited replies:

Quote from: supremec on July 03, 2012, 09:49:08 AM
Amazing  :thumbsup:
I love the last pic with traffic jam  &apls

Thanks, there are more highways to see in K.C., but they won't be quite as busy as that. :)

Quote from: art128 on July 03, 2012, 10:22:17 AM
Good work with the highway system, really well set! ( psshh, I just spot an accident on picture eight, seems like a truck is going mad in the traffic. :P )

You'll find that mad drivers are worryingly common on Kanalka City's roads. :D Glad you enjoyed the update. ;D

Quote from: Framly on July 03, 2012, 01:44:40 PM
Nice work on the RHW ;) I really like your interchanges :)

Thanks! ;D ;D

Quote from: RickD on July 06, 2012, 01:59:16 AM
Great Highway.  &apls I've been staring at the pictures, thinking something was wrong. Then I realized, you are using the LHD version. Stupid me.  $%Grinno$%

I know what you mean. When I've made other parclos in the past by following the RHW tutorials I've only realized when they're finished that I forgot to mirror them for LHD. Fortunately I didn't make that mistake here, otherwise building the M169 would have taken quite a long time. :D

Quote from: rooker1 on July 06, 2012, 04:16:28 AM
WOW, fantastic.  You have some very interesting network setups.
I think I'll be borrowing some ideas. ;)

I'm pleased that you like my highway that much. ;D Hopefully you'll enjoy this update as well. :) :)

Quote from: WannGLondon on July 08, 2012, 10:47:45 AM
You are a master at incorporating large highways and roads in your city. Great work here. &apls

Cheers! ;D ;D

Now let's go back to Kanalka City...

(facing north) We start our tour in the north-east corner of the tile. As the increase of cargo and the advent of containerization meant that the old port was undersized and ill-equipped to deal with the container ships that had become the norm after the Alterra War, construction on the New Port began in 1952. By 1967 the new container port had reached its current size, and meant that once again Kanalka City was a competitive port on the Deltan Coast.

(facing south) When the new container port was built, numerous factories and industrial areas sprung up around it, and this district that the new port and its surroundings made up was appropriately named Newport. The container port is currently the 12th largest in the country, and the largest in Barrierland.

(facing south) The new port doesn't just consist of container services. There is also a dedicated RORO (Roll-on, Roll-off) port, used mainly to transport cars in and out of the city. The two main companies that use this dock are Lockhart and Quicksilver, both of which are based in Barrierland. The County has one of the highest rates of car ownership in the country, and so automobile demand is always high.

(facing south) Moving further west we come to the Oil Terminal. It's owned and run by U.S.O. (United Southern Oil, you may remember seeing their headquarters in Downtown K.C.) and was opened in 1965. While the Port only sees a handful of ships a week, as demand for Catalan Sea Oil continues to decline, U.S.O. still continues to scrape a profit, and so the terminal has survived the last 5 decades of Rapidly declining oil prices. It is said that the only way U.S.O. continues to make a profit is by bribing government officials, as one investigation found that the company only pays on average £5 of corporate tax a year. This investigation was then shut down quickly on the grounds of being "too intrusive and unimportant to be continued". Yeah, right.

(facing west) Moving inland now, to the factories and industrial yards of West Portside. Here we can see the K.C. Western Ring Road as it makes its way west, running parallel with the port.

(facing north) Further south is the Portside Rail Depot, built around the same time as the Old Port. As you can see it's built on the spur of Kanalka City Main Line, which continues west. The spur heads slightly north towards the U.S.O. Storage Depot, and rejoins the mainline about a mile west of the depot. You can see numerous large warehouses constructed during the 1930's and 40's, which were on the outskirts of the city at the time, but have now been completely swallowed up by it.

(facing north) This is the Portside Interchange, the main interchange for freight traffic heading to the New Port. while it also serves the nearby residential areas, the traffic using this interchange is mostly freight trucks. To the west is the edge of the U.S.O. Storage Depot. Overlooking the interchange is the J.K. Bolton Warehouse, built in 1946.

(facing north) Making up a sizeable proportion of Newport is the U.S.O. Storage depot, where oil from Barrierland and the Catalan Sea is stored. Oil is transported to and from the facility by both ship and train, which use the large railyard next to the depot. The Depot is bisected by the Western Ring Road, with Portside to the east and the Westpoint Docks to the west. (Which we'll see in a later update)

(facing north) There is a large amount of open space on the western edge of the Depot. Originally, there were plans to expand the depot with more tanks, but after the Oil Crash of the late 2010's these expansion plans were scrapped. Now these open waste areas serve as rubbish dumps, drug dealing haunts and ideal places for crime families to solve their "problems".

(facing north) Heading back east two large buildings come into view. On the left is an R.C.A. (Royal Cromwell Arms) factory. Founded in 1797, R.C.A. supplied the Deltan Army with large numbers of firearms for the Taboran Wars, (1760's to 1850's) the Delta War (1896-1900) and the Globe-spanning Alterra War. (1935-47) This factory was built at the start of the war, to help keep up demand for rifles. It's location was chosen due to the large number of low-wage jobs required, which would be filled easily thanks to the new housing projects to the west having just been completed. Although the company is smaller than it once was, it still produces high-quality shotguns and rifles, mainly for private use. Next to it is a Moriaty Department store, which has occupied the building since 2023. The building was constructed in 1945 as a warehouse.

(facing east) We now move into the Northern Ghetto areas. Most of these apartment towers and tenements were built during the Alterra War to house those from Barrierland whose homes had been destroyed by bombing raids, as well as refugees from other Allied Countries. There is a large Hispanic community here, many of whom are descended from those who fled to Deltania during the Alterra War when the neighboring country of Serberno Tikina was being ravaged by relentless attacks on its eastern borders. The large road to the right is Central Avenue, the very same road which runs through the mansions and ritzy condos of Marina Gardens, and the gleaming skyscrapers of Downtown K.C.

(facing south) This is Mayfair Road, which runs along the northern edge of the ghetto, where grimy apartments meet derelict oil tanks. While the undesirable living conditions make this area bad enough, the Northern Ghetto also suffers from an extremely high crime rate, mainly due to gang activity. The area is home to Los Carnales, a street gang made up mostly of local teens, many of which are of Hispanic descent and whose families come from Serberno Tikina. The Gang is run by Raul De Santa, youngest son of Ignacio De Santa, head of the crime family of the same name. (Which also originates from Serberno Tikina) Unfortunately this gang activity can cause tension between the local communities, which in turn makes this area one of the worst places in the city to live in.

(facing south) In the heart of the Ghetto is Mayfair Station, which serves both the mainline and the K.C. Subway. A lot of shootings and muggings occur here, as well as carjackings, which may explain why the public car park is so empty. A train station was originally built here in 1957, while the subway station wasn't built until 1970, but the current building was completed in 2009.

(facing south) North of the apartment blocks are the railyards of Newport, as well as the rail terminals for the Oil Depot. You can see that some apartments were torn down to make room for more oil tanks, as demand increased in the 1960's and 70's. Not only does this fill the Ghetto with the smell of crude oil, but it also presents a massive fire hazard to the nearby residents, however many of them don't have to choice to move elsewhere.

(facing north) The Juarez Towers is a large complex of two low-rise buildings and two taller towers, all built between 1956 and 1958. Tower C is the tallest building in the complex, and the tallest in Newport and the Northern Ghetto. Residents lucky enough to live on the top floors of Towers C and D are treated to unparalleled views of overgrown swamps, run-down housing estates, ugly factories and monotonous oil tanks. I guess something has to attract people here. In between Towers C and B is the top portion of a large underground strip joint. Maybe that's why people live here.

(facing west) On the other side of Central Avenue are numerous seedy businesses, as well as a large Police Station to maintain at least some law and order in this part of Kanalka City. Just behind these shops is the swamps.

(facing north) Making up a significant part of the Northern Ghetto is the Sellafield Estate, which was built between 1949 and 1955. It's surrounded by other shops and offices, most of which were built during the late 1950's. The small expansion to the south side was built in the early 1960's. The whole estate is bisected by Central Avenue which terminates next to the Tephra-Cola Bottling Plant. Tephra-Cola was established in 1976, and started selling in Deltania in 1994. This Plant was opened in 2005, and caters to Deltania and a couple of neighboring countries.

(facing west) Near the Sellafield Housing Estate is the Trading Estate, which is occupied mainly by home improvement stores. You can also see the Sellafield Secondary School opposite the bottling plant, and near the top-left corner is the Quicksilver Motors Factory. After the company's decline in the second half of the 20th Century, this smaller factory was built in 1999, and while the company still survives, it's a mere shadow of what it once was. Today the company produces only a few dozen cars a year, mainly built-to-order.

(facing north) A night shot of Mayfair Road Industrial Estate. In the pic is the San Carlo Sounds Radio Station.

(facing south) To finish off, a night pic of the Sellafield-Newport Tunnel's Northern Portal. This tunnel was built in the 1980's to eliminate congestion on the Portside Interchange by giving drivers from the Northern Ghetto an alternate route to the Port. Above it is the pipeline connecting the Newport Oil Terminal with the U.S.O. Storage Depot.

Well that's it for this update, next time we're going to see how the South-East Hasbury Project is shaping up. See you then! ;D ;D

RickD

Great to see you back. And what a huge update. Wow! But I enjoyed reading the descriptions. You are creating a very believable world.
My name is Raphael.

noahclem

Awesome work on the last couple updates and glad to see you back  &apls &apls  Your highways are fantastic and the oil port area looks perfect--I hope to borrow some ideas from that one. Keep it up  :thumbsup:

nbvc

Swordmaster

Wow, big chunk to bite in. Railways are pretty decent in terms of realism. The nightlight pictures stand out, though. Very good.

Cheers
Willy