• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Söderland, a skandinavian region

Started by Flatron, January 02, 2012, 05:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunv123

God Jul Söderland! Merry Christmas to all my american friends.

That tree looks a little bare though. :P
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Flatron

Thanks for your kind words. The tree is actually from our garden and as every year my dad tweaked it a little with glue etc(cutting out 50cm whithout any branch), which is kind of traditional in my area where most people used to be poor workers at the glassworks and nobody could afford a perfect tree.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 A holiday in Austria

1.1 Welcome to Kornneuburg*, a town of 30'000 on the banks of the danube, the best river in the world.

1.2 This is the old town with the central square, Hauptplatz and the Church of our Lady's Ascension, Pfarrkirche Mariä Himmelfahrt.

1.3 on the edge of the old town, where 19th century devellopments happened lays the Volksgarten, a public garden.

1.4 A closeup of the Hauptplatz, where the tram to and from Vienna stops. Edit: And where you can buy Sachertorte and Wiener Melange and Manner's Wafers and all the rest of it.
I hope you like this trip to austria as I plan to extend it. ;D (atm. I don't enjoy Söderland :()

*no connection with real world Kornneuburg that goes further than that both cities are on the danube.

Schulmanator

Ich mag Österreich!

The home to the incomparable Zotter chocolates! :D :D :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

vortext

Lovely city!  &apls

Also great job with the BATs, I assume those will be released eventually.  ::)  :D

Keep it up!  :thumbsup:

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

benedict

Your trip to Austria is fantastic! Although I do miss Söderland a little bit while you were there.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Swordmaster

Wow, interesting views. I really enjoy that square in the last image.

Cheers
Willy

Flatron

Yeah, I didn't have too much time for SC4 in the last months(no trip to austria atm.), but now I'm back in Söderland. I have since installed a seasonal Tree-controller and therefore, we can't go back to Jönköping :(

Here's a teaser from our new point of attention: Jarlsån, a City of 55.000 in the West of Söderlands Län.

You can see the river Askån, literally ash river that runs along the old town with Västerköpings Domkyrka(belongs to svenska kyrkan) and the catholic church(at the market square)
Thanks for visiting :D

riiga

Nice city!  :thumbsup:

I'm a bit curious about how you decided on the name of the city though. It just so happens that my first city ever shown in an MD was called Västerköping.

Flatron

@Riiga: The thing is, the City is in the western part of my region, I wanted to keep the köping thing and yeah, that's how I came up with that name. Funny thing is, that just in the moment I had saved the update, I remembered, that you had a Västerköping in Österköpingsregionen. If you want, I can of course change the name to something else. I don't want to plagiatize your ideas, but it's hard to invent placenames in a language I never learned at school. I'll think about it.
Aunt Edith wants to announce that I changed the name to Jarlsån.

riiga

It's fine. There are cities in real life that share a name.  ;)

Flatron

Update 22: The City of Jarlsån
Hej allihoppa! :)

22.1 If you travel to Jarlsån by rail, you arrive at Jarlsån Centralstation, a great building in Funkis style. On the right you can see the famous hotel "Järnvägshotellet"(at the time they built it, Railway-hotel was a good name)

22.2 If you -on the other hand- come by car, and are travelling in south-north direction, the first important thing you see of Jarlsån (will be treated in the next update ;D) is not one of those office buildings but...

22.3 If you decide to stay on the E22, you'll bypass the town in the east and maybe gather the industrial estate behind the trees

22.4 until you leave the bypass at the exit Jarlsån-Centrum where you see the IKEA-store at Drottnings Kurva (the queen's curve) where the Kings fiancée had a little accident with her bavarian sportscar in 1984.

22.5 In the northern industrial estate, there's also tekniska högskolan, a university of applied sciences.

Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment
Greetings from snowy bavaria(I've been skiing on the mountain that's 23km from here this morning for the 42nd. time in this winter)

benedict

I always love the trips to your cities, particularly when the focus is transport.

Flatron

Update 23: Trams(Spårväger)
Hej from Jarlsån.

23.1 In Västermalm, a former working-class quarter, the central square is surrounded by tram-rails. In this picture, you can see that someone from the transport authority has lots of humour:D

23.2 In front of the railway station, the trams enter a tunnel that goes to the northern parts of Jarlsån.

23.3 Here, the tram crosses the river Askån between gamla staden and Västermalm.

23.4 The eastern industrial area is also reachable by tram.

@ benedict: I'm pleased to hear that you like my style. I try to build transit networks as I would like them as a passenger/citizen. This can sometimes result in big expanses, but if money doesn't matter... ;D

vortext

Nice recent updates! Pleasant city blocks and good use of the GLR! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

RickD

Very nice tram system. I like the central square with the tram circle. On the second picture it looks like the tram is diving right into the river. It would look better if you would place the tunnel entrance a few tiles before the river crossing.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Schulmanator

Nicely done. It has an authentic feel to it for sure.  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

art128

Wonderful work on the tram line. I like how it just goes on the street, roads and avenues.

And indeed, that tramway driver is a little humorist one!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Flatron

Update 24: Källhäll and Askesjön
Today, we're going to have a look at Källhäll, a small village just north of Jarlsån, on the shore of Askesjön.

24.1 coming from Jarlsån, your regional train will take the single track to the left to reach Källhäll, while highspeed-trains continue straight on and pass through a tunnel, leaving Källhäll aside.

24.2 you will exit the train at Källhälls little station and walk to the small village centre.

24.3 on the way, you'll pass along the nice single-family houses that were built from the 20th century on, some as permanent residences, some as summer houses for stressed townsfolk.

24.4 and here it is, right at the outlet of the lake, Källhäll.

Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment. I'll try to respond.
Quote from: vortext on April 04, 2013, 04:51:35 AM
Nice recent updates! Pleasant city blocks and good use of the GLR! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. :)

Quote from: RickD on April 04, 2013, 05:16:10 AM
Very nice tram system. I like the central square with the tram circle. On the second picture it looks like the tram is diving right into the river. It would look better if you would place the tunnel entrance a few tiles before the river crossing.
Thank you. It is now fixed and will be featured in one of the next updates :)

Quote from: Schulmanator on April 04, 2013, 05:21:13 AM
Nicely done. It has an authentic feel to it for sure.  :satisfied:
Thanks.  ;D  That's what I try to achieve.

Quote from: art128 on April 04, 2013, 09:07:55 AM
Wonderful work on the tram line. I like how it just goes on the street, roads and avenues.

And indeed, that tramway driver is a little humorist one!
Thank you. Yes, it's a traditional tram system, and only the stretch to the football stadium, which will be shown eventually is built on seperate tracks.

benedict

Small, simple and stunning. Thanks for the journey.

Flatron

Update 25: Transit map

As you can see, only the rough destinations are mentioned in the map because most people who use the tram are locals who know where they are going and as it is an overground tram, tourists can see where the next stop is. This shall, combined with a free transit pass that every tourist in the region gets along with their accomodation, encourage hopping on and off trains if something interesting catches their eye...

@benedict: thank you