Menu

LEX File Exchange
EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia
Network Addon Mod
Dependencies
Chat
Welcome to SimCity 4 Devotion. Please login or sign up.

January 29, 2023, 06:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Downloads

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

als98 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tarkus

Quote from: TomK on November 13, 2022, 06:12:10 PMPlop the Standard (Maxis) Rail Overpass over the rail. A TLA-3 to Road transition will connect the bridge to the TLA-3
There's also the option to use the new FLEX Overpasses.  You don't have to go searching for a Rail-specific undercrossing by default with those, since they're FLEX-based, rather than like old-style puzzle pieces.

-Alex

knutec

Hey, I had the itch to get back into SC4 after several years, but I'm having some trouble getting the latest NAM installed correctly. I'm getting crashes when loading city tiles even when using the Low RAM controller. I know it's the controller specifically, because when I remove it (alone) from my plugins folder I can load city tiles (and NAM Lite works), but I'm not really sure what to do about it. The executable patcher seems to work and I have 16gb of RAM, but all the controllers I try cause the same problem.

I'm running Windows 10 and my game is installed via Steam. And if it's relevant, I'm not actually crashing to desktop - the game is just hardlocking and needing to be killed via Task Manager.

jeffryfisher

Quote from: knutec on January 13, 2023, 02:33:39 PMwhen loading city tiles... the game is just hardlocking
How long did you wait before giving up and killing it? (SC4 can take several minutes to load its first city in any session)

And before killing it, did you look at your task bar to see if there was an SC4 icon there you could switch to? (There are some apparent deadlock conditions that are really loss of focus)

Do you have a slope mod that could conflict with the new one in NAM? (Having multiple "slope mod" exemplars may cause deadlocks)
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Tarkus

Quote from: knutec on January 13, 2023, 02:33:39 PMHey, I had the itch to get back into SC4 after several years, but I'm having some trouble getting the latest NAM installed correctly. I'm getting crashes when loading city tiles even when using the Low RAM controller. I know it's the controller specifically, because when I remove it (alone) from my plugins folder I can load city tiles (and NAM Lite works), but I'm not really sure what to do about it. The executable patcher seems to work and I have 16gb of RAM, but all the controllers I try cause the same problem.

I'm running Windows 10 and my game is installed via Steam. And if it's relevant, I'm not actually crashing to desktop - the game is just hardlocking and needing to be killed via Task Manager.
If it's actually an issue with having the full NAM Controller not having the 4GB Patch installed, then it would actually crash to desktop, rather than doing what you're describing.  That simply sounds like a long load time.  Having more plugins in your Plugins folder will cause the game to load slower, and big chunks of RUL code (which is what the Controller contains--even the "Low RAM" one in the full NAM, which is still about 65MB of just code) can especially do it.  If you're used to playing mostly vanilla, it'll be a noticeable difference on that first load of a city tile, and especially if it's a larger city.

Additionally, if you happened to have pieces of an old NAM installation around somewhere still, having multiple NAM Controllers that override one another can make it even more of a slog (and actually cause conflicts within your newer NAM install).  Make sure there's nothing from previous NAM installs left over when installing a new version.

-Alex

als98

Just wanted to report an issue I encountered after recently upgrading to NAM 46. It's entirely possible that I did something wrong while installing to cause this, but in case it is a broader problem I wanted to post it. After upgrading, most - but curiously, not all - of the paths on one way roads in existing cities disappeared. This affected both base network OWR-2 roads and OWR-1 and OWR-3 from the NWM. It's not a huge issue since to fix it I could just click on the affected areas with the OWR tool, but it was still a pain in the butt to do this for every road that had its paths deleted. Has anyone else had the same issue or did I screw something up? Thanks! -Alec