• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR Ave Request - Roundabout

Started by sollord, October 27, 2007, 05:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sollord

Any chance of getting a GLR Ave roundabout with a station or crossover in the middle? I figure since the roundabout is in nam some glr related ones would be pretty nice and useful if possible  ()what()
Midland Metro tram in england

South Melbourne

Flemington Junction -.-

Powstańców Śląskich Roundabout, Wroclaw, Poland

University of Utah

Shadow Assassin

This would be ideal for stations, you know. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Crissa

Wouldn't you have room for a wider turn in the middle, if you were going to do that?

A roundabout doesn't really include the center tile, unless it's a road or street round, so really only one roundabout would be needed, then you could have a 2-tile station or intersection to fill the center.  Conservation of textures, of course.

-Crissa

Jonathan

There were going to be bigger turns. This will probably be completed when/if ave/glr is made draggable
I'll expand on this post when i get home.

Diggis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 28, 2007, 01:55:07 AM
This would be ideal for stations, you know. :P

I'm confused as to peoples fixation with Stations in the centre of Roundabouts.  Surely that would require a crossing, which you defeat the purpose of the roundabout.

Jonathan

Now I'm off my phone and on my PC I can type properly.
The junctions and turns will/should be the same radius as the Ave/GLR turns and junctions.(4 tiles)
A puzzle piece in the center is the most likely option, of intergrating it into the game.
If these puzzle pieces are made before draggable GLR/Ave is (or if it isn't going to be made) they will have to be seperate puzzle pieces.
They would be ideal for stations, however some underpass or overpass would be required.

DFire870

Quote from: Diggis on October 28, 2007, 11:59:52 AM
I'm confused as to peoples fixation with Stations in the centre of Roundabouts.  Surely that would require a crossing, which you defeat the purpose of the roundabout.

You could have pedestrian bridges or tunnels to get to the station. I would hope that no one would have a crossing in an avenue roundabout. That would be murder.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

BigSlark

I have to agree with diggis, it just doesn't seem to be that good of an idea as the infrastructure costs would be very high. Now as an interchange station that would make sense, however, an interchange station where two paths cross each other is in clear violation of the "new" rules that mott has so kindly researched for TE'ing in general...

Cheers,
Kevin

Palpatine001

Mechanics of this aside

Wouldn't this create a head ache for road traffic, we have a heavy rail line that runs through a major roundabout in New Lynn and boy does it create havoc when a passenger or even worse a freight train runs through it at rush hour  &Thk/(
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

sollord

It really doesn't matter as glr in and ave cross intersections all the time and there puzzle pieces for it in game. I just figured this would be kinda cool. Station might not be a good idea but a tram running through a roundabout isn't all that uncommon and can't be any more troublesome then a tram running through a 4way intersection

RippleJet

Quote from: Palpatine001 on October 28, 2007, 04:27:41 PM
Wouldn't this create a head ache for road traffic, we have a heavy rail line that runs through a major roundabout in New Lynn and boy does it create havoc when a passenger or even worse a freight train runs through it at rush hour  &Thk/(

But you wouldn't see a heavy freight train running down the tram track... $%Grinno$%

Palpatine001

Quote from: RippleJet on October 28, 2007, 11:54:32 PM
But you wouldn't see a heavy freight train running down the tram track... $%Grinno$%

Yeah thats true I suppose
Just really never saw the use for GLR, too much of a heavy rail fan I suppose

However the concept is great if some one were to create it, just have to update my Roundabout fillers thats all  &mmm
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

jplumbley

This will definately create a BIG potential for TE LOT/Puzzle Piece CTD.  GLR in AVE at AVE Roundabout Intersections will be required to be puzzle pieces.  Since, this is will have to be a puzzle piece (a circle) and you want to put a TE Lot Station in the middle... you will not have a clear space to enter the middle of the intersection with your TE Lot (station), therefore CTD when the Station touches the Roundabout.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

M4346

Can't you make a 4x4 avenue roundabout station? In such a way it won't be necessary for one to place a station in the roundabout. Is that what you meant JPlumbley?
New Horizons Productions

Andreas

Quote from: M4346 on October 29, 2007, 12:01:51 PM
Can't you make a 4x4 avenue roundabout station? In such a way it won't be necessary for one to place a station in the roundabout. Is that what you meant JPlumbley?

No, you can't. You can "fake" something like this, but no lot will ever behave like a true network piece (draggable or puzzle piece). For a complicated setup like a GLR/Avenue roundabout, a lot would trash the entire pathfinding simulator. As said before, a station within a roundabout is pretty pointless anyway. It would require pedestrian underpasses or overpasses, which is not really possible to achieve in the game.
Andreas

M4346

Ah, okay. So this is really an exercise in futility? :(
New Horizons Productions

rushman5

Does anyone remember that "World Plaza" that was on the Stex a while ago? (Xyloxadoria)

It had overhanging props.  That kind of work would be capable in getting the pedestrians around.  Also, this could be a bus-subway transition.  That might be more practical.

jplumbley

Quote from: M4346 on October 29, 2007, 12:53:48 PM
Ah, okay. So this is really an exercise in futility? :(

This is what I was trying to say, yes it is essentiallly futile.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM