• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paris Seine Bridges

Started by xannepan, December 28, 2010, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Awesome!  &apls   I'm sure there's a lot of us that would love to see more specific-length or otherwise difficult to place bridges if we can get our hands on this kind of advanced, unique, and detailed work!

xannepan

A first in game screenshot with traffic etc.
Still many issues remain to be solved... but I'm confident I'll get there.

Does anyone know if i can create an "offset" on T21 properties, so the T21 props overhang the 16x16 border of the center piece? I need this to add wave effects to the support columns because for this particular models the large supports (with the towers on top) are overhanging the 16x16 centerpiece prop (two supports on each side of the center.. this is a neccesity to make this model work). As a result, adding a T21 wave to the center piece without the offset will make the wave effect to appear right in between the two support columns.The only alternative is to accept this bridge will not have a wave effect.

- Alex

vester

jeronij

Hello Alex,

Congratulations on your excellent progress with the bridges  :thumbsup:

My suggestion: Now that you understand the limitations of the sc4 bridges, try to approach new developments thinking always from the game point of view. You wont always be able to reproduce a bridge exactly as in RL  ::)  $%Grinno$%

Regarding the T21 thing, I dont recall the details now, but if you can create a lot with the needed props/effects, you can simply copy the contents of the lot into the T21 exemplar. Sorry, I repeat I dont recall the thecnical details now, but I'd swear that there's a tutorial somewhere explaining this. However, I fear that effects can not be placed offset in a lot, unless you manually tweak the properties related to the positioning of the prop/effect in the lot.

Finally, the more complex (and nice) the bridge is, the more a custom RUL is needed. Dont fear them, they're your friends in the end  ;) . Creating an excel sheet is a good help to partially automatize the process of creating the different pieces compositions for the different lenghts. A RUL will give you always the desired bridge  ;) <-- you can ask the NAM team for help with that

I hope this may help you somehow, or at least does not confuse you even more  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Orange_o_

Xannepan, your first bridges are stunning.  :o

I congratulate you, but I am going to allow to give you a piece of advice.

You should create your tiles of bridges without putting of texture road. And insert then one s3d for the road. It allows to apply a texture directly in s3d and so:

- A better quality of depiction of the texture routes.
- The possibility of changing the texture at your convenience (road, street, railway) and those for the same bridge.

Ask the NAM that it passes on you  NAM_flat plane S3D. ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

threestooges

Stunning work. Simply stunning. I think the Tower Bridge actually looks better without the wave effects. Given its historical location, you don't usually see that much of a foamy wake around its base.

As for the RULs, Jeronij is right, they're not as bad as they seem. I haven't put one together myself yet, but I think I understand the basic theory behind it. The real pain of it is just creating an instance for each of the 256 possible lengths.
-Matt

xannepan

Thanks all for the nice comments and advice.
One question; Does anyone know why the bridges in the game do not always "listen" to the supportpieceinterval defined in the template. I already found out that adding a T21 to the repeat pieces messes up the support interval, but even after I deleted these occasionally yhe support piece placement repetition is sometimes completely different then expected.

Alex

threestooges

I'm not sure what would cause that. Unless one of the piece exemplars accidentally got set to be a multiple piece section, it should just build the bridge as directed, brute force, across the gap. You would see asymmetry in some instances. For instance, if you had a bridge with support pieces every 4th tile and a 14 tile gap to cross, the first support would be 4 tiles away from the side, but the other side would only have two tiles since the bridge draws straight across (instead of toward the middle). But aside from that, I don't think I've ever noticed that.

Happen to have any pictures of the incident?
-Matt

xannepan

Matt and others,

i have posted the bridge on the bsc private lex for scrutineering. I still haven;t found and answer to the supprtpiece interval.
Additional I can't figure out how to get the nightlights working on the T21 props (model + desc files for these are included).
I hope you can help out.

Alex

Orange_o_

Can you take photos of the problem? Uploader in this topic the bridge, I have no access to the private lex

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

Une_ame

Well, well, Xannepan, you're full of surprises !!!  &apls

After your awesome parisian Re$$$ Bats (rue de Rivoli), your Prefecture de Police and the supernice Gare d'Orsay, all of them being a little gem, you start now a collection of bridges. And of course your choice is realy interesting  :o.

Thank you for your job, keep going !!!!   :thumbsup:
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

Lowkee33

Is this the problem restated "At different lengths, the bridge has different intervals of support pieces"?  That is what I am seeing.  At zoom 4 I am also missing a tile, what appears to be the center of the support piece.

The problems are beyond me.  Sorry.

Anyway, I attached a little mod that speeds up the construction time for all roads.  It would certainly conflict with a slope mod, and perhaps NAM too.  For testing it may save you some time.

Une_ame

I would like to suggest another very important bridge from Paris that you can add to you list: the Pont Alexandre III, which is important because it's the links between the Invalide's Garden and the Grand & Petit Palais (those LM are TWT projects) and beyond to the Champs Elysees.

xannepan

mmm... Une_ame: I'm spoiling you too much...  :D :D

I'm trying to create an avenue bridge for this one... But I have to be creative here in order to deal with the repetition. The RL bridge does not have a support piece, so I have to make up one so the game can deal with repetition (otherwise there will be a gap).

MandelSoft

Well, you could use the stone supports on either side of the bridge for that ;)

By the way, you don't use the proper avenue texture, but the Euro-road texture. The avenue has much greater line spaceing...

Anyway, I really, REALLY like the developments showing here. It seems you've mastered another great skill! I'm a fan of your parisian buildings and now also of your bridges! Keep it up!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

threestooges

I had a look at the bridges, and they seem to be working wonderfully for the most part. There were a few issues I noticed.

First, on the Tower Bridge, everything looks good, but if the bridge is elevated from the bridge placement menu, there's one tile that disappears at zoom 3. It appears properly at all other zoom levels.

Using the DrawPaths cheat, it looks like there's an issue with the paths on one bridge but...

Looking at the route query, it's functional. Automata does disappear on the tiles that don't indicate a path though.

As for the differing bridge support distances, it does seem to be based on the length of the bridge. You can see it in the above pictures. Duplicates of bridges are of slightly different lengths, and the support intervals do shift a bit. The game appears to spread out or contract bridges to make them fit. The only way I know to ensure a bridge will look exactly one way each time would be to write a rul for it.

These bridges look excellent and they will be a stunning addition to the game when they are released. Thanks for these.
-Matt

Ciuu96

Really good bridges, gonna be very useful when they are released! Thank you very much for these!  :thumbsup:
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Une_ame

QuoteI'm trying to create an avenue bridge for this one.

AAArghh, now I can die !

noahclem

Glad to see things coming along here!  :thumbsup:  The work on the Pont Alexandre III bridge looks great so far. Having a Parisian style avenue bridge would be a great addition, as would having an avenue bridge without a support in the center--hopefully you have luck with mrtnlrn's method for that.

It would be nice to do something with the median besides empty concrete but I don't know what the best idea would be. A tramway would be fun but if that's not impossible to execute it's close enough to it to not make a difference. Trees wouldn't make much sense, maybe some kind of planters? I guess all the maxis avenue bridges get around this issue by giving the bridge the appearance of two parallel road bridges or in a few cases moving the lanes toward the center. Perhaps using the outermost tile or two on each end of the bridge to transition to a median-less (Median-less Avenue 4-lane type) for the center of the crossing would make sense? It'd be really cool to have the ends include turning lanes instead of a median too but that sounds pretty tricky--I'm guessing there's not a way to tell the game to put the right direction turn lanes on each side of the bridge. Alternately, having the whole thing be MAVE-4 could work well too.

Sorry to ramble on so long, just felt like sharing a couple ideas I'd had. This bridge, as well as the others, is looking phenomenal and will be a beautiful addition in any form it's implemented in!

xannepan

Does anyone know where I can find a proper avenue texture? I'm using two road textures currently. (I already looked in the reader but some avenue textures are black and don't show up)