• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SHANGHAI TOWER

Started by MuzikStar, May 24, 2011, 02:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Quote from: hasbit3 on September 27, 2016, 12:37:23 PM
.... I also want aoll textures right, even if you have to spend 2,000 or 3,000 hours of your time on this lot, I want a growable Shanghai tower as well as the CO$$$ or R$$$ Landmark.

Hmm lets see 3000 hours divided by 8 hours a day that works out at 375 days, the daily rate for this kind of work ... its amazing what you can find on the internet ... As of Jan 2016, the average pay for a 3d Artist is $20.75/hr so that works out to

$62250.00

:bnn:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Girafe

I want the shanghai tower as well. I want the exact specifications, down to the fine details. I not only want the building to be 128 stories tall, I want the exact dimensions, down to that twist to protect itself from the wind. I want it to be the exact height specified. I also want aoll textures right, even if you have to spend 2,000 or 3,000 hours of your time on this lot, I want a growable Shanghai tower as well as the CO$$$ or R$$$ Landmark.

The tone of the message is maybe not appropriate especially for a request. You would like many things which I am afraid you will not find but asking nicely would help  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

matias93

Quote from: catty on September 28, 2016, 03:38:58 AM
.... I also want aoll textures right, even if you have to spend 2,000 or 3,000 hours of your time on this lot, I want a growable Shanghai tower as well as the CO$$$ or R$$$ Landmark.

Hmm lets see 3000 hours divided by 8 hours a day that works out at 375 days, the daily rate for this kind of work ... its amazing what you can find on the internet ... As of Jan 2016, the average pay for a 3d Artist is $20.75/hr so that works out to

$62250.00

:bnn:

That's twice the price of my universitary degree! It would be very funny (and somehow disturbing) to calculate how much money would have costed to pay for all the custom content the community has created. On those rates (maybe 3,000 hours is too much, but 1,500 for a very detailed and huge skyscraper sounds very reasonable), I think we could easily reach the tens of millions dollars.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mrbisonm

Quote from: matias93 on September 28, 2016, 06:53:54 AM
It would be very funny (and somehow disturbing) to calculate how much money would have costed to pay for all the custom content the community has created.

..............Billions......................($)

;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

APSMS

Quote from: Girafe on September 28, 2016, 04:45:08 AM
I want the shanghai tower as well. I want the exact specifications, down to the fine details. I not only want the building to be 128 stories tall, I want the exact dimensions, down to that twist to protect itself from the wind. I want it to be the exact height specified. I also want aoll textures right, even if you have to spend 2,000 or 3,000 hours of your time on this lot, I want a growable Shanghai tower as well as the CO$$$ or R$$$ Landmark.

The tone of the message is maybe not appropriate especially for a request. You would like many things which I am afraid you will not find but asking nicely would help  ;)
I thought he was being sarcastic but then I looked at his other posts back to his account creation date of 2007...

He wasn't joking.  &mmm
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Girafe

For 50.000$ I finish it

Note @ MGB, you will be rich  :P
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

dyoungyn

Look at that $%Grinno$%  That is amazing.  Would be great if you added some landscaping around your amazing creation &hlp

APSMS

Quote from: Girafe on September 29, 2016, 03:43:37 AM
For 50.000$ I finish it

Just $50? I have that in my wallet! ( :P Sorry, just had to take advantage of the decimal/comma conundrum)

Hey, is that really the Shanghai Tower? I thought it was something else when you were making it. Looks really nice even unfinished. I like how the roads around the base merge seamlessly underground.

mgb204

For 50.000$ I finish it

Girafe you undercut me!!! I was going to offer to do it for 300,000€, houses in the country are expensive you know!

NCGAIO

Interesting how a post that gets criticized as necromancy get back to life ...

who understand the rules is not it!

but OK! as $50,000 looks very I would say that for only $500 would be possible to do it with a $341 profit in a few minutes.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-shanghai-tower-china/904226

Much cheaper ... and still paying the model not to speak of misappropriation.

(Although there  also free)

mgb204

Honestly, in my opinion I'd have closed the thread and been done with it, as I've stated, absolutely nothing new has been added to this discussion. I still struggle to understand what the point of such threads are in the first place. At least if people were polite and made sensible requests like "I would really love to see X, no pressure", no one would be inclined to manage expectations.

Sure you could buy a who-knows-how-well optimised for SC4 version on TurboSquid, the price seems reasonable, I mean, if you were inclined to pay. But $341 of easy profit, no I think not. For one I seriously doubt anyone would actually pay this $500 in the first place. And the idea that that model will be rendered and working in minutes is laughable, more than likely to look even half decent, it would still require much further work. Not to mention, does that model come with textures?, because usually they don't. Since texturing is a huge part of making a model, as will be adding the night lighting and reflections, I can see this would take an experienced modeller a number of hours to do justice too.

However, sometimes it's more fun to take things less seriously, so if a few people get a cheap laugh out of the affair, maybe it was worthwhile after-all. Having worked on the road textures for Girafe, I find myself laughing, as I suddenly realise I should have known about this model. Sadly I think we'll never see this beauty released, well unless we give Girafe his $50,000. But since he promised to make me rich if we do, I'm all for that  ;D

Andreas

I'm pretty sure Girafe meant 50,000 Jamaika dollars, which is about 391 US dollars, that's relatively close to NCGAIO's suggestion. ;)
Andreas

APSMS

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 29, 2016, 06:23:23 AM
Look at that $%Grinno$%  That is amazing.  Would be great if you added some landscaping around your amazing creation &hlp
Pffft. Just let him get around to texturing the bottom annex part of the building.

If it comes down to it, I can landscape it myself (or, if LODs are an issue, live with the barren lot). Forget the plants. Good Lots may make or break a BAT, but one this good in this kind of unfinished condition seems criminal to leave unfinished. Of course, I think nightlights are still unfinished and IIRC Girafe is very busy these days so its unlikely to be worked on anytime soon. These are nontrivial parts to work on. Of course he may get time over the holidays, but for now I will have to be content with dreams.

hasbit3

Sorry. Where are my manners. If I could have the shanghai tower with the exact specifications and the 128 stories as well as a growable CO$$$ and R$$$$ Stage 15 and a ploppable CO$$$ and R$$$ Lot PLEASE!!!!

dyoungyn

Quote from: APSMS on September 30, 2016, 01:25:19 AM
Quote from: dyoungyn on September 29, 2016, 06:23:23 AM
Pffft. Just let him get around to texturing the bottom annex part of the building.

If it comes down to it, I can landscape it myself (or, if LODs are an issue, live with the barren lot). Forget the plants. Good Lots may make or break a BAT, but one this good in this kind of unfinished condition seems criminal to leave unfinished. Of course, I think nightlights are still unfinished and IIRC Girafe is very busy these days so its unlikely to be worked on anytime soon. These are nontrivial parts to work on. Of course he may get time over the holidays, but for now I will have to be content with dreams.

Understood, the building still looks amazing and fabulous.  I zoomed in at the actual building and the details are struck directly on the nail &apls

Akallan

There are a lot of "I want". If you want it, do it, but do require anyone. These are the children who say "I want".

Otherwise, the work is beautiful! The textures are excellent, this road is amazing! Congratulations! :o &apls &apls &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

hasbit3

Sorry. It's just that the Shanghai Tower would make a great addition to my cities. Either a Residential or commercial lot would be nice. And the area in which the Shanghai tower would cover would make a great addition. I just hope it isn't too big. How many square city blocks is the Shanghai Tower?

Vizoria

OH MAH GAWWDDDD!!!!!

&hlp &hlp &hlp

hasbit3

I want someone who can dedicate their time with the Shanghai tower, that's all.

hasbit3

For 50.000$ I finish it

Note @ MGB, you will be rich  :P

That building looks AMAZING!!! If you finish it, and post a CAMpatible version of the tower, then I would be happy. Stage 15 towers normally don't appear in the game until more than 3.4 million people are residing in your city, or 1.6 Commercial jobs are in your city. What stage you make the Shanghai Tower depends on you.