• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Izidor44 maps collection

Started by Izidor44, January 13, 2012, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izidor44

Good morning Gentlemen,

Two more maps available at the STEX... ...some more to come !

Baya de Salinas (Costa Rica)

Les Cayes (Haïti)

Feel free to comment and request  %confuso

Cheers,

Izi

Izidor44

Good day SC4 devotees,

Some more news from the mapping machine

Arica (Chile) rendered and uploaded on the STEX

I discovered recently another helpfull tool to speed up some part of the mapping process, which makes possible some maps I tought impossible to do before. I've tested first this new technique with flat land areas, where sea zones could nicely render :

Brunswick (Georgia) :

An optimized config.bmp file will be done before any upload.

Sarasota (Florida), as requested by PoV Liberty around here :

Another more "classical" map ready to go too, Macquarie Harbour (Tasmania) :

As usual, more to come, so stay around !

Cheers,

Izi

Izidor44

Hi,

This small update to show the last rendered map : Shakhtyorsk (Russia)

It will be released soon.

Cheers,

Izi

Swordmaster

Heh, I knew your maps but I didn't know you had a thread here. They're excellent!

Cheers,
Willy

Silur

Hi, Izi ...
Excellent map  &apls
Only one question - where is Shakhtyorsk City locate - Ural, Siberia, Sakhalin ?
Thank You ...

Izidor44

@ Swordmaster : thanks for viewing ! This SC4 thread is less used by me compared to the ST one, but I always try to keep it up to date.

@ Silur : the city is located in Sakhalin Island.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=49.172726,142.101288&hl=fr&ll=49.127814,142.224884&spn=0.622757,1.229095&num=1&t=p&z=10

Thanks for viewing  :)

Izi

dobdriver

Izi mate, You're getting pretty darn good at this lark, now you keep up this work.

Cheers mate
dobs

Izidor44

Quote from: dobdriver on April 02, 2012, 05:26:32 AM

Izi mate, You're getting pretty darn good at this lark, now you keep up this work.

Cheers mate
dobs

Hi Dob'

Thanks for the kind words ! I continue experimenting various techniques, using Google sattelites photos (big ones : 5.000 x 5.000 px), Google water body drawings (especially for US territory, where this kind of drawing are accurate and affordable) and also mask editing in PL...

I would like to show that more accuratelly in our private conversation on ST, but website is still offline today...

...this is too sad, I really need something strong... hips !

Cheers,

Izi

rooker1

You are making some really nice maps.  I have DL'd a few of them, great work.

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Izidor44

Quote from: rooker1 on April 03, 2012, 07:34:44 AM
You are making some really nice maps.  I have DL'd a few of them, great work.

Robin &apls

Thanks Rooker1  :)

Ho ho, I have 4 new fresh posts around here in almost 2 days ! Let's open a bottle of Champagne ! Where are those glasses...? ah, there...

So a little tricky time with this preview here : can you say the real location of this one (very easy I think) ?

I keep a glass of Champagne for the winner  :satisfied:

Cheers again,

Izi

Lowkee33

You need to put the Bronx in there :)

Also, Brooklyn extends a little further east.

And, perhaps this map would be better rotated to make Manhattan align with the grid.

dobdriver

Cool Izi,

Some time ago I was asked for a map of Lower Manhattan, just one tile ;<)

I'll drink to that.

Chin chin

Cheers
dobs

rooker1

I agree with Lowkee33 about rotating the map about 23 degrees counter clockwise.
This way the port will line up properly with the grid as well as the two rivers on either side of New York island would make making bridges easier.

Robin ;)
Call me Robin, please.

cmdp123789

I know this is probably the wrong thread but... how do you create those maps..? can you please tell me what programs do you use and a tutorial to follow? cause I want to do maps myself but I dont even know where to get the images and how to scale them... and I didnt find any useful tutorial yet...

Izidor44

Quote from: cmdp123789 on April 03, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
I know this is probably the wrong thread but... how do you create those maps..? can you please tell me what programs do you use and a tutorial to follow? cause I want to do maps myself but I dont even know where to get the images and how to scale them... and I didnt find any useful tutorial yet...

Hi cmdp123789,

Mapping requires some usefull tools, and it may differ from mapper to mapper... ...In my case, I always have in my pocket :

• some 3 arc second DEM elevation mapfiles (or 1 arc second if possible : better resolution)
  • a pretty nice screwpull to open those DEM and save them in a 16 bit image format
  • an image editor software which handles the 16 bit depht color (like Photoshop, for example)
  • patience
  • beer (this one in particular is important... ...not usefull, but important  ;D )

I have the project, which is still complete rough, to write a webpage around here, detailling the modest technique I have. I hope some experimented mappers to contribute to this project... ...but you will have to be VERY patient with this one.

@rooker1 & Lowkee : rotating the NY map by -23° would be possible but it will require some extra work...
I might add more terrain to north and east and make the Bronx appears  :-[

...so stay tuned, as usual !

Cheers,

Izi

Izidor44

...just this small update about the NYC map : it will be rotated by 28,85 degrees counter clockwise to make the main Manhattan's avenues running south-northward.

cmdp123789

Based on your response I have everything but the 3arc second DEM maps... where do you get them from?? cause I dont seem to find the maps...

Lowkee33

Quote from: Izidor44 on April 04, 2012, 08:14:19 AM
@rooker1 & Lowkee : rotating the NY map by -23° would be possible but it will require some extra work...
I might add more terrain to north and east and make the Bronx appears

Please do, or perhaps even remove some from the south and west.  A proper map of NYC would be a great addition to the game.

Swordmaster

Ideally, a NYC map should go as far north as White Plains/I-287. I personally value that area more highly than the bottom three tiles in your current setup.

Cheers,
Willy

Izidor44

Hi all !

Map is in the process and will include White Plains to the north. Rotated at 28,85 degrees...

Lot of work...

Cheers,

Izi