• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: Vizoria on January 17, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
Brilliant! TULEP/RRW crossings are something I have not seen before.

They've existed for 8 months, hidden away inside my Automated Sidewalk Mod preview. Although Willy has done a much better job of the textures  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: Vizoria on January 17, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
Brilliant! TULEP/RRW crossings are something I have not seen before.

The wide NWM networks were default rail as well ;D

Quote from: compdude787 on January 17, 2016, 02:40:58 PM
Looks nice, but on some of the avenue RR crossing TuLEPs, stop lines are missing in the direction heading away from the intersection. Might be nice to add those.

That's an interesting technicality that I was wondering about. From what I know, stop lights can be integrated with the crossing signals. So if the crossing is closed, the light will remain red, meaning there's no cars cueing up there. Now this is an interesting setup I made (unconsciously), since there's a slip lane as well to account for. I'm gonna mull this one over.

Cheers
Willy

compdude787

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 17, 2016, 02:52:54 PM
From what I know, stop lights can be integrated with the crossing signals. So if the crossing is closed, the light will remain red, meaning there's no cars cueing up there.

Oh, right. Forgot about that...
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

art128

Very cool development. Nice to see you on board again, Willy! :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

fgossage

Are these the crossing signals that "jondor" originally started a couple of years ago?  This all looks AWESOME!  I had a computer crash, and also lost my SC4... but a new copy is actually arriving tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to getting to use everything that's been worked on in the last few NAM versions.  I think it's about time to get ready to donate to the community :)
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

Swordmaster

Thanks everyone. Indeed, fgossage, I've been shamelessly plugging Jondor's crossings. I seem to recall there were certain peculiarities needed with the paths to get them to work properly, but I haven't experienced any problems yet.

I've rounded up all orthogonal NWM crossings. To further illustrate the less-than-straightforward application of stop lines, the OWR crossings have none at all:

This is for technical reasons (1/ the crossings don't know in which direction the OWR runs, and 2/ the OWR-4 and -5 textures are mirrored). I could also make stop lines on either side, but that looks much worse, in my opinion.

I'm now (that's tomorrow) gonna see if I can still RUL ;D and get the STR crossings in order.

Cheers
Willy

mgb204

I read somewhere also that Jondor's crossings were incompatible with RRW, which they most definitely are not.

I wonder if perhaps barriers don't time correctly with some crossings, due to the lack of/faulty stop points in the pathing? Other than that, I'm lost as to how the two would be in any way linked?

eggman121

While Willy is at work with the crossings I have ventured into a FARR away land  :D

Still a bit loose with the RUL2 code but we are getting there. There is more coming to FARR land  ;D

-eggman121

fgossage

Let me make sure I have everything straight, after reading this entire thread to catch up.  I've been gone for a couple of years, apart from checking in briefly on the forum overall once or twice, and quite a LOT has happened since then.  :)

- The crossing signals created by Jondor were at least initially incompatible (at least not consistently compatible across the board) because of some of the internal coding related to how they were initially created versus the internal coding associated with the RRW project?

- Eggman121 would be able to fix it so that Jondor's crossing signals would be compatible consistently with RRW-based highway grade crossings by editing that internal coding (I think associated with the T21 coding)?

- These are the compatibility issues that mgb204 referenced a couple of posts up?

- Swordmaster, it seems you are going back as a part of the grade crossing work with the RRW project, and making the RRW-based crossings consistently compatible with Jondor's signals... or are you guys folding Jondor's signals into the NAM (possibly as a subset of the RRW) and updating the coding to make them compatible that way?

Unrelated note:  Eggman121, sorry for disappearing for so long.  I'm consistently back in the community now, and if you would still like help with U.S.A. related portions of your Traffic Sign Mod, please feel free to contact me whenever you are ready! :)
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

compdude787

Nice, looking forward to using this in the next NAM version.  :thumbsup:
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

MushyMushy

What was that people said about SC4 not having curvy networks?  :D
I'm hoping this level of greatness can be expanded to some of the car-based networks at some point.

mgb204

Quote from: fgossage on January 17, 2016, 08:08:20 PM
- The crossing signals created by Jondor were at least initially incompatible (at least not consistently compatible across the board) because of some of the internal coding related to how they were initially created versus the internal coding associated with the RRW project?

Were they though, I've not noticed any of them missing or functioning incorrectly. That said I'm not partial to at-grade crossings, so I don't see too many of them. T21's are linked to the IDs of the network, since those have not been modified (for the crossings at least), there is no reason I can think of why they would not appear. As mentioned before, the only issue I can envision is with the barrier animation not syncing or happening as a result of the paths which are linked to this effect. If you can give me an example of a crossing that's not functioning as it should, it's something that could be looked into. I'm not sure if that's something that comes under the realm of NAM development. Anyone is free to make new T21s based on the props and release them, but that's only required for unsupported crossings. I said it earlier, but if we bundled everything into the NAM, it would be overwhelming.

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

APSMS

Quote from: eggman121 on January 17, 2016, 06:59:19 PM
While Willy is at work with the crossings I have ventured into a FARR away land  :D
<snip>
Still a bit loose with the RUL2 code but we are getting there. There is more coming to FARR land  ;D
-eggman121
FARR out man!

FARR2 and FARR3, and FARR crossovers and switches? Beautiful!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Gugu3

Guys you keep this game amazing with all of your creations! &apls &apls

FrankU

Simcoug

Smooth curves... bah humbug!
Give me back my 90 degree rail curves!

:P

Swordmaster

For the NWM at least, there are no problems with Jondor's crossings... Robin is right in that it has to do with stop points in the paths, but while some paths have them and some don't, all crossings close and open well in time. So that's that. Jondor was one of those NAMites whose contributions were always of the highest standard, and the crossings prove that. I've always had a fondness for his work and it's a pity he's no longer an active part of the team.

Now, STRxNWM is done. Looks like some of my initial STR code was faulty, hence why the wider networks revert to DTR in the current NAM. That's fixed as well.

Cheers
Willy

MushyMushy

All of these crossings look great! It's super exciting to see compatibility for RRW being extended to everything. It does look like there's one texture error  in the picture though: the STR crossing for the NRD-4 network doesn't have the darker strips (in the middle of each lane) covering the concrete between the two rails like the other networks do.

Swordmaster

Oops! Good catch. Wonderful to know you folks see all the details :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy