Menu

LEX File Exchange
EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia
Network Addon Mod
Dependencies
Chat
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

January 27, 2022, 12:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Should default TIR and TOR textures be stone (like TOS) or asphalt (like the old versions)?

Stone pavers
45 (35.2%)
Asphalt
83 (64.8%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: NORO Trams and Textures  (Read 57506 times)

Offline Swordmaster

Re: NORO Trams and Textures
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
Great! Art's suggestion has some merit, but there are a few roundabouts here with pavement along the tram tracks because buses also follow that route straight through the center.

Cheers
Willy

Offline romualdillo

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
It looks gorgeous!!  &apls

Are you going to do all your roundabouts with the tram passing through the center? It's possible to have "normal" roundabouts?. I would like to have the possibility of placing a monument inside it.

Offline noahclem

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
  • CL:
    Resident Reindeer
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

First I wanted to solicit feedback on a problem I had with some tram stops. While the original (LHT) model of the barrier stops has always worked perfectly I got a weird texture discoloration when I tried the newer RHT version. The stops appear perfect when in isolation but when a TIR piece is next to them the lot textures get darker. When a TIR piece is on both sides they seem to get twice as dark.

Anyone have an idea what might cause that? The models are otherwise excellent, just like their LHT counterparts.

And here's the latest on the textures:

The diagonal intersections still need crosswalks but are otherwise good to go.

It looks gorgeous!!  &apls

Are you going to do all your roundabouts with the tram passing through the center? It's possible to have "normal" roundabouts?. I would like to have the possibility of placing a monument inside it.

For these tram-on-street roundabouts the tram will have to go through the center but the textures I made for these will be very easily converted to the SAM roundabout with this same type of textures. Unfortunately these roundabouts don't have space for a lot in the middle so a monument would need to be T21ed to the center or placed using an overhanging lot.

Great! Art's suggestion has some merit, but there are a few roundabouts here with pavement along the tram tracks because buses also follow that route straight through the center.

Cheers
Willy
Wonderful textures. :)

As I mentioned on Skype (Seems you missed it) I think it's more logical of the pavement texture between the rails stops at the start of the inner roundabout for grass. I would also not cut the ring of grey stones.

This is what I meant:

Thanks a ton for all your help guys. I need to do some revisiting or variation with these as I think I'm just lacking enough RL examples. Going with a grass version without surrounding sets would mean I would need to sort out how the tram rails over grass should actually look, including the wear beneath the tramways that seems to always be present in those situations. If the center of this kind of small roundabout would also include a way for buses to go through than I would need to widen the pavement enough that they would actually fit. I think I misunderstood the thing about the gray rocks in the middle. I always see roundabouts with some kind of inner area of pavement so large trucks or mistaken drivers don't actually run over grass or whatever is in the middle of the roundabouts. I have all the files saved in a way that these kinds of changes would be easy to make and variations are also a definite possibility.

:popcorn:
:thumbsup:

Wow :shocked2: Fabolous...

Very pretty, you even lightened the curb in places to highlight the lowered curb at pedestrian crossings.
Thanks a lot--glad you noticed that detail!

Great stuff :thumbsup:
Thanks!

This just keeps getting better  &apls

I wouldn't have a use for such textures myself, but here mixed in with Romaualdillo's bats everything is just so :). Glad you are still pushing on with this project, it's a whole new level of quality for GLR.
Thanks Robin! Glad to keep having your strong support!

Wow, that looks fantastic - great work  :thumbsup: &apls &apls
Thanks a lot Jay! Really appreciated :)

Magnificent  &apls &apls
Thank you very much :)

Offline Swordmaster

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »
Great progress of which I'm very happy to be in the firing line  :satisfied:

Good to see those pesky diagonals are up. I'd also be happy to provide RL examples though you know Antwerp tramways have their own particulars--ballast seems ever present when not on pavement.

Cheers
Willy

Offline Simmer2

• NAM Team
  • Forums Parliamentarian
  • If you build it, they will come.
  • CL:
    ══ Titan of Industry ══
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
I just love HD!! Excellent work Noah  &apls &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Gugu3

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2016, 03:09:33 AM »
Excellent!

Offline kbieniu7

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:43 AM »
For RL examples of tram tracks in grass, the best is to look at France. Their tramway systems are not just the transport network - they seem to be the art as well.

Here you have a small piece of grass (that seems not to do too well):
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6143893,3.8815183,3a,88.8y,268.26h,66.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1srbTbOUpO4SFxc0tG0qp7lg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DrbTbOUpO4SFxc0tG0qp7lg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D68.091286%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

A big roundabout with full grass:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6018213,3.9004022,3a,75y,35.94h,72.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOWkt6fCBXNklc14iUE7kbQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOWkt6fCBXNklc14iUE7kbQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D35.875782%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

A roundabout, where you have neither grass nor pavement:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6194743,3.8695311,3a,89.7y,337.85h,74.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOeWQzxkJUn4yGMU0Wf67hg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOeWQzxkJUn4yGMU0Wf67hg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D53.696541%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

I think, that Arthur may find more examples from his own "neighbourhood" :)

In Poland, even though it's became much more popular to make green tracks, no one would care about such small piece of grass. We will just pave it (such a pity!) For smiliar reason, I think there's no big point in making a corridor for buses - it's not a big intersection, that's a small roundabout somewhere on minor streets. Imagine, how little of grass will be left there, if we decide to pave it for busses? In such case, if we need to make it more compatible for big vehicles, I think everything would be paved with the middle island just painted.

So, to sum up: for me, if we talk about the middle island, there are two options - full grass and no grass (paved). Conditions different from 0 or 1 are not applicable in a roundabout so small :)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:10:42 AM by kbieniu7 »
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Offline romualdillo

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
 :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:
(yes, it's a stupid comment, but that's how I feel now)

Offline Kergelen

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Wonderful textures and tram stations &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Offline manga rivotra

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
Your textures are really superb ! and about the roundabout question, i fully agree with kbieniu7 opinion when he said :
So, to sum up: for me, if we talk about the middle island, there are two options - full grass and no grass (paved). Conditions different from 0 or 1 are not applicable in a roundabout so small :)

I just want to add that having the two types of roundabout in our Plugins'folder would be perfect  ;D
Thanks for you great work  :thumbsup:

Offline Swordmaster

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »
Some missing links in the Tram-on-Street network. . . Textures by Noah (obviously), coding by myself.

Yes, all these are draggable. :bnn:

Cheers
Willy

Offline Gugu3

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 03:24:25 AM »
Really???This is gorgeous!

Offline Themistokles

• Forums Senator
  • If Simcity were a democracy we'd all be ostracised
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 07:09:07 AM »
Beautiful! &apls
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Offline Simcoug

• The NUTS
  • Forums Senator
  • Fruit flies like a... What? Who already has that?
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »
 &dance

Offline bombardiere

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
I am a latecomer to this thread but this is fantastic.

Offline woodb3kmaster

• NAM Team
  • Forums Senator
  • My name is Zack.
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2016, 01:52:16 AM »
Those GLR textures are fantastic! They're just the sort of quality I had hoped to achieve in my planned remake of the original GLR textures (the grey ones, if you're unsure which ones I mean). I'm especially glad to see third-rail variants, as I'm one of those players who prefer to use GLR as a metro-like network. I'd love to collaborate on this project if you're interested in adding another texture set.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Offline noahclem

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
  • CL:
    Resident Reindeer
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys--and especially to Willy for his fantastic work making the wilder dreams of this project suddenly within easy reach ;)

Special welcome to bombardiere and woodb3kmaster :)

Those GLR textures are fantastic! They're just the sort of quality I had hoped to achieve in my planned remake of the original GLR textures (the grey ones, if you're unsure which ones I mean). I'm especially glad to see third-rail variants, as I'm one of those players who prefer to use GLR as a metro-like network. I'd love to collaborate on this project if you're interested in adding another texture set.

I've not really been pursuing the 3rd rail style beyond basic proof of concept, having instead focused on the massively time-intensive HD RRW style rural GLR, but it would be a nice feature to have that I'm sure many would find useful. You're certainly welcome to collaborate, whether expanding on the existing styles I've been working on or doing your own variant. If it's something you'd like to do I could give you read access to all the development files, which I keep on MS onedrive, and add a sub-folder there for your work with read/write access for you. There's tons of layered .xcf files in there (I use GIMP) and you're welcome to borrow any of the elements in there, like rails for example, for use in any of your own projects :)

On that note, anyone else interested in collaborating or just wanting access to all the dev files for their own purposes is more than welcome. Note this is not the same as getting access to alpha versions of the mod, which I'm also happy to make available on request--iirc the dev files are at least a GB of less than perfectly organized .xcfs with layers separated as well as all the .pngs that actually make up the current state of the mod. A full alpha version with all HD textures takes up only a fraction of that space.

No progress to report for the moment, have been trying to focus on school with free sc4 time spent playing the game with some time using PIMX and lotting.

Offline woodb3kmaster

• NAM Team
  • Forums Senator
  • My name is Zack.
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
I've not really been pursuing the 3rd rail style beyond basic proof of concept, having instead focused on the massively time-intensive HD RRW style rural GLR, but it would be a nice feature to have that I'm sure many would find useful. You're certainly welcome to collaborate, whether expanding on the existing styles I've been working on or doing your own variant. If it's something you'd like to do I could give you read access to all the development files, which I keep on MS onedrive, and add a sub-folder there for your work with read/write access for you. There's tons of layered .xcf files in there (I use GIMP) and you're welcome to borrow any of the elements in there, like rails for example, for use in any of your own projects :)
That would be fantastic - and certainly more than I had hoped for! Thanks for being so willing to share your dev files! I look forward to getting a direct behind-the-scenes look at how you've made these amazing textures. :)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Offline Swordmaster

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
Going in Noah's dev folders? This is how you should dress, Zack:

:laugh:

Cheers
Willy

Offline vester

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
    • My bat cave.
  • CL: Tickets Please
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
 :D

You could say the same on some of my folders.

Great work Noah.