• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to create Plopable items for the Mayor Menu

Started by jeronij, January 13, 2007, 05:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girafe

I have a question with a seasonal prop in mayor mod ; I search to plop in mayor mods skiers that appear jsut in winter and disappear in spring ; it would be possible ? and if yes how can I make ?

many thanks

ps : I took id'srange AF44xxxx & AF45xxxx it's ok ?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

thingfishs

I have been following this tutorial and have reached the end, but it's not working. I can see my item in the mayor mode menu, with it's description (but without an icon, which was expected), but when I place it I get a CTD. I lost track a bit of what was in what file (I ended up with a model, desc, dat & descdat? files) I have posted these here in case anyone can spot my mistake:
http://easy-upload.nl/f/1V8gPQGq

BarbyW

It is not a good idea to have a file with two extensions as you do with TF_prop_WP_rushesreader-0x6534284a-0x987dbba5-0x58d9e5f8.SC4Desc.dat
I haven't looked too closely at the whole thing but I will do later.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

BarbyW

I have had a look at your files and have the following comments.
1. Resource Key type 1 is missing the first property - 0x27812821
2. Item Icon and Item Button ID have the incorrect property. It should be 0x24240001
3. In the tutorial the following is emphasised in red:
Quote* Important !!!: Make sure the Exemplar and the PNG do have the same instance ID !!!
Yours don't.

4. Jeroni put the following at the end of phase 2.
QuoteIf not, read again the tutorial and make sure you understand the file relations, and you understand what you are doing
Do you understand the file relations and what you are doing? If not read the tutorial again until you do understand.

This may seem a bit harsh but you are trying to do too many things without understanding the basics of filename conventions and SC4 conventions.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

thingfishs

it doesn't seem harsh at all. I know that the way I go about things is liable to frustrate people (mostly myself ;)). I read that line in red several times, I remember triple checking it, yet for some reason I read it every time as saying make sure they do not have the same ID...

I do have some issues in absorbing information from text, and I am generally able to do OK (in RL) by jumping right into things and figuring it out as I go. But I do realise things are a bit different here. I am also so overwhelmed by the scope of SC4 that I am inclined to learn a bit of everything; so I don't feel like I'll never get my head around what I want to.

I still can't believe it says "do have"  &ops &ops :D Thanks again for your help.

<EDIT> I have since been able to get them to work as expected.  ;D The problem now is how to get them to place more accurately. As it is they plop quite a distance away from where the cursor is. (could this be another offset issue I wonder...)

dedgren

Quote from: Girafe on September 18, 2009, 10:50:52 AM
I have a question with a seasonal prop in mayor mod ; I search to plop in mayor mods skiers that appear jsut in winter and disappear in spring ; it would be possible ? and if yes how can I make ?

If anyone is still interested in the answer to this question, I'd be happy to do a tutorial over at 3RR.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Silur

Yes, David ...
I think, it will be very interesting for all  :thumbsup:

joelyboy911

I think yes too, but maybe copy it over here to the tutorial section as well, for easy finding?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Lowkee33

Hi all.  I was starting at Reader for a long time last night, and although I saw this thread, I didn't read past Jeronij's first post.  I posted a question Here.  Since my last post I have tried from scratch a few times.  I have been using the Draggable Paths as a template.  If I copy/paste RKT1 into one of the Draggable Path Exemplars, then my model does show up.  I still cant get it to work when I make it from scratch though.

QuoteIf anyone is still interested in the answer to this question, I'd be happy to do a tutorial over at 3RR.

Me too :).  I have been playing around with the Flora Parameters myself, and want to post some things:

1)Rep #1 seems to change the rate that the models change.  Dedgren's Holy Grail Flora have this set to 182.5.  In hopes to make a >3 model change I set this to 92.  The models changed much faster, but no luck on more than three.  I also noted that the models did not change every 92 days, but more like 60.

2)I have also played with Rep #13 and have some discoveries (at least for this thread).  Different flora are not effected by each others 13th rep.  Again, I have been editing Dedgren's trees.  In this picture the White Oak has been given a value of 60, the Elm a value of 30, and the Burr Oak a value of 15:

I planted the white oaks first, then the elms, and then the burr oaks.  By using large numbers I hope to get reasonably realistic forests by simply plopping trees with no regard :).

Another effect that the 13th rep has is the distance from the edge of the city that the flora can be planted.

Lowkee33

BTW:  Is it okay if I start using 0x33AA####?

jeronij

Quote from: Lowkee33 on November 08, 2010, 10:46:51 AM
BTW:  Is it okay if I start using 0x33AA####?

It sounds like a safe range to me. Not mentioned elsewhere in the forums  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Andreas

As far as I know, there is no index, like with the textures or the prop families. For myself, I picked some IDs from my internal prop family range that I chose before the prop family index was even created. ;)
Andreas

Lowkee33

Excellent.  Thanks  :)  I made Orange's stone walls into mayor flora plop.  Is that something people are interested in?

I have found that a 13th rep of <.4 makes them able to be placed between farm fields, but they look a little strange.

As for Flora/Family range:  I think I would like to keep two separate lists right now. Plus 33aa#### is much easier to type than my family range.  ;) 

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

marsh

How would you make it so that every time you click, a different model (tree) appears?

Andreas said something about it in a post a page or 2 back, but I'm confused by it.

thanks, marsh

Lowkee33

I assume you have made a successful single-click flora using the tutorial.  Getting that right is the most complicated part.

Say you want to click through three models.  The first model will be the one you just made with the tutorial.

Quote from: Andreas on June 13, 2007, 07:54:19 AM
More or less, yes. Increment the instance ID of the exemplar files by one

You right click on the exemplar, click "clone", type "2" in the top box, check the box next to "Instance", and type "0x00000001" there.  When you click "okay" you will have three Identical flora exemplars who have increasing Instance values.

Quoteand change the Resource Key Type 1 properties to the IDs of the new tree props. Leave out "Item Icon", "Item Order" and "Item Button ID".

They are identical files, so the RKT1 points to the same tree.  You have to find the TGI of the model you want and change the RKT1 to that for the new files.  As well as taking out the Icon, Order, and Button Id.  Make sure to change the "Exemplar ID" as well.

QuoteThen you have to add "Flora: Cluster type", "Flora: Cluster max radius" and "Flora: Cluster max height" properties to all exemplar file except the last one. For "Flora: Cluster type", you will always have to add the instance ID of the following exemplar file (that's why you have to leave it out at the last exemplar file).

For the first tree "Flora:Cluster Type" is the Instance of the second tree.  For the second tree, it is the Instance of the third tree.  The third tree doesn't have a model after it, so it does not need this property.  This is why it was good to make the Instances close to each other.

Radius and Height determine the area around the center of the model in which the click cycle will happen.  Small values make it harder to make them cycle.  Large values make it hard to make a dense forest of the first model.  I believe the last model needs these two properties. 

If you have more than three models, then treat the additional models as you did the second tree.

marsh

Thanks Lowkee.  :)

I successfully made Frogface's slums into Plopables.  :)

Theres 3 different sets of them.

Lowkee33

There you go :D

Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure the proper rotation.  4 (or more) of the same model in a chain would make it more likely to get the rotation you want.

marsh

Yea...  &mmm But I don't want my menus cluttering up.  :P

If you look i edited the post. I've gotten 3 sets done.  :)

CSGdesign

We'd like to register a range please, but not sure who to PM, so asking in here...
Can we register the range ccc0 through ccc9 plz?