• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhands

packerfan386

&apls Good Work Everyone &apls

Just remember the asphalt shoulders :P ;D

^something I threw together very quick along time ago

Concrete textures is something I've dreamed about having (RHW wise) for a long long time.

deathtopumpkins

That's a good idea actually. Most concrete roads here that have shoulders have asphalt ones. I'll play around with that.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

mightygoose

all concrete roads over here are original concrete from the 40's through 60's and so are still fully concrete or entirely resurfaced, i'm curious as to how concrete highways with asphalt shoulders come into existence?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

MandelSoft

In the Netherlands, motorways used to be concrete, but almost all motorways have asphalt now. Only very few parts of our system consists out of concrete roads (the only one I can remember is the A28 between Zeist and Amersfoort). But these roads aren't a real pleasure to drive on...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wilfried

There are lots of new concrete highways in Germany now. They say, it's more durable and cheaper, however, it's more dangerous when wet. Therefore there is often a rain speed limit where normally there is none.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: mightygoose on April 08, 2010, 10:17:44 AM
all concrete roads over here are original concrete from the 40's through 60's and so are still fully concrete or entirely resurfaced, i'm curious as to how concrete highways with asphalt shoulders come into existence?

In America we didn't use shoulders at first. They were added on as an afterthought, and since shoulders are a narrow area, they're paved with asphalt. The only roads that had shoulders added (around here anyway) were interstates, as shoulders are required now.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

To everyone who's starting work on new texture sets--excellent work! :thumbsup:  It's absolutely fantastic to see more add-ons of this type being produced.  Best of luck to all of you, and let me know if there's anything I can do on this end!

-Alex

Tarkus

A little peek at some of mrtnrln's new Cosmetic Pieces that will be in Version 4.0 . . .

-Alex

Haljackey

Looks good, Alex! 

Might be nice to have some of those broken white lines along the ending lane until it narrows.  Example:

Other than that, nice work!  I like all the new textures and cosmetic pieces.  It will really help diversify the mod!

z

Quote from: Haljackey on April 09, 2010, 03:21:11 PM
Might be nice to have some of those broken white lines along the ending lane until it narrows.  Example:

I've noticed that the existence of that broken white line seems to vary greatly, not only among different countries, but also among different states here in the U.S.  In most of the places I've lived, it's not used.  YMMV.

jdenm8

In Australia we tend to have both types depending on the speed and capacity. Here in Queensland, if there is no broken line, the car in front has right of way regardless of which lane you happen to be in whereas if there is a broken line, traffic in the continuing lane has right of way regardless of position in relation to the merging car. No broken line is also generally restricted to OWR and Avenues here in Australia as well for safety reasons.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 09, 2010, 10:03:50 PM
In Australia we tend to have both types depending on the speed and capacity. Here in Queensland, if there is no broken line, the car in front has right of way regardless of which lane you happen to be in whereas if there is a broken line, traffic in the continuing lane has right of way regardless of position in relation to the merging car. No broken line is also generally restricted to OWR and Avenues here in Australia as well for safety reasons.

No wonder why Queenslanders are such crazy drivers. :p

As for the broken line thing - it's different in NSW - you have to give way if you're merging into the lane, however, if you go right up to the end of the lane, the person in the other lane has to give way. And besides, it tends to alternate between lanes, determining who has to give way, etc. It keeps traffic flowing well anyway.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Skins

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 09, 2010, 10:03:50 PM

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on April 10, 2010, 08:51:58 AM
No wonder why Queenslanders are such crazy drivers. :p

As for the broken line thing - it's different in NSW - you have to give way if you're merging into the lane, however, if you go right up to the end of the lane, the person in the other lane has to give way. And besides, it tends to alternate between lanes, determining who has to give way, etc. It keeps traffic flowing well anyway.

Heh, Victorian here.

From what I've noticed with Victorian freeways/highways, when it comes to merging there is always a broken line, with the left lane always ending. If you are in the left lane merge zone and there's a car on your right around the blind spot, you have right of way. Either way, I cannot think of any Melburnian freeways (and otherwise, for that matter) where the right lane ends and is forced to merge left unless roadworks are present. It's always a nasty surprise when I'm driving interstate.

However we do have this occurring.

I don't think I've seen this in any other part of Australia, only in Melbourne. Though I would like to be corrected if its presence is elsewhere. It basically means that the lane with a diagonal broken line going through it will end along the freeway and become an exit lane, so merge right before it's too late.

kassarc16

Quick slight OT question: Are there any US-styled Highway signs out there that work with the various lane configs?

Nego

Q:
QuoteQuick slight OT question: Are there any US-styled Highway signs out there that work with the various lane configs?

A: Yes, yes there are, kassarc16. I've seen them around and they are some on the LEX and the STEX. You just have to poke around. Here is one that I found real quick:

Overhead lane end signs: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=23374

I actually have some in development right now. If you want, I can let you know when they are done with a PM. Here is a sample:

&apls &apls Nice job with what I've seen of RHW v4 &apls &apls

kassarc16

Thanks for the info, Nego

mrtnrln's design looks spot on for what I've seen around here. As for other developments; We haven't seen much of bridges for the RHW lately. Any progress on that front?

Blue Lightning

I'm actually in process of making an Ohio set,

Most of them are Type C or Type D exit ramps though, but I do have a few planned for splitters.
You can see more here
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

jdenm8

Interstate 76  :D.
Brings back memories...
@Blue Lightning, They don't look too dissimilar to what we have on the newer Motorways here, except the US Highway and Interstate shields.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

canyonjumper

Type D ramp? Awesome! And I'm curious about your signs. Did you use a template of some kind?
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.