• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Can't find place to upload avatar

Started by kj3400, September 19, 2012, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kj3400

I recently noticed that my avatar went missing and I've been trying to reupload it, but I can't find the option to do so. I tried going to where I thought it always was but all I get is this:

Any help would be appreciated and if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Tarkus

Unfortunately, the ability to upload an avatar is currently limited only to subscribers, team members and staff at present.

-Alex

kj3400

I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on September 19, 2012, 03:36:04 PM
Unfortunately, the ability to upload an avatar is currently limited only to subscribers, team members and staff at present.

-Alex

See... why don't we get the ability to hot load them off other sites so it uses no resources from this site?
~ NAM Team Member

mrbisonm

Quote from: Kitsune on September 19, 2012, 06:11:24 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on September 19, 2012, 03:36:04 PM

-Alex

See... why don't we get the ability to hot load them off other sites so it uses no resources from this site?

That's right, I wonder why also....Just a dumb question, what exactly is the reason for this?

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Tarkus

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 19, 2012, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: Kitsune on September 19, 2012, 06:11:24 PM
That's right, I wonder why also....Just a dumb question, what exactly is the reason for this?
Fred

The current avatar situation has actually been in place since for over a year, since the forum software and server upgrade back in July 2011.  jeronij decided to implement it both to draw attention to the fact that the site's hosting costs had grown, and to cut down on bandwidth consumption.  His philosophy about the site has always been that SC4 is the main focus, not off-topic matters or profile accessories like custom avatars.  It may make the site a bit more spartan, but SC4D still serves as an effective place to discuss and exchange knowledge about the game, to have an MD, and to download quality custom content.  It's a case of form following function.

As far as off-site linkage goes, we've actually experienced problems with some members linking external avatars from sites that have malware on them, which, in turn, has caused the site to be blocked for some members.

It's also worth noting, that if you're not among the groups that have custom avatar permissions, your current avatar will remain in tact, as long as you do not attempt to change it.

-Alex

mrbisonm

Thanks Alex, that cleared up what I wanted to know for some time. I guess I will have to become a subscriber now. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)