• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Plugin Issue

Started by BruceAtkinson, April 14, 2007, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceAtkinson

I should have re-worded my last submission.  I realise that the Plugin-in folder in Maxis is primarily for the EA/Maxis related Plugins, and the one in My documents is primarily for the Custom Content...however I did not think that two existed in C:Prpgram Files/Maxis....and they seem to be duplicated.  I'm wondering if it is safe to delete one of the two duplicates?
  Bruce

wouanagaine

C:Program Files/Maxis/SimCity4/Simcity4/Plugins ( ie 2 Simcity4 in the path ) won't be used by the game, so you can delete it ( well move it elsewhere first and make sure that does not change anything in your game, then really delete it after )

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BruceAtkinson

...again Thanks!  Now, do we know how the second folder got there...would it have been created because I reinstalled the actual game at one point, or possibly something the computer itself has done?
   Moreover, I assume that the Regions folder in the second SimCity4 is also duplicate.
  I realise I've said this many times before, however it is worth saying again....the more I play this game and interact here, the more I learn, both of the game and behaviour of computers!
Thanks to the esteemed membership!
Bruce

wouanagaine

The Program files region folder is used as a backup or if you want to reinitialize the original regions

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

stewart_garden

Bruce,

I have also had the problem of duplicate plugins folders in 'My documents' as you describe above.  I always assumed that it was because I had accidentally altered the file path when using installers for plugins, but have never tested this theory.  Hope this helps...

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

BruceAtkinson

Hey, thanks Stewart....however I seem to be ok with everything in 'My Documents"
What I have found is this: C:Program Files/Maxis/Simcity 4 and when one opens Simcity 4 everything that needs to be in there is, however another folder called SimCity 4 is also there, and open that up and you find the same files and folders, plus another SimCity 4 folder!  So I'm sitting here wondering if I actually have a duplicate game and if so, then possibly this situation could be causing the other issue we find in Wesley....most likely though, the two are not connected.
  Incidently, I have moved the two additional Plugin files, which was suggested to me in this thread, and no changes in my game play or behaviour, so obviously I can safely delete them and recover some HD space.  This is why I'm thinking I can do the same with the Region folder, as it appears to be a duplicate as well.  So the next logical step, and this is the dangerous one...am I able to delete the second Simcity 4 folder, as a whole....or am I asking for trouble? If we were to look at a Directory Tree it would be: C:Program files/Maxis/SimCity 4/SimCity 4
...and to tell the truth, I haven't noticed this before, but again...it is very rare that I go into the Maxis Folder area.
  By the way...is all this silly or is there something to it?
Bruce

snorrelli

Hey there - Stewart directed me over here... Just wanted to say I'll be following here to see how you fare with this issue and encourage you to follow my thread (see signature) as well.

If we figure anything out let's make sure to let each other know. We've got the makings of a pretty good support group going now, for sufferers of this "disease"... ;)
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

BruceAtkinson

Hello snorrelli!  Thanks so much for your concern, and yes I have been looking at your thread as well.  It seems we are suffering from the same disease!  Hmm', maybe we should call it prop-pox.
  Although, it seems to be localised in your city, whereas in Wesley, it is random and all over the city....and yes, we will certainly share any findings :)
  I must say that not only is there a very good support group related to this issue, but I find that everyone within SimDevotion is extremely helpful and friendly....Simcity certainly brings people from all over the world together, with opportunities to meet new friends....
  Thanks to you, Stewart and everyone else that is following this thread.....
Bruce

snorrelli

By the way, I meant to ask - is your affected city on a large city tile? I think all the times this has happened to me it has been large city tiles and Nardo confirmed it was a large tile in his case. I'm going to start putting together a list of commonalities...
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

BruceAtkinson

Yes, Wesley is a large city in area, however please remember the three sizes of saved files I posted, as each one of them are large cities in area, and Wesley is the only one affected by this issue.....not saying the others will not be in the future, but hey! we do not want to think about that! ;)

BruceAtkinson

...Hello? Calling Ripplejet!  Have you been reading through this thread and Snorrelli's?  If so, do you haver any suggestions?  It seems in Snorrelli's case, the issue seems to be confined to a definite area, and with me...it is random and appears anywhere in the city of Wesley.  Unfortunately, Snorrelli's problem has spread to a second city, so far...Wesley is the only city of mine that has this disease.
  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!
Bruce   

BarbyW

Ripplejet is currently away and will not have access to the Internet for at least this week.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

BruceAtkinson

...Thanks ever so much BarbyW!
     I trust all is well in your part of the world, and you are enjoying Summer
Bruce