• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tales at TeaTime

Started by TheTeaCat, May 22, 2007, 04:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Derry, if this post puts you back (as you put it) into the Classics, I'm going to chalk that up as my personal best for the week.  TaTT may very well be my all-time favorite MD around here, but that would be telling, wouldn't it- so suffice it to say I'm an all too frequent lurker. 

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us, and on your latest trip to OSITM-land.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bat

Congrats for your second award!!
And also congrats for more than 500 comments here!

Looking forward to more of Tales at TeaTime...

TheTeaCat

Got your cuppa? Sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin this update.

Ladies, Gentlemen and Lurkers :)

First of all may I say thank you once again for being awarded Special Interest for
the second time. I feel very honoured that I have been chosen for this especially
just as I pass the mark to enter an elite club.

I hope to be able to please you all in the next few weeks. I'm sure many many
cuppa's will be consumed while I get to have fun, mainly playing the game and
showing off ;)

There are milestones from the past few pages to be marked, honourable mentions to
specific people and general all round good stuff - just the sort of content for a special month.

I have some problems in a couple cities to deal with - maybe you can help but we
will get to that at a later date.

Right got to sort out the update and replies but first things first

I'm off to put the kettle on  ::) :D :D

I got the milk delivered ;) ;D

sugar should be here soon for those who take it ;)

Anybody care to join me?

:satisfied:
TheTeaCat.
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rooker1

You can count me in.  I have my coffee and I'm already sitting and relaxing, I'm at work.  hehehehe
Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Quote from: rooker1 on April 02, 2008, 06:57:13 AM
You can count me in.  I have my coffee and I'm already sitting and relaxing, I'm at work.  hehehehe
Robin  ;)

relaxing? at work? is that possible?

Me I was ill and had to leave work early &mmm

TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

Pat

LoL Derry you know you can count me in!!! OOOO playin hookie from work just to play tisk tisk.....  Either way Im glad to see what happens here this month!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ennedi

I'm here too!  :D

Congratulations Derry!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

Got your cuppa? Sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin this update.

Replies.

But first your cuppa

ok the replies

Quote from: RippleJet on March 29, 2008, 05:02:15 PM
Lovely w2w's and industries! :)

And you couldn't have found a better place for Burg Eltz! :thumbsup:
Hope the local planners won't suggest developing the areas next to the burg! $%Grinno$%

Thank you Tage. It wasn't easy to place but the effect was worth it.
The only development will be some formal gardens ;)

Quote from: Pat on March 29, 2008, 06:01:09 PM
Derry WoW!!! You definitely found a perfect spot for the Burg and did it such wonderful justice!!!!
Quote from: Pat on April 01, 2008, 12:37:39 PM
Heeeeeeeeeey Derry Congrats on your 2nd round in OSITM!!! What a honor to see you back in
this special light sire!!!...
a great biiiiiiiiiiiiiig cup of tea from me to you M8

Many thanks for a stalwart supporter. and the cuppa was well received :)

Quote from: Schulmanator on March 29, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
A fine assortment of buildings... I was already charmed when I saw Burg Eltz... that
placement put it over the top...

you now deserve a 100 litre kettle of tea for the awesomeness of your update!  :thumbsup:

Great stuff!

I am glad you liked what you saw. Hopefully I won't disapoint this month ;)
100 liters of tea is just about enough to celebrate with :)

Quote from: JBSimio on March 29, 2008, 07:28:09 PM
Great update, Derry!  You chose a wonderful setting for the Burg Eltz... but what really
caught my eye was the way you positioned it so that the stairs come down to the water.  It's
such a common "old world" feature, but there aren't many chances to mimic it.  The fact that
you did just puts it over the top.   &apls

JB

Jon
great to see you here my friend. The setting just appeared one night while looking at the
screen. i saw my opportunity to place it as i did to take advantage of Xannepan's skill with
the foundation. it worked out better than I hoped.
I love the fact the stairs run down into the water and there is more work to be done around
it but thats another update :)

Quote from: paroch on March 30, 2008, 03:34:19 AM
Great update there Derry,

I was looking for the things that aren't quite right.  Well, couldn't spot any.  Some pics
have a very "interesting" mix of architectural styles, but hey, isn't that one of the
beauties of this great game?
And saving the Burg for last was impressive.  The pics are awesome.  It's a great bat, but
your placement, plus the use of rocks, trees, bushes and the waterline make it a masterpiece.
Surely a winner in the picture comp.
And only a few more until you leave us in Best Sellers and take your place amongst the
classics - enjoy.

Paul

Paul
Thanks for your comments mate :)
There are a few blank spots that I noticed but then I know where they are, Ill get around to
sorting them out as we progress thru' the month stay tuned.
A varied mix of plugins (huge folder) and i let the sims do what they want. thats one of the
reasons my towns look so odd at times but I like it 'coz its different.
The only style that doesn't blend in well is mickebears Mediterranean  bats so shall have to
find a way to add them in tastefully :)

I shall have to show you my pics first before entering as you got that right straight to the
HoF. I was chuffed it won :)
And back o the classics too
2/2  not bad got any tips for the geegee's?

---------------------------------------------
Quote from: Ennedi on March 30, 2008, 03:57:21 AM
Hello Derry,

Your w2w pictures are beautiful, I especially like 5th, 6th and 7th one  :thumbsup:
But the Burg Eltz... I always knew you are one of the most creative guys here on this site! :D &apls
The place for the castle was chosen and arranged perfectly, it looks great from all sides
(and it is not easy - I know something about it  :D)
This castle has a very interesting feature, you can arrange the entrance road in different
ways depending on the terraforming. My castle in Shosaloza has a flat terrain under this part
of it and the entrance is shorter. You made a subtle slope and your entrance is much longer,
in addition you showed these nice stairs at the side of the wall  :thumbsup:
Also, the water mod and stones at the riverside give a very nice touch. I agree, the sunset
shot is fantastic!
I love also the road with the bridge and trees and the general view of the area. You created
a very nice harmony between groups of buildings and empty spaces. Beautiful update!

Adam

Adam

When I saw how you had used the Burg Eltz I was most impressed so I value your comments
greatly. I have learned many many things from you through your tutorials and hints and tips
and slope mod and ripple mod and waves mod and the list goes on and on. And watching what you
do in your MD just astound me as I consider you to be amongst the "Great Players" of the
game. Most of the stuff I displayed has in some way been influenced by you as you have
explained/displayed all those little things I just could not figure out in such easy terms.

Thank you Sir.

-------------------------------------------
Quote from: bat on March 30, 2008, 04:56:41 AM
That's a beautiful place for that Burg! And a lot of wonderful pictures in that great update!!

Looking forward to more...
Quote from: bat on April 02, 2008, 05:04:55 AM
Congrats for your second award!!
And also congrats for more than 500 comments here!
Looking forward to more of Tales at TeaTime...

Bat

Welcome back and thank you kindly for your comments from the start.
It is always great to see SC4's Hero visit and hope to continue welcoming you time and time
again. Glad you liked the Burg :)

--------------------------------
Quote from: jmyers2043 on March 30, 2008, 06:01:10 AM
Hello TTC

I enjoyed looking at every single picture of your update. I especially like the picture of
the castle sitting where the two rivers join. In fact, so much so that I've made an effort to
sort through my thought process as to why. It is a nice building no doubt. But that in and of
its self is not enough. You've placed it into a great setting. I found myself just sitting
looking at it. I discovered my mind wandering off as I created a story in my mind's eye. A
day dream based on a scene that became a virtual reality if even for a moment in time.  The
castle scene is one of those special pictures as it has the ability to elicit emotion and

appreciation.  And I thank you.

Thank you so much for the most wonderful of comments. This is probably the nicest thing that
has ever been said to me. ( I've gone all bashful now  )

Ladies and Gents
I copy a PM I sent to Mr Myers after I saw his comment as I was quite moved by what was said.

I never expected my pic to produce such an effect on somebody and again from an expert in his
own field concerning SC4. (it still give me a buzz when I read his words  )

Quote from: TheTeaCat on March 31, 2008, 02:38:43 PM
Dear Sir

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the most wonderful comment you made.

It is one of the nicest things that anybody has ever said to me. I felt very honoured that
my pictures produced such emotion and that you took the time to say so in such detail.

I have been an admirer of your skill and the work you so graciously share with the community
but never really took the time to say thanks.
I do now. Thank you.

I remain
yours sincerely

Derry *'******.

Aka TheTeaCat.

I'll shut up now :)

Quote from: catty on March 30, 2008, 10:50:30 AM
The pictures of the castle were just awesome &apls

Thank you very much indeed.
Hope to see you again.

Quote from: Yoman on March 30, 2008, 11:20:00 AM
Wonderful placement of that castle! Only 10 more comments until this excellent MD makes it to Classics!

Thank you very much indeed.

Quote from: meldolion on March 31, 2008, 01:15:53 AM
Great placement of the castle!!! Remembers me of Eilan Donan Castle, the Highlander castle in
Scotland...  &apls

Welcome back, its been a while since I last saw you here.hope not too long till the next
time.Glad you like the castle:)

Quote from: Simpson on March 31, 2008, 03:47:40 AM
It is very very beautiful, I really love your work but I do not like how you put the highway

Welcome and thank you.
It nice that you like what I do and also for being so honest. You know something I don't like
that highway either so I suppose I'll have to do something with that this month. I have a few
ideas so stay tuned.

Quote from: FrankU on March 31, 2008, 03:51:32 AM
Beautiful castle positioning! As accurate as a medieval knight would do it. &apls
Stupid question: where is the base texture?

Thanks a lot Frank
Thats not a stupid question. The lot in question sit on a 6x3 lot which the building covers by
the way it is modeled  so in effect has no base texture. the most dificult thing is getting a
street/road to the lot in such a way that it looks realistic. More shots of the Burg in a
further update will show what I mean.

Quote from: rooker1 on March 31, 2008, 05:41:05 AM
Super update, I love it.  And you did find the perfect setting for the castle. 
Robin  :thumbsup:
Quote from: rooker1 on April 01, 2008, 10:39:00 AM
Congrats Derry on the move to OSITM, very well deserved my friend.
I guess you'll be putting on the kettle for us all.
&apls &apls &apls

Robin

Many thanks for your comments.
The kettle is on continuous boil cycle for the rest of this month.
It will be the only way to keep up with demand :)

As you can see every fort will made to get the tea to people :)

Quote from: EDGE4194 on March 31, 2008, 03:51:47 PM
Derry- nice to have you back! That was a great selection of pictures and a great mix of

buildings.
Fantastic job with the placement of the Burg Eltz, it looks great there  :thumbsup: (I didn't
get a chance to vote on it in the contest  :( ). I must ask about the drive-in theater. Did
you lot that yourself, or find it somewhere?

Edge
Great to see you back also. The castle did work out rather well eh?

The dive in theater is believe it or not the Maxis original one. Zone a CS$4x4 when your at
the beginning stages of a town and one should pop up fairly quickly.
I notice that usually 2 (2x4) maxis flea markets appear first then the drive in.
I still think it looks a bit small but then what would I know as the only place I've ever
seen one is on a screen or in a book. We don't tend to have them in Europe.

-------------------------------------
Quote from: thundercrack83 on April 01, 2008, 10:36:55 AM
Congrats, Derry!

The Staff
------------------------------------------

Thanks Dustin.

Thanks to all the staff who do so much to make such a wonderful vibrant community.

--------------------------------------------

P.O.R.N

Its got your attention......
Find out more below........

---------------------------------------

Spotted:
I saw you :)

Coult,Grizzlybuilder, Vester

Glad you popped in,
Hope you liked what you see? You did? Great let me know
You didn't? what was it? I'll try to fix it but only if you tell me :)

------------------------------------------

Pics at long Last

The Town of Timoleague.

Now to be honest I can't remember if I've shown pics of this place or not but here we are in
any case.Approx 1,400 sims with very very basic facilities. I really don't want the town to
get too big so its difficult to get what I want to happen but hey thats part of the fun.[font]

An overview

please excuse the pause frames :)

As you can see in the next pic

while the farms an general bits and pieces are down it looks unfinished and while the SFBT

rural/diagonal fences are a Godsend it still didn't fit the gap. Out with the LE and whisk up

some seasonal hedgerows TTC style. add some of Jeroni's plop bushes and grass some trees,

some ASC ditches and you have this

throw in a dirt trail and suddenly things look a lot better

They are very basic lots using some seasonal props by CP for the bushes and hedges
and SFBT for the layout guide props.which I think work quite well in the circumstances
for which I need them

Anybody interested in using them?

The Town Chapel and Graveyard

and at night[font]

from a different angle that shows off the tower by NP relotted by me:)
gotta change the grass texture around the tower I think[font]

And now the bit you've all been waiting for  ::)

The P.O.R.N.[font]

and so you don't forget at nighttime where the shop is

And yes I know what you were thinking  ::)  $%Grinno$%

More good stuff to come.
Will we be back here or somewhere else or what next up my sleeve?

Hope you like what you saw :)

TTC

Pat

Derry Loved the P.O.R.N shop lol!!!! If I read that right its the Purvaince Of Religiouse Nick nacks and the update was great my friend,  I would be more then happier to use your fence's M8!!!!  I cant wait for more T@TT.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

EDGE4194

i loved it  :D.  I would love to see a close up of the farms in the lower right area of the tile.  (maybe that will be the next update?  ;))

Yoman

That must be a simgoober building, only he made BATs like that :P Great update though!

Heblem

actually that caught my attention to look at this MD was the word P.o:r.N   :D not really, dont think im such a...  ::)

As for your city tile pics looks so unique, thats why because you use a mix european country sides, farms, then some small towns with modern stores and old style homes. Never been to europe must must be a wonderful site from you are inspiring  :thumbsup: As for your style, a difference of a tea, better you deserve a "hot coffee"  :) 

Take care  ;)
edit: as for the frames try this mod at ST  ;)
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=18680

rooker1

I'm going for an esspresso this morning,

Love the update.  The cemetary was my favourite.  The old style tower looks perfect.  Where ever did you find that?
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Coffee in Teatime  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%
nooooooooo  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

me on coffee =  :discuss:  :bomb: %bur2$ ?$%kar&%h  %BUd% ?$%kar&%h + less sc4 + more time thumping keyboard

me on tea =  &bis& ()flower() /&HiPP/% ?=mad)= :sunny: + lots sc4

Made a cuppa for you lot here you go

you decide  :D :D

TTC

rooker1

Derry,
I'm really tired this morning, so I thought a nice cuppa esspresso would be good. 
But if you have a good special tea, I'll go with one of those.  ;)
We wouldn't want you to be upset.  We need more SC4 pics.
Robin
with a tea..... ::)
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Got your cuppa? Sitting comfortably?

LOL Robin

How about a teaser?

TheTeaCat

bat

That update is great there! Like the overview! And the "Town Chapel and Graveyard" - area is looking beautiful! Nice work on the farms! The teaser is also wonderful!

Looking forward to the next update...

sebes

Do I smell coffee - time to pop in.

Great updates Derry - especially the burg. Seing it again make me  :satisfied:

Congratulations with tha OSITM again!

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Pat

sniifffin around i smell the dark roast in here oooooooh no no no it cant be, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derry Love that teaser and please if you still have that stock in raspberry I would take a fresh cup of that please and thank sir.....  I cant wait for more of T@TT

TheTeaCat

Got your cuppa? Sitting comfortably?

Thank you all who visit and especially those who leave comments.

Everybody is welcome to say something especially if you don't like something , tell me why I'll try to fix it.
Just remember I don't go for realism I build as I like :D

Its ok I won't scratch $%Grinno$%

ok then on with the show

Replies

Quote from: Pat on April 02, 2008, 06:45:43 PM
Derry Loved the P.O.R.N shop lol!!!! If I read that right its the Purveyance Of Religious
Nick Nacks and the update was great my friend,  I would be more then happier to use your
fence's M8!!!!  I cant wait for more T@TT.....

LOL yep you read that right but man your spelling. No raspberry tea for you till you get a
spell chequer mate :grinno:
I think you'll have to get your eyes tested too coz' those are seasonal hedgerows. no man made
manipulated pieces of wood in there. Its all natural grown :)
Still I'm am glad to see you mate and shall run down to shops and get some bags just for you.

Quote from: EDGE4194 on April 02, 2008, 07:49:46 PM
I loved it  :D.  I would love to see a close up of the farms in the lower right area of the
tile.  (maybe that will be the next update?  ;))

Great to see you again mate.
Ok I shall see what i can do for you re; those pics - stay tuned.

BTW Did you know you DID something amazing in my MD?

NO? 

Bet your wondering what it is now eh?

Quote from: Yoman on April 02, 2008, 09:10:31 PM
That must be a simgoober building, only he made BATs like that :P Great update though!

Nice to see you again and thanks for commenting. Yep you are correct. the P.O.R.N. shop is
made by simgoober himself available in one of his commercial packs.

---------------

Quote from: Heblem on April 03, 2008, 01:45:09 AM
actually that caught my attention to look at this MD was the word P.o:r.N   :D not really,
don't think I'm such a...  ::)
As for your city tile pics looks so unique, thats why because you use a mix European country
sides, farms, then some small towns with modern stores and old style homes. Never been to
Europe must must be a wonderful site from you are inspiring  :thumbsup: As for your style, a
difference of a tea, better you deserve a "hot coffee"  :) 
Take care  ;)
edit: as for the frames try this mod at ST  ;)
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=18680

It probably caught most peoples eyes and am sure it would have even without OSITM :)
Thanks for the comments. As for the cities i put all my plugins in, select all styles and let
the sims do what they want.

If you get the chance you should try and visit Europe but suggest not doing it by bicycle
like me, takes a long time that way 3 1/2 years but got to see it up close and personal.
Thanks for the link.
I do have it but don't like it as it makes me think the game has frozen when I use it:)

Quote from: rooker1 on April 03, 2008, 05:01:52 AM
I'm going for an espresso this morning,
Love the update.  The cemetary was my favourite.  The old style tower looks perfect.  Where
ever did you find that?
Quote from: rooker1 on April 03, 2008, 05:54:17 AM
Derry,
I'm really tired this morning, so I thought a nice cuppa espresso would be good. 
But if you have a good special tea, I'll go with one of those.  ;)
We wouldn't want you to be upset.  We need more SC4 pics.
Robin
with a tea..... ::)

Thank you Robin. The cemetary worked very well with Jeroni's rural walls especially with Mbear
church. They all complement each other well.

As for the tower here is a Linkie

As for the coffee thanks for the offer but will stick to my TEA.
I have no objection to what people drink in the own homes/work. $%Grinno$%

Just don't stir my tea with your coffee spoon and we will all get on fine:)

If you want a real good espresso try a blend called "Velout Noir", failing that get some
Jamaican Blue Mountain. They will wake you up

Quote from: bat on April 03, 2008, 06:19:02 AM
That update is great there! Like the overview! And the "Town Chapel and Graveyard" - area is
looking beautiful! Nice work on the farms! The teaser is also wonderful!
Looking forward to the next update...

Bat
How great to see you back again . Glad you like what you see.
Hurry back more good things to come.

Quote from: sebes on April 03, 2008, 02:06:05 PM
Do I smell coffee - time to pop in.
Great updates Derry - especially the burg. seeing it again make me  :satisfied:
Congratulations with that OSITM again!

Sebes

Thanks mate

Great to see you again. The Burg Eltz is probably one of my best bits of work and I
am very pleased with it.
Also chuffed it got to the HoF.

---------------------------
Quote from: Pat on April 03, 2008, 05:25:08 PM
sniifffin around i smell the dark roast in here oooooooh no no no it cant be,
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derry Love that teaser and please if you still have that stock in raspberry I would take a
fresh cup of that please and thank sir.....  I cant wait for more of T@TT

see above re your tea :)

Nice image I think I'll leave it it your post as a reminder :):):)

OK one of the plans I have for this special month is to sort out the motorway that runs
through Shaphiyr-Harren.Over the years development encroached up to the edge of it and as you can imagine the local
residents ( idiots that they are bought/built homes there) (or maybe it was the town planner zoning that area for residential growth)
(but more likely it was me not having enough TEA :)) moved in and started to complain immediately about the noise and pollution.

Anyhow with enough being enough and the town coffers swelling action is being sought, after
all where is that revenue being spent - bits here and there but more is required cry the sims.

"Climate change" they cry, "Congestion, and all the other stuff."

"So what" the Mayor says.

"Sort it out" they answer back.

"Why, you're the ones causing it!" he replies "I do my bit"

"But.. (in a pleading tone) It's getting worse!"

"Ok then, I will but...."

"Yes. But what?"

"It'll will cost you"

"Anything" they eagerly respond, then one bright spark at the back said "How much?"

"Taxes - More of them! Lots more of them"

An audible groan was heard "haven't we paid enough"

The mayor responds" Ok let me sum this up"

"You Want Me to sort out the pollution, congestion, the public transport, the amnities,

parks/recreation areas, the housing shortage, more jobs and health/police/education?"

"YES" they thunder

"And you expect me to do this by myself?"

"OH"

"It's going to cost a bit to sort it out and the only way I can do that is to call somebody

in!"

"Not the .....? Really?"

"You all think TheTeaCat comes cheap?"

"TheTeaCat....

We are Boiling

We are Boiling

We are Boiling the kettles now

We are Boiling

We are Boiling

We are Boiling the kettles now"

"All hail the Keeper of the Kettle
Our thirst shall be quenched"

ok back on track.

that blinking motorway is wrong the now that some development has taken place
so an alternative is required.

Congestion for the most part is not too bad but the are a few spots that need sorting out
as you can see here

even the tube is used a fair bit

Now they're a few plans being tabled as to what to do and a sunken Motorway (MW)
seems to be about the only viable one with route a or b being the most likely.
Some controversial wit suggested route c bu this will require much restructuring of the city
and with so many new high rises being newly built I'm sure those developers would require

some substantial recompense for their loss of their work.

One of the major obstacles to factor in is the terrain we are talking about. See here

the lowest point of the MW is 266.6m as per the terrain query and the lowest point I
can safely lower the terrain to is 253.3m Another .2m lower and the water table appears
so as you can see building a sunken MW here is going to be difficult so another solution is

required.

So stay tuned for developments

TTC

How about a TEAser?