• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tales at TeaTime

Started by TheTeaCat, May 22, 2007, 04:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTeaCat

Got your cuppa? Sitting comfortably?

Replies

To all Lurkers,Thank you for taking the time to visit my MD.
It would be great if you left a comment, but if not Thanks for dropping by :)

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on July 12, 2008, 04:13:00 PM
Nice to have you back, I had noticed you've been away ;).
The improvement in the area is great.  I love the mixture of different fences, hedges, and walls to
separate out the fields, the field layouts look a lot more intentional now.  The sam streets also go a
long way in transforming the scene.

Great use of flora, and I really like the hedges :thumbsup:.  Lastly, the photoshopping of the colors
is superbly done to bring out each image I think.  Great update Derry.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
Most of the improvements made in this area would not have been possible except for your wonderful creations.
I accidentally put some flora on the plowed fields and it look so good it stayed. In fact it is possible
to use it on all but the plain plowed  standard maxis fields. weird eh?
as for the hedges , just a little LE work with some props(mostly maxis and CP's seasonal hedge.) I need
to sort out my straight to diagonal ones better but for a stop gap they are sufficient till I reenter the tile.

The photoshopping is just some adjustment on the saturation and contrast and adding a frame.

Quote from: threestooges on July 12, 2008, 07:43:35 PM
Derry,
I had noticed that you had been a bit quiet recently, but it's good to see you back, and to hear that
things are settling down. It's like looking at two completely different areas. I agree with Chris about
the use of the SAM. The flora, the rocks, the walls, the hedges, everything works great together. I
think pic 3 is may favorite of the update. There's something about that field on the left that makes it
look natural/real. The pieces used in pic 4 though are really good too. They make a great custom farm
compound. Certainly this update warrants a cuppa the stuff. Until the next one, take it easy.
-Matt

Matt
thanks you kind words my friend.
The improvements certainly make the area, you just got to see how much more window dressing there is to be done
on that particular tile so we may be here a while longer :)
plenty of before and after pics to come and much tea to be consumed ;)

ps I always do :)

Quote from: bat on July 13, 2008, 05:40:18 AM
Great new update there, TTC!
And nice work on that area! Looks really good now!
And the random shots are also fantastic!
Looking forward to the next...

Bat
It is always good to see you here and i'm glad you like the improvements.
I tried my best to capture a small town feel and there will be more pics showing the random areas in
better detail so stay tuned:)

Quote from: EDGE4194 on July 13, 2008, 06:36:08 AM
Welcome back Derry  &apls
The area looks much better now. I agree with Chris's comments.
Glad things have quieted down for you and looking forward to the next update.  :)

Edge

thanks a lot mate :thumbsup:
RL is RL and you have to deal with it so ...., but more free time means more updates
so you have something to look forward to :)
And not too long either ;)

Quote from: vester on July 13, 2008, 06:39:02 AM
Welcome back Derry.
Love your farmland.

Thanks a lot vester
there is a lot more rural areas crying for attention so stay tuned

Quote from: Meastro444 on July 13, 2008, 07:08:46 AM
looks really good TTC!
the trees you plopped in near the bends in the streets, are those lots? or mayor/god mode trees? it
really adds the 'touch'. Its as realistic as it gets!

Thanks Meastro444

Those trees are a combination of SFBT's filler lots, some plop mayor mode trees and Chris's flora.
The before and after pics reflect this. You really don't know how many times I saved and reloaded that tile
- it was a lot.

QuoteIts as realistic as it gets!
Thank you that means a lot :)

Quote from: paroch on July 13, 2008, 08:14:37 AM
Derry,
Hey you've been missed and with farm pics like that you can see WHY you've been missed.  I'm sat here
trying to work out how much of it is custom LE, how much is very clever use of LEX stuff and how much
is just down to your imagination.
I really like the stone walls, so very English countryside (and Irish too I guess).  Can I ask where
they're from please?
I've looked through the pics a few times now to pick out something particular to comment on, but it's
all just sooooo good.  I love the Church, with the St George's banner, nice touch.  And the way you've
handles the transition from road, fence, grass to field in pic 3 is very very special.  I sense a few
HoF pics in here, best I keep out of the competition in case I come up against you ;)
Good to see you back,

Paul

Paul
Thank you for such a wonderful comment.

Lets help you out a bit.
The hedgerows are some LE work as I said to Chris, everything is is a downloaded lot not touched in any
way and the rest is how i covered those odd spaces with the plop flora and some luck with how stuff
turned out. and some imagination  ()stsfd() ()stsfd()

Those walls I downloaded off the STEX and will try to get the link for you asap.

Seems you sense were tuned right as yes I did get a HoF just as you predicted. And you know what I
can't wait for the day to compete against you mate. What with your spectacular work it would be a great
battle I think so lets hope that it's soon :thumbsup:

good to be back too :)

Quote from: Schulmanator on July 14, 2008, 11:46:07 AM
A fine welcome back update for us! As we say around here... looks purty!!  &apls

Well gee shucks, its great to see you liked it.

ps Missing any monkeys? (what's he on about now?)

Quote from: catty on July 14, 2008, 11:38:00 PM
This is very much a post and run as I have a lot going on in RL at the moment, but if you can't sit
down and have a cup of tea ......
The farmland is looking great, those fences just seem to add the final touch to things and I really
love the church with its old been there for centuries looking graveyard
()what() what are the sidewalks around the church the cobblestone/brick looks very natural.
Got to go my tea break is over ... glad to see you back again

Cathy

I can understand your situation but yers you have to stop for a cuppa every now and then
and am so pleased you choose here for yours. ;)
Almost everything you see here are the lots as they come from whatever ..EX and will find out where the
church comes from for you. I agree it lends to the feeling its been there for ages.

The paths are the BSC park lots with the rock texture and I think add to the effect that different
areas were worked on in different times but paid by the town or the chuch.

Tea break over so soon, gonna go fill the kettle up for your next one :)

Quote from: caspervg on July 15, 2008, 12:39:31 AM
Very nice, I love the smalltown setting in picture 5. Splendid work  %wrd

Thanks very much Casper. The small town works well I think - more from there at a later date ;)

Quote from: rooker1 on July 15, 2008, 04:55:23 AM
Very sweet update.  It's been a little while since your last update, but this makes up for the wait. 
And I agree with your PM to me.  That picture you entered in the SC4 Picture Contest is very good and
maybe your best work yet.  But that area looks very well made and I think any picture from there will
look great.  I would like to see a picture from that area with the sun setting or rising.  ;)  I think
it would add just that little something. 
It's always nice to stop by here.
Robin  :thumbsup:

Cheers Robin

Real life took over for a while but its good to be back.
Nice way to come back ( an update that lots like and a HoF winning pic to boot). I tried hard on this
area,not only with the game but with the editing of the pics too and am very pleased with the overall result.

Lots more pics to come from all around there so stay tuned and I'll include some specials for you;)

It's always great to see you here, you are always welcome.

Quote from: Jmouse on July 15, 2008, 08:37:24 AM
Welcome back to the land of fantasy, Derry! You're doing a wonderful job on the farms - I
especially like Pics 1 and 4. The stone walls in pic 2 bathed in the glow of evening are mighty
fetching too, though.

There's a nice variety of structures in pic 5, and I especially like the little red-fronted
building in the lower right quad. I'm going to guess it's commercial, and it makes me think of older
downtown areas in small towns. And of course, night shots are always favorites!

Glad to hear you'll have more time to spend on creative pursuits...
Joan

Back in Fantasy land Yeaaah( or back in your box as some should say )
The area badly needed some work and lots more too so we will be here for a while which will please you I think.

Lots more closeups of town and the surrounding area's - lots to explore.
It's good to have some free time again so lets see what is accomplished in the coming weeks.

Quote from: Pat on July 15, 2008, 08:59:35 AM
edit pic  for consistency :)
There you go Derry a dust buster just for ya's my friend and hopefully that will help in clearing up
the dust from everything....  Loved this update and I can't wait till the next one!!!

Pat
Very handy too mate, thanks a lot.
Glad you like it mate - next one not long now

Quote from: Ennedi on July 15, 2008, 11:22:37 AM
Derry, your ideas are really fantastic!  &apls

I like photo editing very much, it gives very realistic appearance :thumbsup:
Stone walls look perfect, and finishing farmfields (and diagonals) is a masterpiece  :)

But most of all I like the way you used new Chris' grasses! It was a great idea to use them on green
farmfield background - but it looks perfect in other places too!

And I guess you made something with water ripples... ;)?

Beautiful pictures!
Adam

PS. Sorry for my absence, I have much work now  &sly. But I spend some time with SC4 too, I started
some new themes and they need much time to finish. Of course I don't know if it will be anything
interesting, but I am trying  ;D

Adam

Thank you for such wonderful words.

Some simple work on the contrast and saturation was all it was for the photo editing.

The grid must be conquered :) and I tried my best;)

Actually as I said to Chris that was more of an accident which turned out well so it stayed. I noticed
that they don't work well with the plain mud fields but work with the rest and I've got more areas on
which to experiment on so lets see what happens there.

QuoteAnd I guess you made something with water ripples... ;)?

Well spotted. :):):)
Yes I dl'd you ripple mod and messed about with it a bit. More on that at a later date with pics to show too.

I can understand your situation with life but remember to take time for yourself and RELAX. just forget
about everything for a while and have a cuppa. we most certainly don't want a repeat eh?

Next update wont be long
but I can hear the kettle boiling so
I gotta go make some TEA

See you all soon

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

TheTeaCat

TEAser

TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

sebes

Wow - I rrealize just now that I have not been here for a Loooooong time. My last view was at page 33! Gotta chance my reading habbits a bit... but on the other hand: there is too much to read in the MD section to follow it all. Anyhow, I am glad that YOU are back and okay and kicking and all again.

I love the last "negative" photo. Lovely! 

***got my cuppa - sitting comfortably - teased-to-the-bones awaiting what'll be comming up next... ***
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

rooker1

I'm definately teased.  What's next?  I've had several cuppa this and that.  :D
See you soon.....I hope.  ;)
I'd like to see more of this area.
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Nice teaser! And looking forward to more pictures of that rural area... ;)

Alfred.Jones

I'm definitely TEAsed $%Grinno$%

Nice looking Inverted Rural Area though ;D

Looking forward to more

Sim City 4 Devotion

TheTeaCat

Replies

Quote from: sebes on July 18, 2008, 03:21:00 AM
Wow - I realize just now that I have not been here for a Loooooong time. My last view was at page 33! Gotta chance my reading habbits a bit... but on the other hand: there is too much to read in the MD section to follow it all. Anyhow, I am glad that YOU are back and okay and kicking and all again.

I love the last "negative" photo. Lovely! 

***got my cuppa - sitting comfortably - teased-to-the-bones awaiting what'll be coming up next... ***

Sebes
Welcome back glad you got your cuppa. With so many great MD's to read here now Its understandable how one can miss updates here and there. The longer your away, the bigger the welcome when you come back :)

Quote from: rooker1 on July 18, 2008, 04:26:02 AM
I'm definitely teased.  What's next?  I've had several cuppa this and that.  :D
See you soon.....I hope.  ;)
I'd like to see more of this area.

Robin, that's what Teaser's are all about :)
Wanna see more - scroll down my friend

Quote from: bat on July 18, 2008, 05:41:48 AM
Nice teaser! And looking forward to more pictures of that rural area... ;)

Thanks Bat - see below for more  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Alfred.Jones on July 18, 2008, 07:52:33 AM
I'm definitely TEAsed $%Grinno$%

Nice looking Inverted Rural Area though ;D

Looking forward to more

Great to see you again Alfred. All you have to do to see more is follow the advice above ;)

Spotted :Haljackey, JoeST

Overview

We shall be staying in this tile for a while, as there are lots of little details to finish off to
my satisfaction

The last update centered on "Green Acres"

Where this Hall of Fame pic was the result

This visit will be centered on "Riverside Stables"

Where i got Another Hall of Fame picture

()stsfd() ()stsfd() ()stsfd()

now for some close ups

As you can see in this pic the only change so far is the SAM.

And here we go after some detailing

Chris's flora is great mixed here with JRJ's plop bushes and some CP's rocks and logs :)

taking some advice from the pic comp I trimmed the original unedited pic down a bit
and it looks much more balanced now I think.  :)

Close ups of the stables now

a reminder of the tile again ::)

Messing about with Ennedi's ripple mod gave these results

Most of this rural farmland has been bought by a housing Developer.
Lets hope he respects the area and builds appropriate housing ;)

the town of Currabinney

Next update maybe? finish this area

Finally
Larger region shot where there is still quite a bit to do :)

as you can see ;)

Hope you all enjoyed this update
see you soon

TTC

Schulmanator

More than a cuppa... this great update deserves...

A GIANT CUPPA!  %BUd%
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Chrisadams3997

Great pictures Derry.  The only thing I'm not wild about is the bright dirt texture under some of the roads(the ones next to ag zones).  I think that this comes from one of the sidewalk mods, but I'm not sure.

The stables themselves are my favorite here, but the transitions from terrain to the farm fields is very well done as well.

bat

Wonderful new update there, TTC!
And that area looks really beautiful! Great details on it! Fantastic pictures - also the HoF ones!

Looking forward to more... ;)

EDGE4194

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on July 19, 2008, 09:32:05 PM
Great pictures Derry.  The only thing I'm not wild about is the bright dirt texture under some of the roads(the ones next to ag zones).  I think that this comes from one of the sidewalk mods, but I'm not sure.

chris said what i was going to say about the dirt shoulders in the farm zones- they bother me as well (which mod is it anyway?). Anyway, fantastic
update. There's always so many different details to see in each pic.

TheTeaCat

Quote from: EDGE4194 on July 20, 2008, 05:57:30 AM
chris said what i was going to say about the dirt shoulders in the farm zones- they bother me as well (which mod is it anyway?).

Chris, Edge,and all other interested parties

the dirt shoulders are a result of the a sandstone texture replacement mod. Where I got it and who made it escape me for the moment.

Its very inconvenient at times but it also makes me focus on getting the roadsides right, so in a way its a help, as you can spot the little bits a mile away after a while.

Where I grew up we didn't have big wide open roads and spaces, usually tight, windy, overgrown hedgerows so that is what I try to aim for.

Glad you all like what you see so far :thumbsup:

Back soon with proper replies

TTC

ejc

that are some awesome rural shots!!

I like the use of Jer. plop water surrounded by fences

got some ideas.. thank you  :P

E

Jmouse

Derry, your talent for creating picturesque rural scenes filled with fascinating details really shines in this update. The close-up shots are a pleasure to look at - each has an aura of multi-level detail work that brings it to life. A gate open here, a well-placed log there - it all works very well together.

The last photo caught my eye, too
- I like the way you've arranged the fields. The ones I see near my home are terribly boring by comparison. Other than a point already addressed, I think you've done a wonderful job of creating beauty from bare ground! :thumbsup:

Later...
Joan

thundercrack83

Hello, my good friend!

I have to apologize for not stopping in here earlier. Things have been a bit hectic for me lately and I find myself becoming a bit forgetful...

I can say with certainty though, that no matter when I stop in here, the quality of work is going to be exemplary! Your farmlands are always so pleasing to the eye, and now with the incorporation of the SAM dirt roads and the RRP fence lines, you've taken things to a whole new level!

I'll be looking forward to seeing more, my friend!

Take care,

Dustin

JBSimio

Hi Derry,

I also must apologize for missing the past month or so.  I really enjoyed your most recent update.   &apls  I'm so impressed with all those little touches that make your farms so great.  I wish I had the patience to detail things that much, but I guess I'll just stick with region shots for now.  ;)  The "Green Acres" closeup was especially good and I have no trouble seeing why it went to the HOF.

Til next time...
Jon

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Simpson

Woow really good update TTC
I love the fields who are really réalistic
The nature is incredible great job with the RRP
Continue  :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

paroch

Derry,

Your farms are right up there.  I've just put together my next update which is rural.  And whilst I'm pleased with it, I know that I should do better.  And just seeing your update tells me I MUST do better.  You have given me many ideas  here that I will try to emulate and use (I know you won't mind, after all imitation is the greatest form of flattery).

One question....... With the SAM road the ziggy zaggy diagonals look bad, so you covered them adn took away the zigs and zags - but I did not understand how you did that?  I'm guessing it must be "obvious" but not to me  :D  Any pointers are apprecaited.

As for the update - yes, it's top notch.  I said that first one was a Hoffer if ever I saw one.  The second one must have been during my "no internet access" period or else I'd have been voting it along as well.

And make sure you keep that house developer under control, I'd hate to see all those farms converted into semis!

All the best,

Paul

FrankU

This is really great work, so full of detail! It must take hours to detail these areas.

Astonishing work.  &apls

And I also found out: Chris' ploppable flora is really great. It makes painting the whole landscape possible. Sometimes I even forget to push the "run" button of the game for a complete evening.

Zane