• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Wow, Thanks....I don't know what to say...errr.....and I forgot my notes at home too..... Well thanks to everyone.
I don't know how this *of special interest this month* works or what it actually means (have to do some research now), but it sounds great. Now I'm really all fired up to deliver more and better stuff in this MD. Does this last one whole month?

turtle, I don't which started, but when I finished creating the region, I thought it would be a good idea to start another CJ/MD with a story, just like NoG.(Nexis of Genesis)
Btw, this is not the highway construction yet, only an access road to where the highway will be build. Stay tuned for some amazing pics of the highway under construction, some new Nexis BATs again.

I will have to fly to Toronto by the end of the week and I will probably not have the time to update before sunday night.
Thanks for dropping in and say hello.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

rooker1

Congrats MrB
You start your MD one month ago, now you are on your 8th page and in OSITM.  A big congrats to you, it is very well deserved.  &apls

Yes you are here for a month to show case your talents and if you can find some time to do something special for us, than that would be great, but even if you continue as you have....it's going to be a great month following your MD.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

metarvo

Congratulations on OSITM, Fred!  I knew from the beginning of The Winding River Project that it had high potential.  Let's get ready for a good month here!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mrbisonm

Hey, that sounds ......important?...lol.... Great, so let's rock n' roll and do some serious MD'ing this month...... ;)
Thanks folks, seriously....I just started.  %confuso

Fred

Pat

Fred congrats on your wonderful award for you!!! OSITM as its abbrevated and I know you will rock out!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

yeah Loads of congratulations, you definitely deserve it, this MD ROCKS!

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

kimcar

&apls &aplsCongrats Fred for this OSITM , it`s well deserve . OSITM means if you win one , that you have to pay for the beer and peannuts for the whole month  :D You better go to the grocery right away , cause i saw bunch of people comming. ;D

FrankU

bat

Great update and congrats for that award! :thumbsup: &apls

NASCAR_Guy

less than a month and you've already been in three MD forums. $%Grinno$%
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

mightygoose

Right said fred, just don't drop dead fred, great work and truly well deserved..
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

mrbisonm

Quote from: NASCAR_Guy on April 02, 2009, 06:51:45 PM
less than a month and you've already been in three MD forums. $%Grinno$%

lol, yeah, that's right, I didn't think of it that way. 3 categories....wow....is that a record?....lol, Well anyways, to me it's proof that the MD is worth continuing. Thanks folks.

Quote from: mightygoose on April 02, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
Right said fred, just don't drop dead fred, great work and truly well deserved..

I have no intention to do so....... $%Grinno$%

Fred

mrbisonm

Late August came quicker as everyone believed. The works on the highway access roads are to be finished by december according to plan, but only yesterday another problem appeared. The access road will soon be on the shores of the mighty Winding River. Logging has come to about 500 meters from the banks by now.
While the plans indicate precisely the route that the road should take on the borders of the river, Mike Allheimer, the responsable Manager for the Winding River Project, has discovered another problem that the architects didn't think of.
When the arpenters came close to the river, they realized that the river sometimes inondates the land up to 200 meters on each side of its banks. The proof was shown by treestumps and logs way inside the terrain that were somehow washed up by the river's torrents some time ago.
If a road would be constructed near the banks, it would only be a matter of time that the river would wash it away within a few hours.
Mike brought up the problem and now architects have to figure out how to either contour the riverbanks in the best way or build a road solid enough to withstand the temporary and intermittant inondations every spring or so.
The problem is big enough  for John Gabber to take note and he is seen almost everyday near the access road construction site. John is eager to actually start the construction of Highway 30 itself, which was promissed to the government to be ready by the end of 1959, only three years from now. Worries start to install themselves throughout the leaders of this project.

«« I haven't seen much of Dad in the last weeks, he does'nt seem to have any freetime for us anymore, even Mom is getting worried. Dad leaves early in the morning before I even get up and comes home only after we all have gone to bed. I know that John Jr, my brother told me one day all about father's implications of this new project of his, but I somehow don't really understand why he doesn't even show up on weekends for us anymore.
Yesterday I saw a picture of our new weekendhome near the Grasslake on the kitchen counter and I was surprised to see that the construction wasn't finished yet, although it started almost a month ago. I also thought that father would have taken a picture with his new camera that even shows the colours now, but I guess he is still using the old one. " Your father has many other things to do than take care of his cottage," Mother told me this morning, "Besides, he was eagerly waiting for the electrical lines to be installed before continuing the works, and he told me that they were installed only 2 days ago. Look at the picture, you can see the lamp-posts now, but I'm not sure if they're working yet." she added.»»

While Mike was going nuts on the construction site, John was pushing him even furthermore, reminding him every day of the promess to be ready that specific day in december.
Meeting Mike at the very end of the finished access road, John wanted to know everything there was to know about where they were at. Mike got out the plans and spread them on the table and on the ground and got right straight to the problem of the riverbanks and possible inondations.
It took John only a couple of seconds to think it over while making this strange face of his that he always makes when in questions and he came up with the idea of the sunken woodpoles used on the Greenriver banks to keep the roads in place. What a great idea Mike thought and he was going to get in contact with the Company who had them installed in the Hobbard County.

«« " One last thing Mike, " John said while he was about to leave the construction site, " Did Andy the Logging foreman contact you about the logproblem they have at the other end?", " Yeah, he told me that a few weeks ago and I think I found a solution, " Mike answered, " My neighbor's son works for the Aberdeen Sawmill since several years in the Treppel County, he's the foreman there and only 18 years old, but he is one of those most eager guys that nothing can stop. The only problem is," Mike added with a slightly worried face, " he's willing to start and build a sawmill close by and go on his own, but doesn't have all the money needed to construct it." Mike just stood there, making this funny and slightly offset serious face again and then asked, " Who is this?", " His father is Dean Slye, my neighbor down on the beach where you always pick me up when you come with that hydroplane of yours, but I don't know his son's name. On his Pickup truck he's got the initials T.S. painted on", Mike answered with his shoulders almost touching his ears. " I know Dean, he worked for my father once," John said and while stalling the conversation for a short moment he added, " Get this *TS* fellow come to my home late tommorrow night, maybe I have the solution to his money problem.", and he left without saying another work.»»
At the very end of the logging site, workers were told to go home leaving everything right there, until the matter of the riverbanks have been cleared. Less than half a kilometer away from the big river, now the question arrises whether to use the woodpole construction to counterattack the possibilities of inondations or simply detour the access road through the swamps on Racsan's lands, which Racsan himself surely would greatly appreciate and agree with.

Sorry that I didn't have time for a bigger update, but I will post another one in the near future. The next time we will see the end of the first access road and the beginning of the Highway construction. They finally did it and to celebrate this they had one big champagne party with all the 450 workers that is still remembered today.

Have a nice weekend and hey, thanks to all the readers and commenters.

Fred

kimcar

&apls &apls It`s about time someone do some fallen tree . Do you plan to release it. Sorry for asking but ther so great  ;D

BarbarossaS

I agree with kimcar, they'd be a great addition to many forrests, all we got now are plain barks

and fred, great update, you tell the story like you've actually lived it, such details  :thumbsup:
getting ready for the first update on the highway ;D

antimonycat

You've got some nice stuff here and I especially like the images of your forest shorelines. I'll keep watching this.

Kitsune

That construction looks so realistic, its exactly what you get a peak at with the upgrading and re-alignment of the main road between Toronto and Sudbury (trans canada highway passes thru town).
~ NAM Team Member

marsh

this is asome! ;D
10 thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

maby i could be a character in your city? ;)

btw... what terrain mod & tree controller are you using??

mrbisonm

Thank you all.
kimcar, the fallen treeprops exist already. You can find them on Peg's site, he is the creator.
BarbarossaS, still working on some new BATs for the Grand highway construction update.
antimonycat, glad you like the shorelines, I put some time into these.Thanks.
Kitsune, don't tell me the TCH will pass through Sudbury now?
marsh ,  if you want create a character in my MD, pm me and tell me what you would like, I need some more.

The terrainmod is Cycledog's Olympic terrain, rock and beach mod and all (I think 17) treecontrollers available on the net.

Fred

Kitsune

Quote from: mrbisonm on April 05, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
antimonycat, glad you like the shorelines, I put some time into these.Thanks.
Kitsune, don't tell me the TCH will pass through Sudbury now?
The TCH always has passed through Sudbury, all thought right now it goes around the south end of the city - there plans to make it a full expressway within the city. Actually, Sudbury is at a junction for two TCH routes - 17 west to La Soo and Winnipeg, east to Ottawa and 69 (although 69 is being superceded by highway 400) to Toronto. :) Curious though, have you ever been to Sudbury, if so when? The City is nothing like it was 20-30 years ago - infact it doesnt even look like the same city in some areas.
~ NAM Team Member