• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steVie

I've used some of your Nexis products in my cities, and it just leaves me speechless what some of you guys/gals can do with this game.  It's amazing watching that summer house being built as you've got it detailed to a tee.  Keep up the tremendous work and great storyline.  I'll be watching
Hi there..

kimcar

&apls &apls I really enjoy watching what you gonna show to us . It`s always nice to see your props for making this game so real. Great work my friend :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Thanks for the comments.

I spent more than an hour to figure out how to work the RHW and I came to a point where I have about tried every possible combination of plopping to create something that looks reasonable, but without any success (see picture below). Either I am missing a lot of things or I am simply too darn stupid to plop things right, ( although in one hour I plopped a lot of possibilities you know?....lol) or the RHW is not complete and I am missing files or something or simply the RHW is not a finished product. Besides the instructions that I found in the readme are very limited and don't make things easier. (also missing some explanations)
Anyways what I saw and tried in that 80 minutes didn't please me at all and it gave me a headache trying to figure out what is what and why how , and when a game becomes *stressfull* like this, it isn't a game anymore in my opinion and then better change it.
So I decided to go back with the original Maxis Highway that doesn't have any problems making entries and/or exits and everything fits without going through a whole pluginsfolder and using the home/End key so much that it is used right off the keyboard.
Sorry, you will have to look at a regular ground Maxis highway.

;) I'm going to bed now and have some nightmares about this........ &cry2

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

CaptCity

Another great update, as always... The realistic construction areas (and the accompanying details) make me feel like I'm right there on the ground. It will be very interesting to watch and see if or how Access Junction develops. Too bad about the summer cottage, though. Although it sounds like the new spot has real possibilities.

Oh yes, I feel your pain with the RHW, but don't give up. It would be very intriguing to see how you would wind it through the wilderness (Just a thought, though... It is your plan, after all)

Great job, and looking forward to more...

-CaptCity

mike3775

mrbisonm.

I had the same issues that you have with the RHW, but if you hit tab, the colored lines will line up eventually, you have to cycle through them though.

I am enjoying this MD a lot, and I decided to take city building slower than I normally do for fun and have found that the game is even more enjoyable when you go nice and slow.

BTW, are those construction lots that you use available anywhere?  I like them a lot

Again great job so far and am looking forward to the next chapter

bat

Great work on the newest update there! It looks beautiful! Nice story there, too! :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

CaptCity, Access Junction should have a great possibility to develop positively into a small town soon. Situated like this on a a busy intersection and close to a crystal clear small lake, it will have no problem to thrive. Glad you enjoy my small MD/CJ.

mike3775, I have tried all the plops with the tab key and/or home-end key and none seem to line up correctly, impossible to make decent looking exits, therefor I decided to use regular Maxis highways where entries and exits are simplier and clean.
I have a lot of patience when it comes to building something, but there's a limit and trying to figure out the RHW which I have noh success with, now it is time to change for something better.
Building cities or towns slower and imagining a little story that comes with it's growth is really a lot of more fun and interesting than just to try to build a Megacity rightaway without getting to know the city's history and details. I am glad it changed your mind to build cities slower, hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
The constructionlots are not available anywhere, but I am working on 4 sets at the moment: Roadconstruction set, Highway construction set, bridgebuilding set and Logging set. Once finished and finetuned , these will be up for download. Might take awhile to rerender each of them with better textures (they were done quickly for this CJ), have them tweaked properly by a real Pro and make sure everything needed is included. Right now I am busy with RL, the GRV II Challenge and this CJ, but don't worry, it'll come one day. ;). If you need any of my unavailable Nexislots urgently, just pm me, I could send you the original Beta versions.

bat, Thanks and come back.

We will go back to Access Junction later tonight with a short update, it's been a couple of months now that the highway was finished in this area and has moved a couple miles down into the rivervalley and new folks have installed themselves at the intersection. Nothing much but of course a small story that comes along with it and maybe some interesting details.

Always looking for some folks to participate with a character in my story.

Fred

NASCAR_Guy

Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

mike3775

Thanks for the update on those lots.  Take your time,  and I'll grab them when they are uploaded. 

mrbisonm

Here is a small update again of the Winding River Project.
Only a couple of months later and Access Junction has offcially become a small municipality, although only 22 regular residents are living in or nearby. But as an important strategic location, Access Junction has good chances to become a successful town one day. As the overview shows, some more homes and small buissnesses have arrived. The construction of the sawmill was postponed because of the wintermonths, but just started again.

Already some plans for extensions have been made by several landowners, the newly chosen mayor Davy Greyston and actual citizens of Access Junction. On the picture below we can see some of the residential roads planned in the near future.

The game that started as a friendly meeting of the all kinds of workers has become more serious, as they have now once every three month a small tournament of soccer. John Gabber, Mike and several others are participating in this confrontation with players from another construction site.

Here's a view of "downtown" Access Jct. Even a  gas-station with a convenience store was built this winter. Although the highway is not officially opened yet, many people travel along on it to come to the highway constructionsite further down, but also traveling to the access road and people that live in this area already.

One of the most demanded commercial businesses are restaurants at this intersection, and every two months or so, another one pops up. They are full every noon of workers, loggers, architects, formen and truckers. Upper left is a trainwagon transformed to a restaurant that was hauled here only last week.

With some subventions from the government and a donation from the son of Mr Racsan, Guy Racsan who is a Bluebay College Graduate in Engineering, a small powerproducing diesel unit and a watertower with a pump were built just in the backyard of the new Slye-Gabber sawmill. Now they have water and electricity in Access Jct.

The foundations of the new sawmill were layed and in a couple of weeks some of the buildings will be standing and waiting to function. Young TS is quite happy now, spending most of his days looking after the constructions and watching his dream grow.

Meanwhile a few km's from there further north, the whole highway construction came to a full stop when one of the workers found some petrified rocks that look like a dinosaure. Everybody saw the pile of "rocks", the loggers even have cut all the trees around it without realizing what it was, until one of the workers took his dinnerbox on top of it and while eating his lunch he started to look around and realized that it were petrified bones of some kind all around him. The government was informed right away, so was John Gabber who came to the site instantly with Mike, the program manager and Grandpa Gabber.
««John started to wonder, while looking at Mike and his father: " First the stoneskulls at the small creek, then the crushed airplane in the lake and now this, a dinosaure?," Mike shook his shoulder while Grandpa Gabber said," You know, it seems like a lot of hidden stuff here, I think we haven't even seen anything yet. Do you guys realize the size of the region and imagine what could be hidden here? This is still undiscovered country" John answered right away, " Ha...it wouldn't surprize me to find Atlantis on the next highwaycorner," bursting out in a good laugh together with Mike and Grandpa.»»

This is surely one important find and the government will probably make sure that it will be well preserved, maybe even moved to Capitol City's historical museum.

That's it again, I'll be back later this week. Now I've got to take care of the GRV II Challenge for a few days. Hope you again liked this update. Thanks for leaving a comment and drop in to encourage.

Fred

metarvo

Oh, yes, it seems like you've learned how to use the RHW.  Between the dinosaur bones and the giant skulls from earlier, I would say that the Winding River area might have quite a museum one day, but it's your choice.  Keep up the good work, Fred!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

BarbarossaS

Wow, first the skulls, then the downed plane and now a dinosaur. Wonder what more the wilderness over there has in store for us  :P
Lovely small update by the way Fred, I'm glad TS' sawmill is under construction  :thumbsup:
Love the soccer game too, I'm a fervent soccer player myself, so I think I know how serious these tournements are for the workers  :P

-Stijn-

mike3775

I want to live here  :)

Great update

NASCAR_Guy

The Racsan family have shown interest of opening a water botteling next to the powerplant

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=4530 here the building we are planning to build ;)
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

bat

Great new update there! It looks really nice! :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Quote from: metarvo on April 26, 2009, 08:29:53 PM
Oh, yes, it seems like you've learned how to use the RHW.
Not sure, but this time something worked out fine (more or less)..... :) 

Quote from: metarvo on April 26, 2009, 08:29:53 PMBetween the dinosaur bones and the giant skulls from earlier, I would say that the Winding River area might have quite a museum one day, but it's your choice. 

Hm.....looks like you got the idea.  ;)

Quote from: mike3775 on April 27, 2009, 05:23:18 AM
I want to live here  :)
Great update

Make up a character and pm me with the details (name,age,profession now later etc) and I'll make sure you'll find a spot to live there. Deal?

NASCAR_Guy, not in this town, but another one that will come soon enough. Good idea.

Quote from: BarbarossaS on April 27, 2009, 03:05:12 AM
Wow, first the skulls, then the downed plane and now a dinosaur. Wonder what more the wilderness over there has in store for us.

Who knows?

Thanks bat.

Fred

turtle

Nice update  :thumbsup:
It's good fun to read the story, and I bet you also enjoy playing the game more when you make up all these small details :)
The pictures are very convincing!
My name is Thomas...

mike3775

Quote from: turtle on April 27, 2009, 01:01:45 PM
Nice update  :thumbsup:
It's good fun to read the story, and I bet you also enjoy playing the game more when you make up all these small details :)
The pictures are very convincing!

That is very true.  Reading this entire thread, I decided to try my hand at building a metropolis nice and slow, and the amount of time its taking is staggering, but I am enjoying it immensely.  I can only imagine Fred taking his time and really enjoying it as well

kimcar

;D Nice idea this dinosaur. You surely have to do a museum over there.  Good job  :thumbsup:

danielcote

Wow awsome dinosaur! Is that place going to turn into a town?